New Member April 4, 2021 - Buying low carb wet food in Ontario

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Drew Morey, Apr 4, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drew Morey

Drew Morey New Member

Hello -

I've been doing some research into diet for my diabetic 12 year old tabby, who was on Caninsulin for a few months, and has been on Prozinc for several more. We have Gary's bg levels managed between the low 20's and 5+, on a mixed diet of the wet and dry Purina Pro Plan Veterinary brand.

Reading posts on your forum, as well as studying the Lisa Pierson Cat Food Database, I see that many people are feeding their diabetic cats an all wet diet of certain Fancy Feast brands, particularly, Classic, and paying considerably less doing so.

The Classic brand of Fancy Feast is not available in Canada, as far as I can tell, though numerous other varieties of Fancy Feast are on the shelf at Walmart or through Amazon.

Can anyone shed more light on where to buy items on the Database?

Thanks very much!

2. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Waving from the Kawarthas. Welcome.

In Canada, Fancy Feast Classic and Friskies Classic are called pates.

3. beggargirl

beggargirl Member

4. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Some more options for you: CANADIAN Food Chart

I buy a lot of the other products in the database is specialty pet food stores. I'm in BC, but a lot of common stores, like Pet Valu. Petsmart has some too.

beggargirl and Drew Morey like this.
  5. Drew Morey

Drew Morey New Member

6. Drew Morey

Drew Morey New Member

7. beggargirl

beggargirl Member

yes. I think all of the ones that’s are Pate should be low carb. My cat preferred the chicken pate, and the liver and chicken pâté, and sometimes some of the different fish flavour pates.

that pack you indicated should be good!

8. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

They are fine, Drew. Any of the pates. Also, the roasted, flaked and chunky.

Here is the food chart we use (some options are USA only). Scroll down to Fancy Feast. You also want a couple of cans of Fancy Feast Gravy Lovers (considered high carb – ove r15% carbs) and a couple of cans of medium carb (11-15%) for your hypo kit.
    It is also important to home test to keep your cat safe. A human meter is fine. The pet meter strips are crazy expensive in Canada. A number of people use the FreestyleLite. A few use a strip subscription service and a different meter. I'm tagging @Butters & Lyla for that.

We can help you with every step of this journey.

Just in case:

Butters & Lyla likes this.
  9. Butters & Lyla

Butters & Lyla Well-Known Member

Hi, I'll send you some info on diabetic supplies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.