New Member asking for help

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Tal and Banj, Jan 13, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tal and Banj

Tal and Banj New Member

Hi there, I'm a new member.

My cat and myself have just moved into a new place from our old place. He's been hiding under the couch and bed since we got here last night. I'm asking for some tips on how to make him get used the new place quicker. He's also diabetic and hasn't ate since last night, which was very little. His last dose was yesterday morning at 9:30. My vet said it was fine for him to miss one dose. He still hasn't ate this morning, I have his food out in a place where he can see it along with his water, which he hasn't drank either. His regular feeding time is 9 am and 9 pm. I've tried bringing his food to him and I've also tried putting him in front of his food, he just won't eat it. I'm worried that if he doesn't get his insulin that something will happen to him. Him not eating is new to me, as he's always ready for his food and eats every time it is set out for him. I do not do home testing also. Thank you so much for the help.

2. Karen&Rocket

Karen&Rocket Member

Hello! Welcome. I'm sure you've tried this, but do you have any special treats that your kitty likes? The freeze-dried meat ones (in the US, Purebites is one brand many of us use) are perfect for diabetics. Otherwise maybe something stinky -- try luring him out with a bit of tuna? When my cat is feeling finicky I sprinkle either of those onto his regular food (or even just the water that the tuna comes packed in), and it'll get him started.

As for the new place - be sure to have some of his old things with his scent on them laying around -- blanket, his bed, whatever - it will help him feel like he owns something in the new space, and hopefully he'll feel more comfortable. Please keep us posted. :)

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
  3. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

When you first move, it's best to put the cat into one room, like a bedroom, with his food, water, litterbox and some familiar objects from "home"

Give him a few days to acclimate and gradually let him go out and explore the rest of the new house (and have things with his scent on them scattered around)

Congrats on the new house!!

4. Dusty Bones

Dusty Bones Member

When I first brought Dusty home after adoption he was doing the same thing so I pulled him out from under the bed and just held him in my lap to help him calm down. It also helps if you sit at his level next to his food, that might make him come out on his own too. Talk to him in a soothing voice and tell him it's ok. As others have suggested place toys, beds, blankets and other things he can smell and recognize from your old home.

5. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

Also use either Feliway or Rescue Remedy to help reduce the stress of being in a new place. If you can confine him to one room for a few days, that would be best. When you see he is getting comfortable with his new room, leave the door open and allow him to explore the rest of the house on his own.

6. Tal and Banj

Tal and Banj New Member

Hi there guys !

Just an update on Banjo, I went and got him a can of tuna and as soon as I opened it he came out from under the couch and ate it ! I didn't do my research on moving with a pet to a new home, I didn't know I was to start him off in just a room for now, He's been spending his time under the couch in the living room. I do however have his food, water and litter in my room right now. I'm not sure if that's going to help him if he has been under the couch. I'm just a bit worried about leaving him home by himself all day tomorrow as I have to go back to work.
    Thank you guys for all your help !!

Karen&Rocket likes this.
  7. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

He probably will be fine tomorrow and with no one around, start exploring his new home. Leave his food and litter box where it is easy for him to find.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.