new member Buddy's mom

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Buddy & Hillary, Sep 10, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Buddy & Hillary

Buddy & Hillary Member

My cat Buddy is about 10 years old. He was a stray who came to us one winter and took up residence under our barn. Last Nov 2020 he was diagnosed. We worked with our vet starting with a 1u dose daily and reporting weekly curve numbers. I test him in his paws because his ears are damaged, we are guessing that he may have been hit by a car before finding our barn.
    After several months working with the vet he was gradually increased from 1 unit to 2 then 3 then 4. At four he went into shock and we nearly lost him. Thankfully, my mother was a diabetic and I knew to give him a small dose of honey from my finger, and he bounced back. So since then I have been testing him twice a day after meals and giving him 1 unit if he is over 225-250.
    This morning he was 245 so I gave him the one unit. BUT he did not eat anything all morning and at noon I tested and he was down to 35, so I gave him some honey. By 3.30 he was back up to 253 and had still not eaten anything. At 6:30 he was up to 327 and did eat some dinner, so I gave him another 1 unit. Right now at 9pm he is 147. I will be watching him carefully now so that he does not drop back down to dangerous levels.
    I read your prozinc forum about dosing methods. I had not been dosing him every twelve hours but according to readings after meals. My question is about the slow method on the forum. Would it be wise to start a 1/2 unit dose morning and evening and see if he stabilizes?
    Thankyou

2. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

3. Diane Tyler's Mom

4. Diane Tyler's Mom

Hi Hillary
    Can you fill out your signature please so members won't have to keep asking you
    I hope you are feeling better :cat:

Go all the way up top to you name tap on it and a drop box will appear , you will see the word signature, tap that and just add all your information about Nani and hit save.

Take a look at my signature all about Tyler all signatures are at the end of everyone's posts in gray

Add info we need to help you:
    • Caregiver & kitty's name
    • DX: Date
    • Name of Insulin (do not include dose or frequency)
    • Name of your meter
    • Diet: "LC wet" or "dry food" or "combo"
    • Dosing: TR or SLGS or Custom (if applicable)
    • DKA or other recent health issue (if applicable)
    • Acro, IAA, or Cushings (if applicable)
    • Spreadsheet link. Please put the signature link on the bottom line of your signature information, on its own, so it is easy to find.

5. Diane Tyler's Mom

Last edited: Sep 11, 2021
    Bandit's Mom likes this.
  6. Buddy & Hillary

Buddy & Hillary Member

I filled out the signature page as requested. and looked at the spreadsheet. I don't think I would have trouble setting it up. I have a spreadsheet for him on my mac laptop in "numbers". But I don't understand all the abbreviations and what they refer to. My records cover morning and evening BG levels and the dosage of PZ. I do see that there are some entries that say no dose, so that may apply to his several months in remission. After I make a spreadsheet in his name I will need help filling in the information and how to read the results.

7. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

The morning and evening bg would be amps ( am (morning) pre shot) and pmps ( pm (evening) preshot. Units is how many units you gave. The +1, 2, ect are for tests done mid cycle. So if you gave the shot at 7 am then tested at 11am, that number would go in +4.

8. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

That dose was raised WAYYYY too quickly. Increases should be made in 0.25-0.5 increments rather than whole units.

Is lower that dose to 0.5 when the preshots tests are over 200.

9. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

This is a link to a post that has a good deal of the information you've already been given. It does have a link to a post on how to use the spreadsheet that explains what everything means. The link also has information about handling low numbers and/or hypoglycemia and some of the other basics.

You want to add the signature to the bottom of your post. The link above also has those instructions. Having the information (see Janet's signature and mine) gives us basic information about you and your cat so we don't harass you by asking the same questions repeatedly.

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  10. Buddy & Hillary

Buddy & Hillary Member

I have spent the last few days mining the FD site and have made the changes you have suggested. I have slightly altered my testing times to reflect the before food test and wait to make sure he is going to eat before administering the dose. And have moved to the .5 dose if the BG is over 200. He was in remission for such a long time after I put him on the diet that this website recommended (last Dec) that I was confused when his numbers started peaking again.
    My next project is to set up the SS and transfer his records.

JanetNJ likes this.
  11. Diane Tyler's Mom

Your signature should be at the bottom of your post , it's in your information right now, just follow the instructions above :cat:

12. Buddy & Hillary

Buddy & Hillary Member

Thank you for your support. We will be away the next four days. Our excellent cat sitter will be taking care of Buddy. She has been instructed in the change to the SLGS .5 if over 200 before food. I will set up the SS with readings for last week and this week when we get home. The last three days his readings have all been below 200. So no insulin.

13. Buddy & Hillary

Buddy & Hillary Member

I have set up my signature and SS for Buddy and am transitioning to SLGS. He has been on the carb free/low carb diet for months now.
    My question is about switching from the U-40 to U-100 syringes. I am starting with a .5 dose of insulin morning & evening. But the U-40 are not as accurate as I would wish. On the conversion chart supplied here I see that there is not a direct conversion from .5. There are two available .4 or .6. which would you recommend?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.