New Member - Dealing With Seizures and Dialing in PZI

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Rs1sensen, Sep 26, 2021.

1. Rs1sensen

Rs1sensen New Member

Hi - I have a 16lb, 9 year old Maine Coon, Max, who was diagnosed with diabetes around a year ago. We've done a series of curves at the vets office, and thought we had him dialed in.

About 2-3 weeks ago, my wife was home and saw him have a seizure.

Today he had one can of food at about 9am and I administered 3 units of PZI.

2:20pm he had another seizure. My wife was able to get him to take about a tsp of Karo Syrup right away.

3pm I tested his glucose using a CVS brand glucose monitor, and he was a 65. I gave him a bit more syrup, and then got him to eat a can of food. I picked up the meter today, so I'm not sure what his typical curve is - it has always only been done at the vet. Total amateur at this part.

4:30pm I tested his glucose again, and it dropped to 55. Gave more food.

6:30pm gave more food.

7:15 - Tested again 87

9:45 - Tested at 146

12:15 tested at 76

Our current Prozinc dosage from the vet is 3 units, 2X per day right after eating. Food is Purina Fancy Feast Chicken Pate. He eats 3 can per day. 1 at 9am, 1 at 6pm, and 1 at 10pm.

Any advice?

Last edited: Sep 26, 2021
  2. Rs1sensen

Rs1sensen New Member

3. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Hi there,

Good catch on the testing and karo/food. Unfortunately I can't open the attached file. Cats' insulin needs do change over time.

Do you have a hypo kit and plenty of test strips? Can you stay around to monitor? Is there a history of ketones or DKA?

If you can monitor and have a hypo kit, I'd suggest tonight's dose be something like 2U. Hold that dose for a few days, and get as many tests in as you can, especially 2 to 8 hours after eating. If you catch another low number please ask for help, the Feline Health forum usually has more traffic.

When you get a chance, can you please complete the steps here? A spreadsheet would be very helpful once you get more tests in.

A few more notes:
    Please be sure shots are 12hrs apart, +/- 1 hour

Food should be withheld 2 hrs prior to shot time

At shot time test BG, feed, the give a shot if it is safe to do so. We usually recommend 200mg/dL as the cutoff when starting out - above is safe, below we advise you stall 20 mins without feeding and post for help (again, Feline Health is best bet for anything urgent)

4. Rs1sensen

Rs1sensen New Member

Thanks for the tips - I really appreciate it.

I gave him a 1.5 unit dose for the evening out of caution. I would rather have him run a bit high tonight than let the sugar drop heavy again.

No history of ketone or DKA.

Will monitor him pretty closely in the coming days and weeks. Have lots of strips and it is a good study having a better personal understanding of what's going on with his health.

5. Christie & Maverick

Christie & Maverick Well-Known Member

Cats who have had symptomatic hypos can be more sensitive to insulin. Even with a reduced dose, I'd keep a close eye and test frequently, in case you need to intervene with high carb food or syrup.