? New member, first curve

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Michelle140, Sep 13, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michelle140

Michelle140 New Member

Hello! Thankful I found this page!
    My Spazzy cat was recently diagnosed with diabetes. I just did my first curve and plotted it on the spreadsheet (I hope I did it properly!) I have noticed that her numbers are still pretty high and she is still showing signs (excessive thirst and peeing frequently) but seems perfectly happy otherwise. I have tried to get her on wet food, I haven't given up but she is being very stubborn, she will lick wet food but not eat it... I did manage to switch her to dr. Elseys which I think is on the list for lower carb. She has been on that for 2 solid weeks now. She also won't eat the freeze dried treats, I caught my husband giving her a couple temptations treats, and said we probably shouldn't be doing that at all. So my question is, do you think I need to up her insulin starting with the 0.25? Or could that high of a number be from him sporadically giving her 2 tempting treats here and there?
    Thank you!!

2. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Michelle, here is the link for the dosing methods for lantus
    Since you are feeding dry food you would have to follow SLGS
    Can you please add that to your signature
    In the units column you have 0.31?
    Temptations are too high in carbs
    You can boil some chicken and give him that for a treat a small piece
    I will tag some members for you
    @tiffmaxee

@Wendy&Neko

@Chris & China (GA)

@Bandit's Mom

Last edited: Sep 13, 2021
    Michelle140 likes this.
  3. Michelle140

Michelle140 New Member

Thank you! I will try the chicken for sure. I added slgs to my signature and fixed my spreadsheet. Not sure what I did there, but its 2 units 2x a day. I will delve more into the Lantus pages in the morning. I feel like all I've been doing is reading, such a wealth of info which is so amazing, but I do want to get started on figuring out her proper dosing because I do see she's still high.

4. Diane Tyler's Mom

Thanks for fixing your SS, do you have syringes with the half unit markings?

5. Michelle140

Michelle140 New Member

Yes, I have them with half unit markings

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  6. Diane Tyler's Mom

Here is our food chart in case you haven't seen it, we like to stay under 10% carbs
    Preferably 5 and under. All wet food , glad you're not giving up trying to transition Spazzy to wet
    Here is an article on transitioning dry food addicts to wet.

Michelle140 likes this.
  7. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Welcome. Has she been on 2.0 the whole time? If not how long?

8. Michelle140

Michelle140 New Member

Yes, 2 the whole time. I haven't changed her from what the vet prescribed originally

9. tiffmaxee

That was a high starting dose. Will you be able to get an AMPS and PMPS every day and one other test in addition as needed?

Have you tested at all before today? If not and all we have ate today’s numbers it’s possible that the numbers were lower yesterday and this is a reaction. I’d like to see a couple tests each cycle tomorrow befire suggesting whether to increase. When a cat’s bg drops lower than their body is used to, they respond by bouncing high. Lantus is dosed based upon how low a dose takes the cat.

10. Michelle140

Michelle140 New Member

Thank you for the response. Yes, from what I've been reading here that is higher dose to start. If I had read all the info about hypoglycemia before I started treating her with the insulin I would have been terrified of how high a dose it was! When we went to the vet that first day, the vet said her bg was extremely high. But spazz was freaking out, very stressed as well which I am now seeing has an affect as well. The vet at first told me to get her switched on Purina md wet and then come back a week after her food was settled to do tests. I would have brought her in the morning after the first shot and left her for the day, but she also said if I was comfortable to do it at home it can sometimes be more accurate. So yesterday was the first day I tested every 2 hours. But I have done just sporadic checks and it never is below about 350.

But yes, to answer your question I am in a good position to test frequently. I work from home and Spazz is pretty tolerant of them.

11. tiffmaxee

Thank you for the additional information. With that I think you can safely increase to 2.25. If still high in a week a .50 increase might be needed. So get an amps and pmps. If able to a +2-3 would be good as well. If a lot lower than the preshot a +5-7 would be good. Do a different time each cycle. If the +2-3 is still high, no more tests are needed that cycle. Once you fill in the tests for a few days we can better help you as to when to test. It’s best if you can get her off the dry but that will take time and some cats just are dry food junkies. Most times they eventually will eat canned. Experiment with different low carb flavors and see if crumbling the lc dry on top of it helps.

Miggins likes this.
  12. Diane Tyler's Mom

@tiffmaxee
    Thanks for replying to my tag Elise :cat:

13. tiffmaxee

You’re welcome.

14. Michelle140

Michelle140 New Member

Hello again!
    I just did a curve today for Spazz, with the upped insulin of 2.5 units. I was excited when I started seeing her numbers get closer to the normal range, that hasn't happened for us yet. But then I got really disappointed to see her numbers spike so high at the end of the day! Over 500... I can't imagine why, she didn't get into anything to eat that I know of... and with the numbers much better during the day I don't think I would up the insulin again? I may call the vet on the morning, see what she thinks of the numbers. Her numbers during the day, I think they are still in the high range, right? Like 200s?

15. tiffmaxee

What you are seeing is a bounce from his bg getting into numbers that freak out his liver. It’s totally number and this is progress. You should not increase. The bounce can take as many as 4-6 cycles to clear or happen faster.

Michelle140 likes this.
  16. Michelle140

Michelle140 New Member

17. tiffmaxee

Yes. Tonight get a +2-3. If it’s high no further tests needed. Tomorrow morning if the amps is high do the same and the +2-3 is black, red , or pink I would get a later test just to make sure the bounce isn’t clearing. Post for advice if you have any questions.

Michelle140 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.