New member Freya says a cautious ’Hello’…

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by SwedishLiz, Feb 3, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SwedishLiz

SwedishLiz Member

Hello & thank you so much for welcoming Freya & I onto your site!
    Freya is a rescue cat whose age is guesstimated at about 12. She’s
    recently been drinking far too much, has been eating less than usual
    & has been more lethargic than normal. Her blood sugar was 33
    yesterday but she was particularly stressed on the way to the vet;
    today’s fructosamine was almost 500 so eek! 1st Lantus dose of 2
    given tonight & she already seems better-ish? I’m a type 1 diabetic
    of nearly 50yrs so no novice, but Freya is my 1st diabetic cat so all
    help gratefully received! Thank you!

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome Liz and Freya to the forum.
    First…could you remove the GA from the subject line please. It means Gone Ahead or Guardian Angel and is used widen a kitty has passed away.
    Lantus is an excellent insulin for cats. However 2 units given twice a day is too high a dose for a cat just starting insulin.
    The starting dose is 1/2 to 1 unit depending on what you are feeding.
    I would recommend you reduce the dose down to 1 unit twice a day.

Can you tell us what you are feeding Freya? A low carb canned food diet 10% or under is the recommended food for a diabetic cat. Dry food is too high in carbs and not suitable for diabetic cats at all.

To keep Freya safe I would recommend you think about hometesting the blood glucose. If you are a diabetic you will know how important it is to remain in safe numbers. Cats are no different.
    I am going to give you a couple of links to look through.
    HELP US HELP YOU this link has information about the spreadsheet, the signature which tells us about Freya….when we he,p you we look at both those for information….and the hypo kit which I would recommend you get set up asap, and other useful information for new members.

HOMETESTING HINTS AND LINKS this has information about how to go about learning to home test. You could use the same human meter you use for yourself. You just might need to buy another lancing device. The lancets you need are gauge 26 or 28.

Im assuming you are living in Sweden, is that correct? I’m not sure what cat foods you can get there but if you can get Fancy Feast pates, they are low carb.
    Bron

3. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Hello and welcome. I removed the GA tag on your subject line - it's not something we like to see as it's bad news.

Are you using syringes to dose the Lantus to Freya?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.