NEW MEMBER - Harry -Help - tricky cat

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Adro & Harry & FinnFinn, Dec 30, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adro & Harry & FinnFinn

Adro & Harry & FinnFinn New Member

Hello everyone-Happy Holidays! After a ton of research and lurking on this site, I realized that I had not introduced myself. My name is Adrienne and my best friend’s name is Harry.

Harry is a rescue cat that is 13 years old and was just diagnosed with diabetes (11/2020). He is a chatterbox, extremely stubborn, and extremely smart. His health is excellent other than his diabetes diagnosis. My vet has prescribed him with 1unit of ProZinc 2 x a day. He has gone to one glucose curve appointment BUT the vet has a difficult time with Harry because he does not cooperate with the vet. (He is a little rebel, I tell ya).

The vet gave me the Royal Canine prescription wet food, but, after research I decided on Ziwi Peak wet food and have noticed a major transformation with my cat.

Anyway, Harry is due for another glucose curve and I am beyond nervous that his levels will be high out of anxiety alone. It takes 2 of us to give him his insulin. Harry psychically knows when it’s vet time and we get in a yelling match (kind of kidding) flat out war to get him there. The vet says that I should give him pills to sedate him before he visits. I would rather learn how to do glucose curves at home than have to drug him up to see the vet each time.

I will also add that I love my vet but it appears that many Vets have differing opinions on treatment of diabetes in felines - no disrespect, just frustrated.

Anyone else have success doing glucose levels with their rebelliously stubborn feline friends?

Attached Files:

Shelley & Jess and Critter Mom like this.
  2. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Oh, he's beautiful! Welome to yourself and Harry, Adrienne. He sounds quite the character! :cat:

First up, I'd suggest changing your thread title to let members know you need help learning to test a 'tricky kitty' because that's likely to get you some help more specific to your situation. (Click on Thread Tools above your opening post to change the title.)

In case you haven't found them yet, here are some helpful resources to assist you in learning the basics of testing, plus a good video on counter-conditioning (video focuses on injections but techniques can also be applied to home testing):

Home testing links and tips

Testing and injection tips

Two things that probably help the most with testing: getting the cat to associate the activity with something they very much enjoy; and really, really, really warming the ear.

If Harry gets stressed at the vets then, yes, that's likely to influence the curve readings. I don't know what impact giving him a sedative prior to the vet visit might have on readings (but other members may be able to give you pointers on this).

Am I correct to infer this is a positive transformation? What changes have you observed?

I know that one well. How do they do that? :confused:

Mogs

Last edited: Dec 30, 2020
    Reason for edit: Grammar.
  3. Adro & Harry & FinnFinn

Hello MOGS,

Thank you for the links!

It was very easy to transition Harry to Ziwi Peak wet food. It was as if he reacted with a “FINALLY, Mom!”
    As for transformation from a diet if Ziwi wet food - his fur started to feel softer, energy was kitten like, no smelly poos, skin was nicer, hardly any hairballs, eyes are clear. The response was/is the same for my cat FinnFinn. They look, act, and feel healthier.

Critter Mom likes this.
  4. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

I'm glad to hear that both Harry and FinnFinn are getting so much benefit from their new grub. :)

Mogs

5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

My girl Neko wasn't fond of her vet either. :p Even for simple blood work, it took two people, some towels and I once saw a muzzle go into the room. I had to stay outside the door. The one "curve" there (before I found this place), was a bit of a disaster. Vet only got a couple tests in. Contrast that to home testing. I started the "rub ear, give treat" routine for a couple days before attempting it. Once I had Neko settled in my lap for actual testing, the drama came from me instead of my cat. :rolleyes: I wasn't very good at first, we didn't have all the good videos we have now. Didn't help was my response to seeing blood. It only took a couple days before we had it down pat. Both Neko and my other kitty lined up ready to get their treats once I started making preparations. The rice sock didn't work as well, so I used a old film canister filled with warm water. So as soon as I started running the hot water, the cats knew it was time to head to the testing spot.

My long winded way of saying - don't expect to be perfect the first couple tests. We have lots of tips to help make it easier. But you will get there. We've had numerous people with semi feral or very difficult cats to test that do come around. Above all, relax, cats know when you are tense. Some people sing to their cats, whatever it takes. As for shooting, some people do it when their cat's head is in the food bowl.

6. Adro & Harry & FinnFinn

Thank you for the encouragement. I laughed at the “muzzle” in the room. I’m sure the Vet Wanted to do that. My partner and I are adjusting to giving the insulin shots-it can be a “war” sometimes. I admit, Harry may be reacting to our anxiety. Your encouragement gives me hope.

What testing kit did or are you using?

Critter Mom likes this.
  7. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

You can use either a human glucose meter or pet one. Many of us use human glucose meters since they are less expensive to use and the test strips are available at any pharmacy. The Walmart Relion brand meters are used by a lot of our members.

You will test before every shot. Also you can do your own curves and this will eliminate the trips to the vet just for testing.

Bribery with low carb treats works great to help cats learn to accept home testing. :cat:

8. Adro & Harry & FinnFinn

Oh, good to know! I will see if I can find that one. Thank you so much! Do you test everyday?

My lil’ friends are suckers for their treats. They seem to like PUREBITES Chicken or Duck. I get the package for dogs and break it up for them. It is cheaper and bigger bang for your buck.

Critter Mom likes this.
  9. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Most of us use the human meter from Walmart The Relion Prime 9 dollars or the Relion Premier
    Test strips are 17.88 for 100 strips
    Buy 26 or28 gauge lancets
    Most of us test freehand just using the lancets
    Some buy the lancing device
    I find you have more control just using the lancet and can see where you are poking.
    Get some cotton rounds to put behind the ear just in case you poke yourself
    Then just press gently on the ear to stop the bleeding about 10 seconds
    If his ears ever look sore you can put a thin layer of Neosporin Ointment with Pain Relief, make sure it's NOT the Cream
    Have honey or Karo on hand in case he ever drops to low

Your vet most likely tell you to purchase the Alpha Trak 2 Pet
    Meter. The meter runs about 45.00 -50.00 dollars
    The strips around 54.00 for only 50 strips

You will be testing a lot in the beginning and going thru a lot of test
    strips. Plus you have to order them on line in case your vet
    doesn't carry them.

It's up to you what meter you want to use.
    Just tell the vet you can't afford the price for the test strips

10. Diane Tyler's Mom

Always aim for the sweet spot warm the ears up first, you can put rice in a sock and put it in the microwave, test it on the inside of your wrist to be sure it's not to hot, like you would test a babies bottle. You can fill a pill bottle with warm water and roll it on the ears also
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    6. As the ears get used to bleeding and grow more capilares, it gets easier to get the amount of blood you need on the first try. If she won’t stand still, you can get the blood onto a clean finger nail and test from there

11. Adro & Harry & FinnFinn

Thank you for the advice! I will pick these up!

12. Diane Tyler's Mom

Hi Adrienne , yes you test every day
    You test first thing in the morning that's called AMPS(AM Pre Shot)
    You want to make sure Harry's BG is a safe number to give him the insulin

You withhold food 2 hours prior to this test, you don't want it to be food influenced
    After testing, feeding , the shooting we test at least twice , preferably more
    to see how the insulin is working and how low it's dropping his BG

Example
    If you give his insulin at 8 AM
    You can test him 2 hours later ( we call this +2) 10.00 AM
    Then maybe 4 hours later. 12.00 noon (+4)
    Then. 6 hours later 2:00 PM. (+6)

Same thing with his night time shot. 8:00 PM
    Withhold food 2 hours prior to PMPS. (PM Pre Shot)

Test a couple times after the PM Shot
    Maybe test @+2( two hours after PM Shot )10:00 PM

You want to vary the times , like filling in pieces of a puzzle

+2
    +5
    +7
    +9
    These are just examples

We have a spreadsheet we all use to record their BG numbers
    In case you ever need help with dosing the members will look at
    Harry's spreadsheet and give you advice if needed.

I will give you the link if you want to set it up and another link
    describing how it works. If you have trouble setting it up just
    tell us, we have someone who will do it for you

Look at mine it's at the end of my posts.
    It say Tyler's spreadsheet
    You can loom at others also

We feed our cats multiple times a day.
    The bigger meals at AM and PM tests
    Then in between smaller meals or treats

You do not have to withhold food then while testing then.
    Save yourself money and do the curve at home

Harry is so adorable

Last edited: Dec 30, 2020
  13. Diane Tyler's Mom

14. Diane Tyler's Mom

15. Diane Tyler's Mom

The curve would be done every 2 hours
    EXAMPLE
    Give insulin at 7:00 AM
    Test at 9:00 AM. (+2)
    Test at 11:00 AM. (+4)
    Test at. 1:00 PM. (+6)
    Test at. 3:00 PM. (+8)
    Test at. 5:00 PM. (+10)
    Test at. 7:00 PM. Which would be your PMPS test
    You can feed as you normally would

We use the + signs because we are all in different time zones so telling us
    something was at let's say 10:00 AM tells us nothing
    So we put +2 etc

I hope everything I posted helps you out
    Just keep asking questions, if it wasn't for these members and their knowledge
    and advice my cat wouldn't be doing this great
    They are a very caring group of people

Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
  16. Adro & Harry & FinnFinn

Beautiful advice! Thank you so much! I am going to get the materials and set up a spreadsheet. I am so grateful for everyone’s help.

Little Tyler is so pretty!

17. Diane Tyler's Mom

Lol little Tyler, He weighs 18 lbs. He used to be 23 so at least we are getting there
    Good luck with everything
    It will all work out :cat:

18. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I am in Canada, so choices are different that the US. However, back in those days I could cross border shop so actually did have a Relion meter. Our dosing methods are based on human meters, it's easier to get strips at late hours, plus the test strips are cheaper. All good reasons to get a human based meter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.