New Member Hunter 10-28 AMPS 457

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by JENNof2, Oct 25, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JENNof2

JENNof2 New Member

https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/new-member-10-24-hunter-amps-309-4-166.270012/#post-3011094

New member, so I hope I linked yesterdays post and ss and signature are updated correctly.

Hunters numbers were in 100s range all afternoon yesterday, and vet advised if PMPS was below 250, no shot, so NS was given as his PMPS was 173.

this morning, his AMPS was 485, the highest it has been. gave dose and at +1 he is at 359. was this a bounce?
    have a call in to vet to ask about altering dose later today instead of eliminating?

does feeding small amounts during the day effect this at all, and what about over night?

vet called and advises to stay with 2 u if over 250 for a few days to help regulate.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2022
    Reason for edit: other info
  2. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA) Well-Known Member

I posted all the info on your previous thread. He was higher this am because he had no insulin last night so that’s normal. I continue to disagree with your vet on the 2 units starting dose. I believe it’s too high and he should be at 1 unit twice a day to start. As I said before, smaller meals throughout the day are totally fine. That’s what most of us do. If you have him at a dose that’s too high and you keep having to skip doses because he goes too low, it’s harder to get him regulated as insulin needs consistency. I believe that’s the main issue here, but would love to hear other members feedback.

In addition, most vets dose by the preshot numbers as evidenced by what your vet said. We here dose by the nadir, or the lowest your cat goes in a cycle. The 98 you got yesterday an hour after feeding is an indication he would have gone even lower without the food. I would go down to at least 1.5 units. Do you have 1/2 unit marked syringes?

lastly, if you could do us a huge favor and use the “like” feature to indicate that you’ve read our posts, that would be great. Thank you!

Last edited: Oct 26, 2022
  3. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

I agree with what Ale has said

4. Diane Tyler's Mom

@FrostD
    Let's see what Melissa thinks

5. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

I would go down to 1.5U twice a day and see if that allows you to shoot twice a day (Ale's explanation is spot on). You should be able to shoot that as long as he's above 200; below that it's generally better to do a somewhat reduced dose if possible (we can help with that).

6. Diane Tyler's Mom

It's very important to get some tests after PMPS ,if not you are onky seeing half the picture .

Last edited: Oct 26, 2022
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.