New Member, new dx

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by LoveforTucker, Jul 6, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LoveforTucker

LoveforTucker Member

Hi everyone! My name is Jami. I'm from KC-ish MO lol. I have 2 kitties. Katie 13 and Tucker who was just recently was dx. Vet started him on Prozinc 2 iu. Tucker is 5 yr 9lbs. Seems young to me.. I've been stalking this message board for a few days now. Great information already!! I just ordered my Relion glucometer, switched to wet cat food Blue Healthy gormet 8% a little high in carbs but better than the dry food I was feeding SMH, If I only knew!! , I'm ready to tackle this! As soon as I get my glycometer I'll switch to a lower carb food FF.
    When I took Tucker in, he did have an infection/fever. I wonder with the infection and stress he read higher. 495. I'm curious to check him again once I get my glycometer.
    Looking forward to meeting all of you.

2. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome Jami and Tucker!!!

you sure did your homework, good for you! :bighug:

I’m not a prozync expert, but I do know most folks here recommend starting at 1 unit not 2. Did you start his shots already or are you waiting for the meter? Btw, I love my ReliOn and let us know if you have any questions for us!!

can you add a bit more info to your signature? It’s helpful for us to have all the highlights at a glance:

Make sure your signature is up-to-date.
    • On the left, under Settings, Click on Signature. This is where you will put information that helps us give you feedback.
      • There is a limit of two lines which may include two links; you may separate pieces with commas, dashes, | etc. This is where you paste the link for your spreadsheet, once it is set up.
      • Add any other text, such as
      • Caregiver & kitty's name (optional)
      • DX: Date
      • Name of Insulin
      • Name of your meter
      • Diet: "LC wet" or "dry food" or "combo"
      • Dosing: TR or SLGS or Custom (if applicable)
      • DKA or other recent health issue (if applicable)
      • Acro, IAA, or Cushings (if applicable)
      • Spreadsheet link. Please put the signature link on the bottom line of your signature information, on its own, so it is easy to find.
      • Please do not put any information about your location in the signature for security reasons. If you wish to add your country location, please add it to your profile.
    Be sure to click the 'Save Changes' button at the bottom. If you need help urgently it is important we know these things at a glance. We don’t want to waste valuable time finding out information.

Thank you and welcome again!

Dusty & Roe and LoveforTucker like this.
  3. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

WELCOME TO FDMB
    Our Ale has already given you good advice So I'm here to say ,glad you found us and KEEP READING AND ASKING QUESTIONS.
    We are a community of dedicate cat lovers who all happen to be tied to this disease that is diabetes. Welcome to the club you never knew you'd come to belong. You are family and we all will work together to help you help Tucker.:bighug:
    Again welcome to the best darn site to help you navigate this disease.
    jeanne.;):coffee:

4. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

Welcome!!

You are already at at very good start, all these can be a bit overwhelming at first but it will get easier, and to answer your question yes infection can raise blood glucose numbers, which means you do need to monitor him a bit as the infection clears, because his numbers could go down a little bit ( wouldn't say so much as to normal but lower) good thing you are getting the blood glucose monitor :)

5. LoveforTucker

LoveforTucker Member

Hi Ale! Thank you! I did start the injections. I wanted to get it going as soon as I could. I should get the meter tomorrow :) Thank you for all the tips so far!! I need to get used to all the abbreviations here. :)

6. LoveforTucker

LoveforTucker Member

Hi Jeanne! Thank you!! From what I see so far this place seems like an amazing place!! So happy I found it!

7. LoveforTucker

LoveforTucker Member

Thank you!! Glad to be here! I feels as though I'm already easing up a bit. Nerves! LOL :nailbiting:

8. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

I’m tagging our in-house prozync expert @Deb & Wink ;) she usually logs in at night

9. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

And what Veronica said is absolutely spot on. Good thing you’ll be home testing because the number could drop significantly once infections clear. Minnie was on the 200’s and when she was fighting pneumonia and still had cardiomyopathy and she’s been up in 400’s now. Also numbers should be lower at home with less stress than at the vet.

thanks for updating your signature! :)

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
  10. Lalkabee

Lalkabee Member

Welcome Jami and Tucker! My cat is also on prozinc and i am kinda new. Bee was DX almost 3 months ago and i think i know a lot. Do you have antibiotics for the infection?

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
  11. jt and trouble (GA)

Ohhh Look at Tucker!!! Swoooon

12. Dusty & Roe

Dusty & Roe Member

Hi Jami Katie and Tucker what a Cutie . Jami ask as many questions as you can think of that’s how you will learn . This forum has so many knowledgeable people that can help it’s amazing .

13. LoveforTucker

LoveforTucker Member

Hi there! That's good to know about the PRozinc! I'll probably be picking your brain! :) The vet gave him an antibiotic shot while we were there. He's doing a lot better. He had conjunctivitis, eyes are much better now!

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  14. LoveforTucker

LoveforTucker Member

Thanks for the suggestion about my siggie!! I've been studying on how to navigate the spreadsheet to. Very excited about home testing. He hates his ears being touched. I've been softly rubbing them over the last couple days so he gets used to me messing with them Muhahaha..

15. LoveforTucker

LoveforTucker Member

I've had also shamefully just been setting food out all day for an 'open buffet'. Now I'm time feeding both my kitties. Tucker weighs 9lbs and Katie 12lbs Shes a large long hair tuxedo. I've been giving one 3 oz can to each at 6am and 6pm. this is also when Tucker gets his shots. They beg me for food throughout he day. Are they really hungry or just bored and used to the buffet? Le sigh..

16. LoveforTucker

LoveforTucker Member

Thank you!! Hes so spoiled LOL I made him that couch. He loves the little throw pillows! YOUR kitty!! Look at those eyes!! So pretty!!!

17. Shelley & Jess

Shelley & Jess Member

Unregulated diabetic cats cannot process their food properly that's why most lose weight before diagnosis. He really is hungry.

(from another thread, posted by Nan & Amber):
    Most of us feed multiple meals throughout the day. The "only two meals a day" is old thinking for feline diabetes-- most cats have a much easier time maintaining level BG with multiple meals.

18. LoveforTucker

LoveforTucker Member

Oh goodness! Thank you so much!

Shelley & Jess likes this.
  19. jt and trouble (GA)

You MADE that couch? What a lucky kitty cat! My avatar is Waldo. He passed away back in 2011. (Im not good with technology so cant even remember how to update my avatar :p Besides I love this pic of my Waldo.):bighug:

Sending scritches for Tucker.

20. LoveforTucker

LoveforTucker Member

I did! I have a little side crochet gig. :) During this quarantine I needed something to keep me busy! I have issues with technology too! Getting that spreadsheet up and going was stressin' meowt! :arghh:

21. jt and trouble (GA)

BTW?... We need a picture of Katie too... you know that ol' equal opportunity thing:p

LoveforTucker likes this.
  22. LoveforTucker

LoveforTucker Member

Haa! Once I figure that out I'll post one! :)

23. jt and trouble (GA)

i hear that! lmao Ive been here since 2007?8? well and here I am...clueless.

24. LoveforTucker

LoveforTucker Member

upload_2020-7-7_9-20-50.png
    Here's my Katie!!

JanetNJ and Shelley & Jess like this.
  25. LoveforTucker

LoveforTucker Member

Wow! You have been on here for awhile! Good for you! I'll bet you've really helped so many people during your journey:bighug:

26. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

One can twice a day is definitely not enough food. You need to do a calorie count. That’s less about 150 calories and most cats should be close to a 300 calorie a day. There’s a formula to figure it out for your cat based on ideal weight. Diabetic cats also lose weight just by peeing since there’s sugar in their urine. To give you an idea 300 calories for Minnie equals about 4 3oz cans a day

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
  27. jt and trouble (GA)

Not so much help but I CAN encourage and lift! It comes naturally.
    I owe this place a huge debt, one I an HAPPY to pay. This place literally saved Troubles life AND my sanity.

28. LoveforTucker

LoveforTucker Member

Gracious! I'm under feeding them! :arghh: I'm at work today, already messaged my husband at home to feed them again around noon. (Fed this morning at 6am) Thank you for that information! So helpful!!

29. Shelley & Jess

Shelley & Jess Member

We recommend feeding anything less than 10% carbs.

Did you remove all kibble? Removing high carb dry from the diet can significantly drop the BG.

The infection clearing can drop the BG even more.

Also, as Ale mentioned back in post #2 the FDMB recommended starting dose found here: Prozinc Dosing Method Sticky is:
    • 1u BID if kitty is not on a wet/canned low carb diet
    • 0.5u BID if kitty has been switched to a wet/canned low carb diet
    Have you had a chance to look at the Prozinc Stickys over in the Prozinc ISG?

Home testing is so important with all these changes going on. Please let us know when you start testing and how you make out - there's all sorts of tips and tricks we can point you to if needed to help you be successful.

30. LoveforTucker

LoveforTucker Member

Hi there! I did remove all kibble. Both of my kitties are now on Blue gourmet which has the 8% carbohydrate count. I should be getting my meter in tomorrow!! Squee!! Currently he is on 2u. I thought about lowering his dose, but, I really want to test first. Tucker seems to be feeling fine again. Not acting crazy thirsty or showing extreme hungry like he was. I'm really looking forward to testing him again to see where he lands.
    I did look at the Prozinc stickys. I have been looking at all the resources on the home page as well. I'll head over now to look at those stickys again.. Thank you so much!! You have NO idea how much ya'll have put me at ease! <3

31. Dusty & Roe

Dusty & Roe Member

Hi Jami how is Tucker doing and you too of course

32. LoveforTucker

LoveforTucker Member

https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/the-tucker-and-jami-show.231997/
    Hi there! Thank you. He's doing pretty good! I received my Relion and BGs are lower than the initial vet check. From 497 to this morning 325.
    Hi! He's doing fine. I'm stressed out! lol I have another thread I created to log the journey. I guess I could have just kept this one, but, I moved it over the the insulin forums.

33. jt and trouble (GA)

Well give us an update (here) now and then. :);)

34. LoveforTucker

LoveforTucker Member

I will! :bighug:

35. LoveforTucker

LoveforTucker Member

I didn't test Tucker tonight. Today was a bad day for me.. a patient (89 yrs and a nun) of mine arrived for a routine cat scan of her tummy.. she said she felt like she was going to pass out, she went unresponsive , no pulse, I did CPR until ems arrived. She ended up surviving, anyways...Too much to deal with!

36. jt and trouble (GA)

Oh WOW yeahhhh dont blame ya. GOOD JOB! You're a hero. I think Tucker will forgive you...:bighug:

37. LoveforTucker

LoveforTucker Member

Thank you! So happy its Friday!! AMPS 345.

38. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Jami I just looked at Tucker’s SS. Great you are testing before the shots. It’s important to get tests in during the cycles to see how low the insulin is taking Tucker as that will help determine the dose. Cats can start off high, drop low and be high again by the time of the next shot and unless you are testing you won’t know this. Also try and get a test in during the pm cycle as many cats drop lower at night. A before bed test is good and if the BG is much lower than the Preshot I would set the alarm and test again to see Tucker is safe.

Are you feeding during the am and pm cycle as well as the Preshot meal?

39. LoveforTucker

LoveforTucker Member

Hi there! Thanks for checking in on me! Its still such a fight tying to test him. Sometimes I'm successful, sometimes I'm not. If I try to hold/restrain him he fights me. I dont want him to start to fear me when I approach for testing. I know this is not the best way, but, honestly the only was I can actually get a sample of blood is when hes distracted with food. This morning I tried to test, while he was eating of course, smh. I finally was able to get a sample, but then I got a error on the meter, not enough blood. At this point he was irritated with me and I was frustrated. Do you have any advice? I'm off today thru mon so I'll work on him to see what I can do differently. I'm gone from the house 730a to 530p tues - fri. I cant test at all during the day OR give another meal. Today I'll try to do a mid cycle test.

40. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Have you thought about getting an autofeeder do that he can be fed while you are at work. A lot of us use them and find them invaluable. It’s important he gets more food during the cycles, not just before the shots.

To test, try getting every ready and putting on the floor, then kneeling and sitting back on your heels. Put Tucker between your knees facing away from you at that his tail is closest to you. He can’t back away then and his sides are against your knees. If you put one hand on his chest he can’t move and he shouldn’t feel restrained. Talk quietly to him or him. If you have everything ready beforehand you just need to push the strip into the meter, put some low carb food ( not too much) in front of him and prick the ear. I used to test Sheba that way. If you don’t have time to get the strip into the blood put the blood on your thumb nail then onto the test strip. Always reward him even if it doesn’t work.. good luck.

41. LoveforTucker

LoveforTucker Member

I'm just going to have to figure out a new schedule. In the Mornings and evenings when I get home, both of the cats are so excited and active. During the day today when Tucker starts resting I'm sure I'll be able to test easier.

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
  42. LoveforTucker

LoveforTucker Member

Yes! I was thinking about an autofeeder. What kind do you recommend? I just thought if it was sitting out all day wet food would go bad? I did try the in between my knees (did this when I first tested him) he freaked out, of course it was when I just got home from work so he was excited. The drop of blood on the thumb nail is PERFECT!

43. LoveforTucker

LoveforTucker Member

I didn't get a Lancet "gun thingy". I've been just hand pricking. That might be a game changer!

44. LoveforTucker

LoveforTucker Member

It worked! +2 404 bg

45. jt and trouble (GA)

:D:D:D
    ECID! What works for one is a disaster to another...We ALL find our way.
    Congrats!:bighug:
    j.

46. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Well done!!!
    I liked to use the lancet device to prick, others don’t.
    With the autofeeders, if you live in the US there is one called the petsafe I think it’s called. I think it has a compartment underneath to put an ice pack. I’ll tag @Wendy&Neko as she knows the one to get.

47. LoveforTucker

LoveforTucker Member

Thank you! And the thumb nail trick was perfect!

48. jt and trouble (GA)

:D I just love hearing that!

49. LoveforTucker

LoveforTucker Member

Thank you!!!

50. LoveforTucker

LoveforTucker Member

169 +5, fed 1 can ff food

51. jt and trouble (GA)

HA! I look forward to seeing that spread sheet FILLED with greens and blues! :D

52. LoveforTucker

LoveforTucker Member

Me too!! So exciting! Thank you for being there!

53. LoveforTucker

LoveforTucker Member

Doesn't the reoccurring testing start to hurt their little ears?

54. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

My 14+ lbs cat was just fine on around 220 calories per day. 300 lbs might make your cat more fluffy than need to be! The amount of food a cat needs does depend on many things, metabolism and exercise being a couple. Your best friend is a baby or pet scale. If you vet lets you know his ideal weight, you can weigh regularly and see if you are getting to your target. If you haven't been to the catinfo.org website yet, it's a good read by a vet feline nutritionist. There is also a page on how much to feed.
    Many of us here use the Petsafe 5. There is a spot under the tray where you can fit a very small freezer pack. I think there is one on Amazon you can buy that fits it. I'm in Canada, so couldn't find it here. I just used a very small soft gel pack folded in the right shape. As for keeping wet food fresh for hours, add some water - it helps keep it from going crusty and extra water is OK for diabetics anyway. Or you can add an ice cube on top of the food to keep things cold when it's hot, and it'll melt and add water.

Lots of tips on home testing here. Hometesting Links and Tips - includes numerous links, instructions, pictures, & videos. There are hardly any nerves on the ears.

55. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Absolutely Wendy! Thanks I always forget where that formula is. 2 cans a day just seems too little to me. I made that mistake with Minnie in the beginning and she went from 17 down to 12 pounds :nailbiting:

56. LoveforTucker

LoveforTucker Member

Thank you! I realized I was under feeding. I bought an auto feeder today, should get it tomorrow!
    I tried testing him a few minutes ago. When I pricked him he growled and tried to bite me! I wasn't holding him down or anything.

57. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I did testing with Neko on my lap to start. The session started with a lot of cuddling first. Once she settled down, got a couple treats, she was more relaxed, and more importantly, so was I.

58. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

I like singing to calm me and Minnie down. Now when she hears her testing song, she settles down and waits for it so she can get her food afterwards. Sometimes I give her her actual food and sometimes treats, regardless she knows she’s going to eat!

59. LoveforTucker

LoveforTucker Member

Thank you ladies! I'm really trying! I'm trying to relax and soft talk to him.. I sing too Ale..maybe that's why hes irritated lol.. kidding! Or maybe not.. hahaa!this is new chapter for us. Thank you all for being so nice to me! I truly appreciate it!

60. LoveforTucker

LoveforTucker Member

I could NOT get any blood this morning! I stuck him probably 6 times! I rubbed his ears prior to sticking as well. I wasn't able to test.. I went ahead and gave the shot. What else should I have done??

61. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Have you tried warming the ear with a rice sock. Put some rice in the toe of a sock and warm it in the microwave. Check is not too hot. Hold on the ear for a minute before testing.

62. LoveforTucker

LoveforTucker Member

Sigh... yes. I remember reading that before. I'll try it. Thank you!

63. LoveforTucker

LoveforTucker Member

+2 BG 217. LOL After I tested him I said "Good job Tucker!! Good boy",, gave kisses. He reached up and smacked me with his paw.. :blackeye: I'll do another test at +5, then PMPS

JanetNJ and jt and trouble (GA) like this.
  64. jt and trouble (GA)

lol Tucker

65. LoveforTucker

LoveforTucker Member

66. LoveforTucker

LoveforTucker Member

Pmps 317. Appt to see vet tomorrow at noon.

67. LoveforTucker

LoveforTucker Member

AMPS 253 fed 1 can FF

68. Shelley & Jess

Shelley & Jess Member

What time do you plan to test today? If possible try and grab one shortly before you head to the vet - vet stress can raise the BG. I've seen some kitty's just skyrocket! It's good to know if this is the case with Tucker - it'll give you a little peace of mind if his number shoots up and you know the possible reason. Oh, and check what kind of meter you vet uses, most likely a pet meter, which generally read higher than human meters and inflate the numbers too.

69. LoveforTucker

LoveforTucker Member

Great idea!! Yes, I'm going to test at 11am. I was assuming he was going to read high at the office. I'm planning on bringing in the numbers on my spread sheet as well to show them the numbers he reads at home.

70. LoveforTucker

LoveforTucker Member

71. Shelley & Jess

Shelley & Jess Member

I was just looking at that. Answering on your other thread in the Prozinc ISG so Deb & Wink can keep an eye on the dosing.

@Deb & Wink

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
    Reason for edit: (re)tagged Deb
  72. LoveforTucker

LoveforTucker Member

Thank you!

73. Lalkabee

Lalkabee Member

+5 is also the low peak for Bee..Seems to be the same for Tucker :)

74. Shelley & Jess

Shelley & Jess Member

I disagree, a. bit too soon and not enough data to determine that for sure yet.

75. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I think I would restart the dose at 1 unit. Your vet started you too high. 1 is the recommended starting dose. GREAT JOB LEARNING TO TEST SO QUICKLY!!1

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.