New Member- Out of Remission

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Steph01, Dec 26, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steph01

Steph01 New Member

Good evening, I've followed the FB group for awhile now but recommended to this group. I have a 16 year old diabetic cat named Maddox. He'd been in remission for about 6 months, but now seems diabetes is back and this time is a lot different then the first. Over this month his numbers are still really high even with increasing from 1 unit of Lantus 2x day up to 4 units. Took back to the vet today and an hour after his a.m. dose he was still 460. He's acting really off - lethargic, issues with back legs etc. The vet did a full blood panel today/urinalysis and will have results Monday, but I feel helpless sitting here while he feels so horrible. We started tested at home 2 hours before shot tonight he was 416. Any advice or feedback would be appreciated. He was doing so so well and really want to get him back to feeling good!

2. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Steph,

I'm sorry to hear that Maddox has fallen out of remission. It's good that you've got blood work in progress. Did the vet also check his teeth and gums?

For the back legs, if it's due to diabetic neuropathy then, alongside working to improve BG regulation, oral supplementation with B12 methylcobalamin can help. Potassium imbalance is another possible cause of leg weakness (hopefully this will be included in the blood work).

With the higher numbers and the lethargy, as a general safety precaution I recommend starting to test daily to make sure Maddox is clear of ketones. If you don't already have urine ketone test strips you can pick them up at any pharmacy or Walmart.

Tips for collecting urine samples

Mogs

3. Steph01

Steph01 New Member

Thank you so much! I'm not sure if the vet checked his teeth or not, but I'll definitely bring that up on Monday. Thanks for sending ketones info...that seems like it'd be difficult to do so glad you included some tips!

4. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Steph! Good to see you over here from the FB group!

Here's some information for you on How you can help us to help you. If you need any help getting things set up, feel free to send me a private message either here or on FB.

Steph01 and Diane Tyler's Mom like this.
  5. Critter Mom

You can also get blood beta ketone meters. You test with them the same way as you do for BG. The strips are pricey but you don't test as often for ketones as you do for BG, and the reassurance of being able to check ketone levels 'on demand' is a welcome bonus: no hanging round the litter box trying to grab a pee sample! :)

Some members have reported good success with the ladle technique! I used to use the 'cover litter in saran wrap' method, but I eventually went for the meter. Was very pleased with the investment.

Fingers and paws crossed that the vets will find and treat whichever issue may have tipped Maddox out of remission.

Mogs

Steph01 likes this.
  6. Steph01

Steph01 New Member

The test strips definitely seem like the way to go!! I'll have to check those out. Thank you again for the support and advice here!

Critter Mom likes this.
  7. Critter Mom

8. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I may have missed it but what insulin are you using? Is it the same vial that you were using prior to Maddox going into remission? If so, it's possible that it's no longer any good, especially if it's past it's expiration date.

9. Steph01

Steph01 New Member

Thanks,
    Using Lantus. It's from October we have another cat at home that's also diabetic.

10. Steph01

Steph01 New Member

I just ordered some of the freestyle strips. Hes still acting off today. Very lethargic and just not himself. Eating/drinking haven't seen him use litter box yet. I know vet tested for UTI. Anything I should be watching to take to emergency vet today? I'll get blood panel/urinalysis back tomm...

11. Critter Mom

Keep an eye out for any signs of nausea or appetite slowing down.

If there's any way you can test today for ketones that would be a very advisable safety precaution.

How high is his BG? If it's high is one possible factor that could potentially contributing to the lethargy (though there's no guarantee of that being behind it). Constipation is another thing to maybe watch for (can also make a cat feel icky and lethargic).

As to whether or not he needs to be seen by an emergency vet, you know Maddox best and are therefore the best judge. I hope he feels better soon.

Mogs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.