New member - So glad I found you

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by MouseMom, Jan 17, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MouseMom

MouseMom New Member

My 9 year old male rescue cat was just diagnosed with diabetes and the vet basically had his vet tech show me how to inject insuliun and that was it! I am sooooo glad I found this board. It has given me a huge amount of information and I am feeling a little less panicky now. Thanks. :)

2. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

Are you testing before you inject? That should have come first.

3. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Welcome Mouse's Mom
    You couldn't have found a better forum to join. With the help of the experienced members here and their advice Tyler wouldn't be in remission since 1-24-21
    I think you should set up your signature in case you need help with dosing
    if you are having trouble setting it up this might make it easier for you
    signature
    click on your name up top above where it says sesrch and then tap on the word signature and add this information
    • Add info we need to help you:
      • Caregiver & kitty's name
      • DX: Date
      • Name of Insulin (do not include dose or frequency)
      • Name of your meter
      • Diet: "LC wet" or "dry food" or "combo"
      • Dosing: TR or SLGS or Custom (if applicable)
      • DKA or other recent health issue (if applicable)
      • Acro, IAA, or Cushings (if applicable)
      • Spreadsheet link. Please put the signature link on the bottom line of your signature information, on its own, so it is easy to find.
      • Please do not put any information about your location in the signature for security reasons. If you wish to add your country location, please add it to your profile.
    Be sure to click the 'Save Changes' button at the bottom.

Do you see mine?
    I suggest you start to home test to be sure Mouse's BG number is safe to give insulin
    If you would like any other information about how to test, which meter to buy and any other information just ask :cat:

4. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Welcome to FDMB!!

We often refer to this place as the best place you never wanted to be. Can you tell us a bit more about your kitty? Are there any other health issues? What insulin did your vet prescribe? Did your vet (or the tech) encourage you to home test? What are you feeding your cat?

If it's any consolation, when my cat was diagnosed, they didn't even show me how to give an injection. (I speak fluent medicalese and I think they thought I was an MD.) I learned by watching videos on YouTube. You're already a step ahead of where I was.

5. Hendrick Cuddleclaw

Hendrick Cuddleclaw Well-Known Member

hi and welcome! Your thread title is, I think, the exact same as my first thread I ever made here because just like you, I was SO GLAD to find this place. They helped my boy so much, and he is now in remission.

6. Melinda and Kitkat

Melinda and Kitkat Member

Hiya Mousemom (too cute). And welcome!
    I think my vet and your vet went to the same school. I also got the vet tech, showed me how to inject the insulin (from a preloaded syringe) and was sent on my merry way a script and Diabetic Cat. ;) There is a wealth of info here, excellent links, sticky notes, it's alot! That is a very, very good thing! I am relatively new as well, and still scroll through different posts, different forums, and learn something every time. :bookworm::cat::bookworm::cat::bookworm: :bighug:

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  7. MouseMom

MouseMom New Member

Thanks so much! I'm not feeling all alone in the world anymore. :) I'm so glad I spent the morning reading all the information on this board. My vet's office just called telling the the vet ordered diabetic dry food (I said cancel that one!) Then I asked if I should be testing glucose and the vet tech said no. Not necessary at the begining. Maybe in a few weeks. Sooooo glad I read up on all of this. I will be downloading that spreadsheet and filling it out. No testing...hrumph!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2023
    Reason for edit: New information to add
  8. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

9. chuckstables

chuckstables Member

Great! You seem to have done a bunch of reading on here based on what you know. What type of insulin is he on by the way?

10. Melinda and Kitkat

Melinda and Kitkat Member

Off on a running start! Good stuff! Youre in the right place:D:p:bighug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.