New Member-Uncertain

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by EM96, Feb 19, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EM96

EM96 New Member

Hi,

Our cat was recently diagnosed with diabetes and our vet has kinda thrown us into the deep end, he gave us our first Optisulin Solostar pen, told us to inject at two clicks (after doing one into the air), then gave us a script for more, but I don't actually know where to buy more, so I was wondering where do those in Australia buy their solostar pens? and where they buy their replacement pen tips.

His also gave us a alphatrak glucose monitor and told us to do a check every 2 hours, with some brief instructions on how to do the checks, however that completely failed yesterday Lady (our cat) was terrified and I couldn't keep her still enough to do the checks so I'm meant to be trying again over the weekend, I'm hoping it will go better the second time. Any tips on checking blood glucose would be appreciated.

2. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

@Bron and Sheba (GA) is in Australia too, so hopefully she can help you.

Was her ear warm when you tried poking her?

here a link on how to test her BG.

3. EM96

EM96 New Member

No it wasnt, I'll try warming her ear for tomorrow tries. Thank you

4. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

If you're giving her insulin, I'd definitely try today. Insulin is a powerful drug, and you won't know if it's safe to give insulin if you don't test before.
    Testing in between shots shows you how she's doing, and if you need to increase or decrease.

It would be very helpful if you could set up a signature and a spreadsheet, so we can help you.

I know this is overwhelming and it does take a lot of getting used to, but when you get there, it will get easier :bighug:

5. EM96

EM96 New Member

Hi, thank you. I've just set up a signature and spreadsheet and added what glucose readings I got yesterday (hopefully I've done this all correctly).

Critter Mom likes this.
  6. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

Absolutely wonderful! It works like a charm!
    When you're using the AT2 your take action number is 68, higher than the rest of us using a human meter.
    Take action number means you need to ask for help here in Feline Health. So whenever you see a 68 or below, in the US spreadsheet you need help. When you feel up for it, go to the Lantus and Levemir forum and read the stickys, they're in the top. It will give you a ton of information about how the insulin is working, how a typical cycle is looking and so on.

You did great! :bighug::)

7. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Ellie and Lady and welcome to the forum.
    Sorry I didn’t see the tag earlier.
    Well done setting up the SS and the signature. Both very helpful.

It doesn’t sound as if your vet was very helpful. Glargine insulin which is what is in the solostar pens can be bought as cartridges from the chemist in 5 x pen (cartridges) lots. They cost me around $100 for the lot. It’s a lot more expensive from the vet. Ask the vet to write you a script and you can buy them from the chemist.
    So if the vet told you to go to 2 clicks and doing one in the air.....it sounds as if you are giving 1 unit twice a day. Does that sound right?

I would go out and buy some insulin syringes as the solo star pens only deliver the dose in1 unit increments. We recommend increasing the dose in 1/4 unit ( 0.25 u) increments as it is much safer and you won’t go past the best dose.

You can either buy some syringes from a chemist which are 1 unit syringes or you can order some 1/2 unit syringes from the UK. It is easier to use the 1/2 unit syringes, although I used to use the 1 unit syringes most of the time. Either way it is far better than trying to use a solo star pen. For a start, you waste a unit every time you give a dose and you can’t increase in smaller units.
    If you want to go ahead and buy the 1 unit syringes, these are the ones to buy....you can still eyeball the smaller doses on it.
    The main ones in Australia are the BD U100 3/10ml 30 or 31 gauge 6 or 8 mm. They cost about $30 for a box of 100 from the chemist.

If you want to buy the 1/2 unit syringes of the same size you will find the link in the link below.
    I am going to send you a link for Aussie caregivers. It should give you lots of useful information. In this link are links to setting up a hypo box, which is very important, suitable foods., and lots more.
    Click on this link https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB...for-aussie-feline-diabetic-caregivers.217781/

Here is a link to home testing. You will find the alphatrak meter expensive to run and might like to swap to a human meter which most of us use here.
    Click on this linkhttps://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/hometesting-links-and-tips.287/

Its a steep learning curve in the beginning, and can be overwhelming. Ask lots of questions, we are happy to help.
    Bron

Critter Mom and SashaV like this.
  8. EM96

EM96 New Member

Sorry think I did a bad job of explaining that, he said do one into the air then put the pen to 2 and inject that into her.

Thanks heaps for the info!

9. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

2 units is more than the usual starting dose. Normal starting dose is around 1 unit.
    If there was no talk of any ketones at diagnosis, I would reduce the dose to 1 unit twice a day and see how she goes. Lantus is a depot insulin and the full effect of the dose is not felt until the depot fills which can take up to 5 to 7 days initially.

Do not get rid of the dry food at the moment, even though it is not recommended for diabetic cats, because it could be keeping Lady safe.
    A low carb wet diet is recommended for diabetic cats. Prescription diets are usually higher carb than is suitable for diabetics....even though the vets recommend them.

Are you feeding before the shot and giving 2 or 3 snacks during the first half of the cycles as well.?
    Always test before every shot to see it is safe to give the dose.
    For example...test the BG, feed Lady, give the dose of insulin.(that is AMPS and PMPS.) then give snacks at +2, +4 and +6 ( 2 hours, 4 hours and 6 hours after the shot)
    If you could do this both cycles Lady will have her food spread over the time when the insulin is working the hardest.
    If you don’t have an automatic feeder, they are a great investment.

EM96 likes this.
  10. EM96

EM96 New Member

There was no talk of ketones, I'll try reducing to 1 unit
    I'm feeding her before each shot, but haven't been giving any snacks during the cycle I'll start doing that now, and ill try to test her BG before each shot.
    Thank you!

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
  11. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Ellie,

Here's a good behavioural training video. It's focus is on injections but the techniques can be adapted for home testing too:

Mogs

EM96 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.