? New Member - up to 5U, how to reduce?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by pktneli, Sep 3, 2020.

1. pktneli

pktneli New Member

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum and was directed here to ask about decreasing my cat Eli from his 5U Lantus dose. As you can see from his spreadsheet, the lowest reading he has had so far was a few weeks ago when he was on 3.5U. His vet has only had me do twice weekly readings, so I only have partial curves from the past couple days (as I noted in my post on the Welcome forum, Eli is not a fan of testing, but we'll work on it).

Please let me know if there is any other info you need!

Panic likes this.
  2. JaxBenji

JaxBenji Well-Known Member

Hi! Welcome! You are in the right place :) Here's a link to your other thread just for continuity.

There are so many experienced and helpful cat owners here - I'll let them advise to your dosing question. Great job on your signature. You may also want to read over dosing protocols here and the other yellow stickies at the top of this message board as you have time. It's A LOT. Ask questions :) We all want to help each other!

Butters & Lyla likes this.
  3. JaxBenji

JaxBenji Well-Known Member

Oh I forgot to mention - if you go to "Thread Tools", click Edit Title and there's a drop down - pick the "?" since you have a question and it will help draw eyes. Once your question is answered, you edit the title and remove the "?".

pktneli likes this.
  4. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Welcome. It’s essential that you test before each shot to see if it’s safe to shoot. Then you feed to make sure he will eat and if so then inject. Mid cycle will not necessarily be his lowest point. A +2-+3 will will see if he’s likely to head down. Vary the testing each day to see. You are increasing really fast. We start with .25 increases. Please start by reading the yellow stickies at the top of this forum. We use two methods here. With TR which is the more aggressive of the two the initial does is held a minimum of 3 days. You dint have any night tests and so don’t even know half of what he’s doing. Many cats drop lower at night. Max and I had lots of pj parties. Giving a treat after each test really helps. I used freeze dried turkey or chicken, 100% protein.

5. pktneli

pktneli New Member

Is it safe to basically take him back to 3U (or even 2U?) starting this evening and essentially "start over"? Or do I need to decrease him slower than that? Clearly 5U is not working for him, and I suspect we blew past his ideal dose.

6. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Your Eli is a handsome dude! Luci could be his sister from another mother, only not as fuzzy. :rolleyes:

I wouldn't change the dose right now - but as Elise said above, it's critical to get a pre-shot number - yes, both times. We never ever give insulin without getting a pre-shot - it's not safe. Eli is likely to surprise you one of these days with a nice low number and you would not want to shoot that without posting first for help...and advice...don't feed him if that ever happens; wait and test again in 20 or so minutes to see how his numbers are doing.

Yes, it's a lot to remember on your first few days, but it is so important.

Welcome to the LB&L Forum! The best place you never wanted to be!:bighug::bighug:

Kyle & Simon (GA) likes this.
  7. pktneli

pktneli New Member

I'm curious why you don't suggest changing the dose now - how long should he stay at 5U? And how do people not go broke testing so many times per day? I work from home, so that part is not an issue, but the test strips are so expensive! And like I said, Eli is not a fan.

Hypothetically, if he stays at 5U for a bit longer and nothing changes, and then I want to reduce it, how do I do that? I've read all the stuff about "earning" a reduction, but this would be different. I was following the advice of my vet with the increases and testing schedule, but I wish I could just hit a reset button and start him back at the beginning.

8. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

We use human meters, those Alphatrak strips are way too expensive! :p Are you located in the US? If so most of us use the ReliOn Prime meter from Walmart. Costs about $9 for the meter and the strips are $18 for 100 ($0.17 each).

I am guessing they would like to see some more test data before advising to decrease? :confused:
    How were increases decided from your vet?

9. thebigfuzz

thebigfuzz Well-Known Member

Eli is so handsome!

Just popping by to say welcome! I'm not sure about the dose reduction - especially with limited data to know where the doses are taking him. I'm sure others may have more advisement for you.

Welcome :)

10. pktneli

pktneli New Member

Until this week, I've been mostly testing Saturdays and Wednesdays (at +6), and then would email her the results on Thursday and she'd advise whether to increase. I know now, that there's no way that was giving us a clear picture of what was really going on. What I do know is that he's been showing signs of neuropathy for about a week, and he has been way quieter and withdrawn for the past couple weeks. I just know we're not at right dose.

11. Sue and Luci

We usually use meters/strips made for humans. It's not practical to use the AT2 to test unless you have unlimited funds...you're right those strips are expensive...and high numbers are still high numbers, maybe not quite as high - on a human meter. You'll be able to get a good feel for where he's at using an inexpensive human meter and matching strips.

I'm not sure if you're in the US or Canada but there are less expensive options for both to get meters/strips and we use them a lot. I signed up for the OneDrop subscription system because I didn't like chasing strips all the time...and they're expensive enough - I was spending over $50 a month on strips. I believe the plan is more expensive now, but when I signed up it was $49.95 per month for unlimited strips.

First let's see if more testing will show that he really is getting better numbers than those that are on his SS currently. Once you see him in blues and greens, then that's the time to read more closely on how those reductions are earned.

I know it's a lot, but you'll want to choose a dosing method - it'll help you determine when to increase/decrease based on the length of time he's been on a particular dose. Add that info to your SS and your signature - SLGS is the slower method, TR is faster (for increases/decreases)...

I hear ya, unfortunately most vets know little about feline diabetes...yes, that's hard to believe...and when someone first told me that I was not a believer! How could a professional animal care doctor NOT know about this disease? Well, it's true...they have very little information about it in their schooling and they simply do not have time to keep up with all the new literature or insulins being used now by felines...and this group has more collective knowledge and wisdom and any vet I've ever met - the track record of the FDMB is amazing - hundreds of cats have been helped into remission - yes, remission...not just doing better - although that sometimes is what it is...and I for one have a healthy happy cat who's been on insulin for over two years...just like a human being - she gets her meds every day and she's happy and healthy...

So hang in there! There is no fast track to undo what's already been done. The dose you're act currently does not appear to be having any impact on Eli's numbers - but again with so few tests, it's really hard to tell. That's why I wouldn't change anything except for testing more - especially pre-shot tests.

No cat is a fan of testing initially. Luci was a real hellcat in the beginning and now she comes when I whistle...for her it's all about the treats and food! She actually purrs during the whole testing process now and it only takes a moment or two...so you too can get Eli used to the whole process...just whisper in his ear that his life depends on this...

Kyle & Simon (GA) and Panic like this.
  12. pktneli

pktneli New Member

I get that, but if this dose is not helping him, what then? Like, if I follow whatever method, and his testing shows him still in the high 300s/400s (even 500s)...the recommendation of the protocol will be to up the dose. I don't think that makes sense, considering he is at 5U and getting worse, and was doing better around 3-3.5U.

13. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

SLGS protocol is basically holding the dose for a week before changing, and reduction if numbers drop below 90. (I will have to check to see what number that is for Alphatrak, probably 100)
    TR protocol is holding the dose three days before changing, and reductions are earned if numbers drop below 50 (68 on Alphatrak). You also need to test more when using TR.
    You pick whichever one works for your schedule, both are good protocols to use, TR is more aggressive and keeps kitties in lower numbers longer.

What we might be seeing, from the very spare tests we have, is bouncing ...

Here is a Bouncing 101 so you understand what it is:

Bouncing is a phenomenon that occurs when the body experiences (or at least thinks it does) hypoglycemia. Luckily the body uses bouncing as a defense mechanism against this where it attempts to compensate the low blood sugar by dumping excess glucose provided by the liver in an attempt to raise blood sugar back to “normal” numbers. Unfortunately, “normal” is a relative term according to the body. For a diabetic whose body has been untreated for so long that it considered very high numbers to be the new normal, lower numbers can often make the body overreact in attempt to save itself, even if it’s not in danger.

A cat who has been suffering from diabetes for some time may at the point of diagnosis have a new “normal” of 400. When insulin is introduced and brings it down, even to 200 (still diabetic levels), the body thinks it is in danger, dumps excess glucose, and thus the blood sugar skyrockets up to the 400-600s. After enough time has passed, the body will eventually realize that 200 isn’t such a bad number, and bouncing will happen less often. Note some cats are extremely bounce-prone and a switch to Lantus/Levemir is needed.

There are three main causes of bouncing: when blood sugar drops too low (hypoglycemia), drops lower than the body is used too, or by dropping too much too quickly. Typically if a cat drops more than 50% of their blood sugar a bounce is likely to happen, or if they drop 100 points within an hour.

While bouncing can be considered as a safety net in the instances of hypoglycemia, it can look very confusing on paper.
    Black numbers (like today we saw from Eli) are usually indicative of bouncing. What we can't see right now is that MAYBE Eli dropped too low - below 100, and that set his body on defensive mode, and when you tested later you saw the effects of the bounce. So if you can keep testing and "catch" those numbers that cause a bounce, that's grounds for a reduction. If he drops exceptionally low - like under 50 or so - the members here may decide Eli has earned a bigger reduction. Reductions are usually done in 0.25 increments.

The nice thing about the Lantus forum here is that every day you can post Eli's numbers and the members can watch and let you know when they think it's time to reduce. I think if you started getting a few extra tests in - the pre-shots as previously mentioned - and then a couple tests each cycle - maybe a +2 and +4 one day, or a +3 and +5 the next day - we can catch how low Eli is going.

thebigfuzz likes this.
  14. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

And also - while it very well may be that 3u or lower is what Eli needs, we will have to see - a cat's insulin needs change often (weekly, daily sometimes) and what worked back then might not work now.

Sue and Luci likes this.
  15. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Since you mentioned neuropathy (while I don't have personal experience with it), there are supplements you can buy to help improve it. It's not an overnight cure but it does help. The regular brand is Zobaline but most people use this alternative.

This is a post copied from Diane:

Hi Here is the link https://www.vitacost.com/vitacost-vitamin-b-12-methylcobalamin-5000-mcg-100-capsules-6

Alot of members use this , I use it myself you can buy it on line from Vitacost
    Vitamin B-12 Methylcobalamin -- 5000 mcg - 100 Capsules
    It's 17.99 just be sure this is the one you buy
    The only difference is the Zobaline has 200 mcgs of folic acid
    So I buy the folic acid at the supermarket and crush it up and add it to the B-12
    If you can't find the 200 mcg get the 400 mcg and cut it in half
    The Vitacost brand is a capsule so just open it and pour the powder on the wet food
    Has no taste, no need to crush it up
    The Zobaline is 33.99 for 60 pills, too expensive
    I saw a big improvement I'd say 3 months, could be sooner. One capsule a day.
    Once you get your kitty better regulated the B-12 methyl will help

Vitamin B-12 Methylcobalamin -- 5000 mcg - 100 Capsules

• SKU #: 835003001804
    • Shipping Weight: 0.23 lb
    • Servings: 100
    [​IMG]

And a coupon from @Diane Tyler's Mom , not sure if those are one-time codes are not.

Sue and Luci and thebigfuzz like this.
  16. tiffmaxee

If he truly needs more insulin then you continue to give him what he needs. Don’t go there yet. We don’t have enough data. There are high dose conditions. Some cats, though rare, get 19 units. At higher levels Lantus can sting and if you get much higher you might want to switch to levimar. But again, let’s see if more testing sorts things out. Start reading the methods.

17. pktneli

pktneli New Member

He has been on 5U over 3 days. Is there some sort of guide to starting one of these protocols late? Because if I were to use the TR, that would mean I up his dose and it seems unwise to take him higher. I guess I'm just a little confused because people are saying his dose is high and that we raised it too fast, but also that it shouldn't be lowered.

Re: bouncing, I'm with him all day (he sits in my office with me) and I haven't noticed any signs of hypoglycemia. Obviously I could be missing something though.

Thank you for this!

18. tiffmaxee

You would up it IF you had the data. You don’t. At this point I would get more tests to see what this dose is doing for him. His low point could be earlier or later than when you test. You have no idea what’s happening at night.

19. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

I would think, if you want to do TR, pretend like the next shot-time is the first day. Get the required minimum tests in (if I remember right it's at least two mid-cycle tests + pre-shots?) every cycle for the next three days. :)

Unfortunately you can't always tell if a cat is in hypo numbers. Some cats are symptomatic - and that is a lot more dangerous than just being in low numbers - but most of the time the cats don't show symptoms. That's why you test to find out! We just had a kitty in another forum, the caregiver switched her cat over to LC wet and the cat dropped down to 26!! No symptoms at all. Could have killed him and you'd never know. :eek:

THH & Snowcrash (GA) likes this.
  20. pktneli

pktneli New Member

Oh I read this wrong! So, he's not actually going hypoglycemic, his body just thinks it is? Which is why I wouldn't see any signs? That makes more sense.

Kyle & Simon (GA) likes this.
  21. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Either or actually. Bouncing can be caused by hypoglycemic numbers OR it dropping too fast or too much at one time - or the body dropping lower than it's used to, even if it's not a low number at all.

Isn't diabetes fun? :p

22. tiffmaxee

No. When they get into hypo numbers there is the potential for them falling into a symptomatic hypo which could be deadly. Max was in the 30)s more than once and I never would have known had I not tested him. At that point they need sugar to raise them to safe numbers. If they fall into numbers lower than their body is used to, the body releases insulin and the goes high. That’s bouncing.

23. thebigfuzz

Cosmo has gone from the 500's to 47 in one 24 hr period and back up again in time for his next pre shot. If I hadn't tested him, I wouldn't have known. He showed no symptoms, that I could tell. Cosmo has neuropathy + arthritis and so it can be hard to tell if he is wobbly or if he is just hobbly when he goes lower.

At first, I would think there is no way he would go from 400 to 47, but some kitties like to do that :eek: it's possible that might (?) be the case for Eli, but only testing will help tell you that. :) and then... You'll be able to best find the right dose for him.

Many kitties go up and down doses, using the protocol and data to guide them.

Critter Mom likes this.
  24. pktneli

pktneli New Member

I'm doing whatever I can for Eli, but I also know my own limitations. I have to get up early for work, so I'm not going to be able to do nightly tests. I'll do as many tests during the day as I can, and I'll see what I can do on weekends. Honestly, this board has been a little scary with TEST TEST TEST. I want to do what I can to get Eli feeling better, and that's why I posted here, but now I'm worried about being judged if I don't do all the tests.

I really appreciate everyone who has offered advice, but I'm more stressed than ever! :(

25. thebigfuzz

:bighug: I'm so sorry! Not wanting you to feel stress, just trying to help :bighug:

Critter Mom, tiffmaxee and Panic like this.
  26. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Hang in there! Baby steps! You've got this. :bighug:

Why don't you consider SLGS to start? It's less strict about how many tests you need to get in, and if you feel you can handle more, you can always change to TR later. I think the only "rules" for SLGS are to get pre-shots and do a curve once a week or just do spot-checks every day rather than just one curve.

Testing is data, and data is how we decide dose. I think members here would be uncomfortable giving advice without knowing what Eli's numbers are throughout the day, because they wouldn't want to make it worse and negatively affect his health.

Sue and Luci likes this.
  27. Sue and Luci

May I ask who are the people to whom you refer?

28. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

I mentioned to her in Health that 5u is high for a new diabetic.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
    Sue and Luci likes this.
  29. tiffmaxee

I wrote that he was taken up in dose too quickly and that without testing at key times it’s impossible to figure out what’s going on. Even a +2 or before bed test would help.

Critter Mom likes this.
  30. Sue and Luci

Ah, I see...sometimes people on the FaceBook sister site also say that...not that I disagree...but those are some high numbers - for what there are of them. It'll be easier to see what's going on when there are more tests...

The puzzle will start to fill in with more tests...and we'll know more as to whether or not it's too high, just right or not enough. The verdict is out for now :)

pktneli and tiffmaxee like this.
  31. tiffmaxee

What time do you inject?

32. Sue and Luci

pktneli likes this.
  33. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

So can I ask, as a less experienced Lantus-user, what the harm is in reducing if we already know the dose was increased inappropriately multiple times? Assuming she'd be checking for ketones wouldn't it be better to drop 2-3 units?

Sue and Luci likes this.
  34. Sue and Luci

That last reply posted oddly...??

35. pktneli

pktneli New Member

That definitely seems more manageable. So should I basically pretend today is the first day and go from there?

I just tried to do his ear for his pre-shot (It did...not go well. So I burrito-d him and did his paw instead. We'll work on the ears). He's at 524.

I was giving him his shot around 6:30am/pm. But over the past week or so I've been gradually pushing him back and now we're at 7:10am/pm.

36. pktneli

pktneli New Member

Yes, this was my main reason for coming here to ask for advice! :)

Panic and Sue and Luci like this.
  37. Sue and Luci

Others may have different opinions about this, but when I look at the SS, and see mid-cycle numbers that are red, black and pink, my first reaction is that 1)Lantus should have brought those numbers down - mid-cycle is usually the lowest number of the day - and 2)We don't have any pre-shot numbers to see what they were - or any other tests at night.

If we could just see preshots AND more importantly some night time tests, then we might all suggest to reduce - but I see no reason YET to do that...

Currently poor Eli is on the moon...so I'm thinking leave well enough alone and get more tests...when we see more results we may feel differently...

Kyle & Simon (GA) and tiffmaxee like this.
  38. tiffmaxee

So can you get a before bed test? Many of us find that a +2 or in my case +3 would give an indication Of whether there’s a potential for them to go a lot lower. If t that test is lower than preshot it could be an active cycle. Then and only then would it help to get one more test before bed or set an alarm for later, +6-7 to check. Does that sound doable?

Critter Mom and Red & Rover (GA) like this.
  39. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Oh! I would have assumed the mid-cycle was high either from bouncing or the depot not having a chance to fill. :confused:

40. Sue and Luci

Very difficult to tell...since there aren't anymore tests...but we'll know soon. Typically Lantus it hitting it's peak effectiveness between 2+ and 6+ - like a curve...the numbers go down and down...and hit the lowest point of the day...and then back up and up...until the pre-shots...where they are often the highest...What we're hoping for are nice flat cycles...start with some blues...go down to maybe some greens...then maybe back to blue...until they reach a much closer place - regulation - where they may have more greens and some pre-shot blues...and then the next step...green, green and more green...on the road to remission...

Bounces of course occur from going too low - and their liver and pancreas just respond by dumping a load of stored up glycogen(sugars) into the blood stream as a defense mechanism to a perceived threat...like what's going on here? That blood glucose is lower than anything we're used to around here - so whip out the emergency funds to cover the deficit...and hope that it doesn't take too long to clear the bloodstream of all that excess sugar...and then we start again...and try to keep them from going too low by feeding appropriately, test/feed, test/feed...ever watchful of too low numbers...it's why they call it the sugar dance...

41. pktneli

pktneli New Member

I went back and checked my notes and I actually did have 2 midnight-ish readings for him. I’ve updated the spreadsheet. The first was early on when I needed my husbands help to hold him, I totally forgot about that. Then last Friday I took his test at midnight since we weren’t going to be home Saturday at noon. I don’t know how I spaced that! It’s only two night tests though, so I don’t know how helpful.

Panic and Red & Rover (GA) like this.
  42. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Hello and welcome to this forum. You have a very handsome kitty. Is his 17 lbs his good weight, a little high or a little low? I had a long haired Maine Coon cross too so know they can be a little "fluffier" than other cats.

First observation, other than Jax, everyone commenting here so far has black and white kitty avatars. :) Second observation, none of them have had cats that need higher doses, except me. Not saying your cat needs a higher dose, we just don't know yet but it's good to consider it's a possibility.
    I wouldn't call it rare, but rather less common. A cat needs however many units they need. For the record, the cats north of 80 units per shot are what I would call rare, though I've seen a couple in my time here. In all those cases, the cat typically had a secondary endocrine condition causing the diabetes and meant they needed higher doses. Those endocrine conditions are by no means rare, affecting one in four diabetic cats. And actually tend to mean the cat needs on average in the neighbourhood of 7-10 units.
    If a cat does need more insulin, you are wasting time getting to a good dose, plus increasing glucose toxicity. That means the cat gets used to higher numbers and it's harder, needs even more insulin to bring down the blood sugar numbers. If you follow SLGS strictly, reducing 3 units can take 12 weeks to get back to where you were before.
    I hope everyone one has noticed that the entries in the spreadsheet are not for every day, except the last three days. Before that, entries varied and were several days apart. That does mean the dose was held longer, possibly long enough to build the depot. However, I totally agree on the point on not getting a good picture of what the dose was going before it was increased. Did the vet go entirely by the numbers you provided when deciding to increase? Or were there other tests like fructosamines done? How has his pee volume changed over time? While not as good an indicator, that does say something.
    If a person is following TR, and seeing nadirs over 300, we start with 0.5 unit increases, which is what was done, except after the 278.

Other random observations, not all cats have their lowest point at +6, and the nadir or lowest is not always the same each cycle. Which is a pain when trying to figure out when to test. It can be better to just mix up when you get those tests, just somewhere in the middle is good, maybe +4 to +7. Getting a before bed test is also a good one from a data point of view cause even a +2 can tell us if there is downward movement in that cycle, or whether it's just high and flat.

So a strategy going forward, I think a good place to start is to see what is really happening on 5 units. If it's too high, he'll tell you by showing you lower numbers. With the weekend coming up, would it be possible for you to get 4 tests a day? Two preshot tests, just before the injection, and one sometime in the middleish of the day and one before bed or those midnight ones if you hubby is up. With the data you have so far on this dose, and a couple more days worth as I described, we should get a good picture what is happening at 5 units.

How is testing going now on the ears? I saw early one you were having difficulty with the black ears. I'm sure something almost all of us here can relate to. I put a very fine film of vaseline on the poke site, so the blood would pool there, and not hide in the dark fur. Some people tested on the inside of the ear.

43. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Tuxedo cats have to stick together! :p

I forgot about that part of TR! Time to brush up. :bookworm:

Thank you for the clarification - so then if I understand right if we DID have more tests done that showed lower numbers, reducing may have been recommended. But we don't have that data yet.

Sue and Luci likes this.
  44. Lisa & Oberon

Lisa & Oberon Well-Known Member

If you look at Oberon's spreadsheet (and especially the graph tab), you can see a pretty clear example of a bounce this week. I've been increasing his dose following the TR protocol, and he had been staying mostly in the 300s pretty much all the time, with occasional brief dips lower. A couple of days ago he moved up from 2.0 to 2.5 U, and it had a really dramatic effect. He went from 318 preshot to 96 7 hours later, and then by the next preshot check he was right back up to 324. He then overshot that and popped up into the 400s for a bit, then back down into the 300s for a day or so. Now it looks like he might be coming back down again. So in this case he didn't dip into dangerous territory, but his body reacted as if it had and dumped excess glucose into his blood to get it back to what it thinks of as "normal."

One thing you could try is fake "test sessions" where you just handle Eli and rub his ears, etc. and give him a treat, to start to get him (and you) used to testing. Also, watch out for odd things that might be offputting... for some reason Oberon really doesn't like the smell of the test strip vial, and backs away from it. I've learned to open it away from him so it doesn't bother him. I think at this point he's convinced that he has trained me to give him treats when he lies down in from of me on the table, and he hardly even notices the poke.

Sue and Luci and Panic like this.
  45. pktneli

pktneli New Member

17 lbs is his ideal weight. He had lost a little by the time he got diagnosed (I don't have the specific number on me), but he has always struggled with his weight (he has tended to always be a little over, but never more than 1/2 lb in the past few years).

Yes, just based on the numbers of the tests and my reports on his behavior. When we first started the insulin, he was definitely getting more back to normal, but as I've said, he's not been himself for about a week. I know my cat, and he's not right.

I haven't done a fructosamine. His pee volume and water drinking is still slightly elevated, but not what is was pre-diagnosis. I do find it interesting that he was in the 500s today, because he did drink more water today that he did yesterday or the day before (about 3/4 of a bowl from breakfast to dinner).

I'll definitely try. The pre-shot ones are honestly the hardest because he's so ready to eat (he's very food motivated, and I know the diabetes makes them even more hungry). As you all can tell, I really want to decrease him, so I'll do what I can to get the data.

46. pktneli

pktneli New Member

He reacts even when I bring the testing thing near him or he hears me take the top off a lancet or open the test vial. How are you all holding your cats when you do the ear? I've been kind of sitting him between my legs, sitting on the ground, but I really can't see if I get anything when I prick the ear (pre-shot tonight, he flinched and ran away - but not far because it was still dinner time haha). I can try the vaseline trick mentioned above, but he is very panicky and I just know bring more things around him will freak him out. He's pretty strong too, and a biter. It's a mess!

47. tiffmaxee

If he eats quickly you can test right after. It takes about 20 minutes or more to effect the bg. You could also try giving part of the food, test, and give the rest. How does that sound? And yes I noticed there weren’t daily tests.
    I’m glad you found us. :bighug:

Kyle & Simon (GA) and pktneli like this.
  48. tiffmaxee

I used to test Max in the bathroom sink. It was the perfect height for me but then I am vertically challenged.

Critter Mom likes this.
  49. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

You can give some freeze dried meat treats as part of the reward for the test - we all do that. They don't have any significant carbs, and cats quickly learn the reward. I and my hubby both sat our cat on our lap when we tested. I started by doing that in our tiny ensuite with the door closed - no place to run. The session started with lots of lovin' and cudding, fussing with ears, then eventually the poke. The odd rattle of the treat bag helped keep her attentive.

My guess is that last night he went lower than his body is used to, then he "bounced". Cats can bounce from seeing yellows if they aren't used to them. Which means temporary higher numbers. Getting him used to seeing lower numbers is how to train his body in the "new normal", instead of the high numbers he's used to now. My girl didn't start to see blacks until the insulin finally started getting her into numbers below 200.

pktneli likes this.
  50. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

I'm not a good example because my girl was extremely indifferent to testing. Didn't get excited, didn't run away. But a member here said that when he tested he would lay all the testing supplies out for kitty to see, and that's what I would do too.

Panic was a lap cat so I would sit on the floor, prop my knees up, and set her in my lap. Less is more with cats when it comes to restraining them ... but not all cats are game to that. :rolleyes:

If the sound of the test strip bottle, or the clicking of the lancing device bothers him, you'll want to desensitize him to it during non-testing times. Play with the ears, give a treat. Open the test bottle, give a treat. Sit him in your lap, give a treat. Associate it with good times, and most cats find it as a bonding experience after a while.

pktneli likes this.
  51. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

This too - I'd put Panic in my lap and then we'd just cuddle for a minute before getting down to business. Kisses and scritches. :cat:

52. pktneli

pktneli New Member

Eli’s not the most cuddly boy :arghh: he’s really only started sitting in my lap the past couple years, in his “old age.” He’ll be 12 on Sept 11!

53. Lisa & Oberon

Pre-shot is sometimes tough for us, too, especially in the morning when he hasn't been fed all night. (We leave food out for him, but there's not much left by 5 am when my husband gets up.) He gets cranky and bitey. Sometimes I just go ahead and feed him a bit to settle him down and then test him just a few minutes later.

54. pktneli

pktneli New Member

Thats really helpful! I didn’t know I could give him a little food first. I will try that in the morning.

55. tiffmaxee

You don’t want to feed two hours before am/pmps. Treats like freeze dried protein are fine.in a ouch if you just can’t test you could give a tad if very low carb food but test within a few minutes.

56. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

This is not something you have to worry about anytime soon, but later on down the road many caregivers have to stall feeding to wait for the pre-shot number to increase on its own to see if the numbers go high enough for insulin. So if you feed before testing you ruin your chances of stalling when needed. Again, not something to worry about right now, just something to keep in mind later on. ;)

57. Lisa & Oberon

I was just coming to say this! :) Hopefully by the time it's an issue for you because his numbers are lower, testing will be going more smoothly so you won't have to feed first.

Panic likes this.
  58. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Exactly!

Don't worry about it right now, you have enough to deal with atm - just keep it in mind so it doesn't sound like we're changing our tune later. :p

59. Briere Fur Mom

Briere Fur Mom Well-Known Member

It helped me when first beginning to test(I was dealing with 2 diabetics at once) to use the couch. I would put kitty in between me and the arm of the couch on my right side. All of the testing supplies were on the arm of the couch ready to go. The couch arm aided to keep the kitties in place. They complained a bit in the beginning but, once they learned rewards were involved they began to comply. I tested unassisted.
    Most kitties learn to come to the sound of test strips in the container. They do get used to all the testing. You just have to make the reward worth the poke;)

Welcome to the L&L forum. I look forward to seeing your journey with Eli(what a lovely name).
    Have a wonderful evening :)

60. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

How are you and Eli doing? :)

61. Sarah Gamm

Sarah Gamm Member

Unrelated question... how did you get the graph in your spreadsheet?

62. Lisa & Oberon

I made a new tab in the SS called Data and put the raw data there (columns for date/time, BG, dose, notes, etc.). Then I used the Insert Chart function and selected the appropriate data columns to make a BG vs. day/time graph. There's all sorts of formatting options you can play with, too. I really like it for seeing overall trends, but the regular SS everyone uses is better for seeing patterns based on shot times. The one annoying thing is that it means I'm entering the same info three times (main SS, graph data tab, and condo title), but it's not a big deal.

THH & Snowcrash (GA) likes this.