New member - vetpen or syringe?

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by BooBoo, Jun 21, 2021.

1. BooBoo

BooBoo Member

Hi,
    Diagnosed about 4 weeks ago.. early days. BG still very high I think. Fructo at diagnosis was 700+, most recent now 500+.
    was told to start 3 units caninsulin BID at first but he didn’t eat much so reduced to 1.5 BID, now gone up to 2 BID. Concurrent pancreatitis..
    started on syringe , then tried vetpen but he finds shots painful? Both with syringe n vet pen … so keeping the pen in for 5 seconds is difficult. Am going back to syringe .. have got different needle sizes , trying everything
    Am thinking of getting a libre fitted, can’t do hone testing so he went to vet for a curve . Apparently didn’t really show one , stayed high ..
    Difficult all round, no sleep , stressful for all

hello!

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

The pain from the pancratitis is probably keeping the numbers high. I wouldn't give 3 units without testing. How is it being treated? Usually it's with daily sub q's, cerenia for nausea and bupe for pain.

Chewy sells the pet test u40 syringes that are 31 guage which is thinner. It shouldn't hurt though. You are tenting the skin and putting just the tip of the needle in, right? No need to hold it in for 5 seconds. Just depress it and pull out.

I see in your signature got are feeding MD food. It's really not necessary and very expensive. Most feed fancy feast classic or Friskies pate foods.

There's a video in my signature showing how I tested my cat CC at home.

3. BooBoo

BooBoo Member

Thanks for replying!

yes I never got going on the vet’s first plan of 3 units as he wasn’t eating much. It’s not really being treated… he had gabapentin in past for his back so I’m trying to restart that but it’s difficult .

I have 30g, 8mm and 30g 12mm and the vet pen. He can squeal with any of them ..
    These were the best syringes I could get in uk.

He doesn’t really have a tent - too chubby so I have to hold up from base of fur.. I put all the needle in the skin.
    For vet pen, when I pull out (before 5 seconds) there is still insulin dripping from the needle,

yeah I have M/D - it’s a compromise between kidneys and weight loss/diabetes. I may be able to transition over to the wet stuff but I don’t think a high protein would help kidneys , and a high carb obviously won’t help diabetes and a high fat won’t help weight ..
    Tricky!!!

4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

This is why it's hurting. You may be hitting muscle. You just need it under the skin. Just the tip.

My cat had ckd and diabetes.... It's not the protien you have to worry about with the kidneys, it's the phosphorus. Weruva makes some fantastic choices that are both low carb and low phosphorus. This is what my cat ate... (But there are more choices as well)

Weruva slide and serve pate foods Family Food (.97 phosphorus and 0 carb). Also Jeopurrdy Chicken (0.97 P 6.1 carb)

What a Crock 0.71 phosphorus and 8 carb lots of gravy so she loved it.

Goody stew shoes 0.71 phosphorus, 8.5 carb. This one was a big hit

Weruva Steak Frites (0.57 phosphorus 5.5 carb although I take out any big pieces of potatoes to try to limit the carbs just a bit)

Weruva LA isla Bonita - phosphorus 0.77 carb 4.5 (used to like, not a favorite anymore)
    Glam and punk 1% carb, 0.93 phosphorous.

Weruva paw lickin chicken 3.3 carb 0.82 p and
    Press your lunch 5.9 carb. 0.82 phosphorous

Bff play Laugh Out Loud chicken and lamb 7.7 carb, 0.82 phosphorous

BFF play destiny (chicken and duck) 0.87 phosphorus 7.7 carb

Bff play chicken cherish 0.71 phosphorus 7.6 carb

Bff play best buds chicken and beef 7.9 carb 0.9 phosphorus

Bff play chicken Checkmate. 7.7 carb 0.7 phos

On the Cat Wok 3.8 carb 0.74 phos

5. BooBoo

BooBoo Member

Thanks - ok, I will have to check out if I can get those foods in uk. Re: the injecting - I thought it should go all way in so there was no needle showing outside. I dunno bout muscle - he’s very chubby but I will try with just putting it a little way in and see how he is . Poor lamb.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2021
    Reason for edit: Typo
  6. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Hi, there's a couple of links in my signature that you may find useful. One is to general UK info. The other is to a low carb food list.
    But just hold off on switching to lower carb until you're comfortable with testing blood glucose. Switching from high carb dry to low carb wet can change blood glucose levels significantly, and the insulin dose may need to be reduced also so as to avoid hypo...

I totally agree with Janet that, regarding kidney disease, protein in food is not generally the issue, phosphorous is. In fact keeping kitties on a diet with a decent protein content can really help them to maintain precious muscle mass.
    How advanced is your kitty's kidney disease...? Early? Mid? Later stage...?
    If you can't find foods that are sufficiently low in phosphorous - and assuming the blood phos levels warrant it - you can add a phos binder to ordinary food to reduce the amount of phos that is absorbed.

The 'tenting technique' didn't work well with my first diabetic. In his case it was simpler if I just grabbed some loose skin between the fingers and thumb of my non-dominant hand, then sort of pulled that up and tipped it up slightly. Then I'd give the shot almost directly downwards into the skin that I was holding in my hand, about mid way between fingers and thumb.
    This had the advantage for us that I could still give the shot safely if he moved a bit, as long as I was holding onto that skin! And it meant that I didn't accidentally prick him even if he moved, because the depth of skin in my hand was greater than the length of the syringe needle... ...If that makes sense...?
    Maybe something like that would work for you too...?

Eliz

7. BooBoo

BooBoo Member

Thanks, am managing with the syringe mostly - he doesn’t really have loose skin. I know that sounds weird - he’s meaty. On food: I am going to try 3 wet brands I found:
    Kattovit Diabetes (Blood Sugar) Chicken
    Concept for Life Veterinary Diet Weight Control
    Integra Protect Diabetes - Poultry

I will just see if he has any interest at all then make a plan to slowly introduce alongside his hills m/d dry.

he is having a libre fitted shortly and has just started some buprophrine oral for pancreatitis.. mixed results getting that in the cheek!!!

8. BooBoo

BooBoo Member

He has good days and bad days I think. To be expected , I wish he could talk and tell me how he is feeling