New Member With Questions

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Teachknows, Aug 13, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Teachknows

Teachknows New Member

Hi. I am hoping I'm doing this correctly. Here's the Reader's Digest version of my situation. I have a cat who will be 11 in March. He and I have been together for ten years this week. He came at a time when I needed him. I love him to death. With that said...
    In January, during his yearly exam, he was diagnosed with diabetes. Doc put him on a new diet with higher protein and lower carbs. Up til then, he was on a food that had helped him through years of having urinary tract infection issues. Once he began that food years back, we never had a problem again. Until now.
    When he started peeing on the carpet in the last month, my anxiety level went up. I called the doc. He left for me a 10-day supply of antibiotics to apply to his earlobe. Last Monday, that application ended and he seemed to be improved since he hadn't had any accidents outside his litter box. However, the doc didn't believe at the time he prescribed that med that he was actually having that issue. He was more concerned that his diabetes had worsened. In two words, it had.
    Doc looked at him two days ago. Sent in blood and urine. Results came back and doc said, "Uncomplicated Diabetes." He had been concerned about a thyroid issue as well, but that wasn't the case. He has lost ten pounds in 2020. He was a big cat, a long cat, but when the doc saw him, he was shocked at the weight he had lost. So...yesterday, the vet, after having received all the tests back said it was time to get him on insulin. The lantus glargine pen. I was to order online cuz it would be the least expensive, he said. I was not expecting what I saw last night when I ordered it. Add tax and shipping and the monthly cost is $135. That will be over $1600 a year. I truly was shocked.
    This morning, I woke up to my cat next to my upper body. He hasn't done that in a long time. I was encouraged. That implied he was ready to eat. He's having no issues eating or drinking. No puking at all. I got up, fed him, he ate it, and within an hour or so, came into the living room, stretched out on the floor for a few minutes, got up and there it was. A large wet stain. I was sick to my stomach once again.
    Nearly over here...so, I've spent $1000 on vet visits already in 2020. Not to talk about the prescription food. Then there's the new addition of insulin monthly. And I can tell you, more sadly than before, this cat is just not the Willy I have known for ten years. He just isn't the same cat any more. He sometimes looks like he's in a different world. His eyes just glaze over. He doesn't seem to be in pain. Doc said the same. But he is just not the same. And his hindquarters have changed. When he walks, he walks almost delicately on his back legs. They sometimes don't support him well. Doc said that's the diabetes. Doc also was bewildered as to why his heart rate was so rapid when he examined him, especially when the cat didn't show to be in stress.
    Questions: Will the insulin repair ALL of this? The bigger question I'm dealing with is When is expensive too expensive to maintain the health of a pet? I am exhausted from following him around making sure he hasn't peed elsewhere. I am tired of feeling guilty about my thoughts. I am weary of feeling sad. I just need someone who knows and has been there for guidance. I live alone and will be in the same situation once Willy is gone. I'm not in a hurry to say goodbye but I've laid my situation before you. What would YOU do? Thanks in advance for any input.

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  2. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

WELCOME TO FDMB! Boy you ans WIlly have been through it havent you? Sigh well we HOPE to make that better! Insulin used correctly WITH the proper diet CAN turn things around for Willy AND give you peace of mind. Your first post has made you a member of this amazing community of cat lovers. WELCOME TO OUR FAMILY!
    You may want to start here:
    New? How You Can Help Us Help You!
    Theres all kinds of beginner information there. I would serve you to check it out.;)

You will find a wealth of information here at your fingertips. We are dedicated to help all kitty cats that find their way here.
    Hold on for more replies as to specific questions. You and Willy have found a safe place to land.:bighug:
    jeanne

Teachknows likes this.
  3. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Many members buy it from Marks Marine Pharmacy in Canada.
    This will save you a lot of money
    These 5 solorstar pens will last you a year depending on the dose you will give
    The expiration date is on them , keep in the fridge and they will be good until you start to use them probably has an expiration date of 2022 or 2023
    Lantus Solostar CARTRIDGE 5x3ml
    per box (temp. gauge. ice pack, express-air mail) Brand 100iu/ml 15 ml $159.99 USD
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] Lantus Solostar PEN CAN (temp. gauge. ice pack, express-air mail) *single pen open box* Brand 100iu/ml one pen 3 ml $49.99 USD
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] Lantus Solostar PENS 5x3ml per box (temp. gauge. ice pack, express-air mail) Brand 100u/ml 15 ml $164.99 USD
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] Lantus VIAL Insulin (10ml per vial) (temp. gauge. ice pack, express-air mail) Brand 100u/ml 10 ml $110.99 USD
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
    Teachknows likes this.
  4. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome you are at the tight place you could ever find
    For the neuropathy in the legs this will help more so when you get the diabetes under control

Hi my cat had neuropathy, this is what I used and many others members because it's cheaper than Zobaline

Hi Here is the link https://www.vitacost.com/vitacost-vitamin-b-12-methylcobalamin-5000-mcg-100-capsules-6

Alot of members use this , I use it myself you can buy it on line from Vitacost
    Vitamin B-12 Methylcobalamin -- 5000 mcg - 100 Capsules
    It's 17.99 just be sure this is the one you buy
    The only difference is the Zobaline has 200 mcgs of folic acid
    So I buy the folic acid at the supermarket and crush it up and add it to the B-12
    If you can't find the 200 mcg get the 400 mcg and cut it in half
    The Vitacost brand is a capsule so just open it and pour the powder on the wet food
    Has no taste, no need to crush it up
    The Zobaline is 33.99 for 60 pills, too expensive
    I saw a big improvement I'd say 3 months, could be sooner. One capsule a day

Vitamin B-12 Methylcobalamin -- 5000 mcg - 100 Capsules

• SKU #: 835003001804
    • Shipping Weight: 0.23 lb
    • Servings: 100
    [​IMG]

Teachknows likes this.
  5. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Welcome. You have come to the best place for a diabetic cat. Me person I know from here has a cat that has been diabetic for 7 years. He’s now 21 years old. So get that death sentence out of your mind. You can test your cat’s blood glucose at home she you won’t need to ever see the vet for that. That’s great that your cat doesn’t have any other illnesses. You have already changed to a low carb diet and will order Lantus. I bought mine from Mark’s excerpt for my first vial. It nay lasted 6 months with 1/2 still left in the bottle so do get the pens. I used them to the last drop and they lasted over a year. Ignore the info from the pharmacy as that’s written for humans who don’t refrigerate it.

6. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

That pen should last you a few months. You don't need a new pen every month. The pen should have 300 units of insulin in it. If you use two units a day that's 150 days/5 months worth. Now your dose might go up. Let's say it goes up to 2 u twice a day, that's 4 units a day... That's still 2.5 months. Just keep it in the refrigerator. Now there are cheaper places to get lantus. You could get 5 of those pens for $190 from Marks Marine pharmacy in Canada.

You just started this journey. It's a marathon. The good news is we can help you!!! Cats can live a long healthy life with diabetes. My cat was diagnosed 4 years ago.

Oh! The diabetic neuropathy... The leg weakness... That can be resolved by getting him in a better glucose range and most find adding b12 methylcobalamin supplements to the food help as well. So how do you know if they are in a good range? Same way people do. You use a blood glucose meter. I have a video in my signature showing how I test my cat CC at home. Click the link below.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.