Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Ruth E, Aug 12, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ruth E

Ruth E New Member

Hello everyone, my name is Ruth. My beautiful girl Maya, was diagnosed on Monday. She is almost 13yrs old and the Grand Dame of the household. I'm a little overwhelmed but getting a handle on it - I had a diabetic guinea pig in the past and also my dog has Addison's Disease so I've gotten pretty proficient at giving needles. Maya has actually been much easier to give a needle to than my boy. She already was eating Fancy Feast classic so it is nice that her whole life won't have to change. I have a lot of reading to do and I'm trying to figure out the caloric breakdowns of what I should be looking for with her food but I will get there. My hope is that I can get her diabetes as well managed as my dog's Addisons. Looking forward to all your insights.

2. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

WELCOME TO FDMB Ruth! Ahhh you are a veteran needle pusher! thats great. We are a group of kitty cat lovers dedicated to the treatment of feline diabetes. We are so glad you found us!
    you may want to start here:
    New? How You Can Help Us Help You!

I'm wondering if you plan on home testing your Mayas blood glucose numbers. If so we have a spreadsheet for your convenience This info can be found here:
    Suggestions, Tech Support & Testing Area

Again welcome to the bast darn place to learn everything you need to know about Feline Diabetes!
    jeanne

Ruth E and Diane Tyler's Mom like this.
  3. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Welcome Ruth and Maya, I second it and trouble you are in the best darn place you could ever want to be :cat:

Ruth E and jt and trouble (GA) like this.
  4. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome Ruth and Maya!!

do you mean how many calories to feed her? A good rule of thumb is ideal weight times 20. Minnie is 16 pounds so that times 20 means she should be eating about 300 calories a day. Smaller meals more often throughout the day also seem to work better for cats who are grazers and it’s easier on their pancreas.

can you tell is what insulin she’s on?

Ruth E and jt and trouble (GA) like this.
  5. Ruth E

Ruth E New Member

Thank you Jeanne for the welcome!! Yes there is a lot to learn and sadly I am a pro at giving needles but Maya has been a trooper. It's harder on me than her. :) Home testing is something that I will talk to my vet about - sadly what I didn't mention in my first post was that I had found what I thought was a canker on her tongue but it may turn out to be cancer and I'll find that out at her next appointment. So, that more than anything will determine what direction I have to take. That said, I plan on learning everything so we can move forward into the future!!

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  6. Ruth E

Ruth E New Member

Thank you for the welcome!!! :)

7. Ruth E

Ruth E New Member

Thank you for the welcome! Great rule of thumb to follow!! Yes, Maya is definitely in the grazing category. :) The insulin she is on is Lantus. :)

8. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Maya is now on my prayer list! That "C" word scares the carp outta me! I cant imagine what its doing to you.
    Please give little Maya some scritches from us. We already love her.:bighug:
    and you too;):p

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  9. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Praying that it turns out to be nothing serious on Maya's tongue.
    Please keep us posted :bighug::cat:

10. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

I love Lantus and I really believe it’s a great insulin for cats!!

11. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Sending prayers from Cali too! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.