Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Hammy, Jan 26, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hammy

Hammy Member

Helllo! New Member!

Quick intro: George diagnosed 01/03/2021
    Started lantus 01/23/2021

vet told me not to check numbers at home and give 2 units every 12 hours, 15 minutes after he eats.
    (questioning now weather that should be 15 minutes after he starts eating or finishes eating as it takes him about 10-12 minutes to eat.)

Aiming for 8am and 8pm so I feed him at 750, and give him the insulin at 810

vet also told me to get the alphatrak2 which I know see I can get a relion and will, but haven't been able too yet. I have only tested him 2x. Sunday night right as he started eating (first time and wanted him distracted while I tested) and BG came to 405

This morning I tested for a second time when he started eating and BG was 298

with such differences in numbers, I am concerned about the amount of insulin, as I have been reading about too much.

I did give 2 units for the first 2 days but after reading I lowered it to 1.5 because I have been nervous. I still gave him the insulin with his numbers being at 298.

I think that she wanted him to be at 2units because he use to weigh 23 lbs (overweight) and now is 14lbs and the number she gave me at the vet was 700 something. He was highly stressed and I need to find out of they only took one reading.

Do you think he is ok for now? Should I test again? I am not wanting him to hate me pricking him so I am trying to take it easy. I need to learn the healthy BG numbers and when not to give him insulin or when to adjust. According to my vet I don't need to adjust until we do a BG curve in 2 weeks.

Thank you,
    Heather

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
  2. CLM1975

CLM1975 Member

Welcome from one George to another! I can't give dosing advise as I'm a relative newbie as well. (Got George quickly in remission last year and unfortunately now we're back.)

Read everything you can here, there is A LOT to learn but this website is the best resource ever for you & George as you navigate this new and confusing diagnosis.

Testing is so incredibly important! I was having trouble testing his ears at first (last time he had a Freestyle libre glucose monitor, good to get started but you'll very likely need to ear prick test as well.) so I tested myself to try things out. It didn't hurt one tiny bit! Plus cats ears have fewer nerve endings so it isn't painful. Our cats pick up a lot from us, pretend you're calm and collected and testing is NBD and George will feel the same. You're stressed, he'll be stressed. Try to fake it for now. It took less than a week for me to get it down pat.

Watch a YouTube video or two on testing. I tried to find the video I watched on YouTube without success, but there are many there to watch.

Good luck!

Hammy and Critter Mom like this.
  3. Hammy

Hammy Member

Thank you so much! =)

4. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

great you are testing. 2 units is a lot to start with. Test before every dose of insulin to see it is safe to give. And test again during the first half of the cycle a couple of times at day +3 and +6. Vary the times.
    If you get a number under 200 stall, dont feed and test again in20 minutes to see if the numbers are rising. Post and ask for help.

If you could get a spreadsheet set up we can help you a lot more. Link
    https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/how-to-create-a-spreadsheet.241706/

Hammy likes this.
  5. Hammy

Hammy Member

Thank you! I did get a spread sheet going. I have only tested two times so far. I didn't get enough blood before he ate and ruined the strip. I was at walmart tonight trying to find the right meter to get and they didn't seem to have the one I was looking for (ReliOn Micro) but was also interested in the freestyle freedom light. They also didn't have ReliOn Micro. The recommended list on here was from 2018. Is that the most updated one?

There is so much to learn, and I do not have time to read it all but find myself jumping form thread to thread.

Thank you for this forum and support! Isn't it crazy that my vet said not to test for 2 weeks?!

6. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hammy likes this.
  7. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Great job learning to test already! Your cat is lucky to have you. Best practice is to get a test before every shot, and try to get at least one mid cycle reading or before bed test. This way see how low the dose is taking them. In the beginning it's hard to get tests in but it will be easier as more capillaries grow.

Hammy likes this.
  8. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

I believe that the Relion Micro and Confirm meters have been discontinued. Two models that are available at time of posting are the Relion Prime and Premier.

Mogs

Hammy and Deb & Wink like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.