New member.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Mariaana and Milo, Feb 15, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mariaana and Milo

Mariaana and Milo Member

Hello I'm on this brand new journey with my sugar baby Milo.
    Not very good with computers or technical stuff.. if someone could
    help me set up the spread sheet i would be forever grateful!
    Thank You.

Critter Mom likes this.
  2. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA) Well-Known Member

@Bandit's Mom and @Chris & China (GA)

can you tell us a bit more about Milo? What insulin is he on, food? I take you’re home testing and good for you! What meter are you using?

thank you and welcome! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  3. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Mariaana and Milo and welcome to the forum. We are very happy you have found us.
    Looking forward to hearing about Milo and his journey so far.
    If you haven’t already thought about home testing and haven’t bought a glucose meter, I would recommend you buy a human meter such as one of the ReliOn meters you can buy at Walmart. They are inexpensive and the strips are cheap.

Bhooma (bandits Mom) will be along in a few hours and will be happy to help with the SS.

Here are a couple of links to read in the meantime
    Home testing link https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/hometesting-links-and-tips.287/

Link to useful info about setting up a hypo kit, signature and spreadsheet
    https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/new-how-you-can-help-us-help-you.216696/

Link to food charts. Look for food 10% or less carbs for low carb food, 11 to 16% for medium carb, and 17% and above for high carb food (for your hypo kit)
    https://catinfo.org/docs/CatFoodProteinFatCarbPhosphorusChart.pdf

ask lots of questions, we are happy to answer them. It is a steep learning curve in the beginning but it will soon become old hat!
    Bron

4. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

5. Mariaana and Milo

Mariaana and Milo Member

Hi and thank you for the warm welcome! And the great links. Milo is coming up to 11 years this March. Yes, i have started home testing 4-or 5 days ago ,living in Canada i bought a Bravo Meter that i really like. As for the actual testing... lets say its hit and miss. He 'was' an outdoor/indoor cat until just a few weeks ago, and he is not a happy camper at the moment! As soon as he was diagnosed with Diabetes (January 28/2021) i switched his food from Royal Canine Canned " weight control" and Royal Canine" Dental" dry food .He is now eating Purina ProPlan Veterinary Diet.~ DM~ ( I mix the food with water) No dry food at all, planning on slowly switching his food eventually to Friskas" canned Pate or" Fancy Feast" pate's as i have read here that they are just as good as the very expensive "Vet Food"! Milo is on Lantus Insulin ~1 Unit, twice a day~ ( In the beginning he was prescribed 2 Units of Lantus twice a day,) Dosing was adjusted by the vet 4 days ago ,as Milos blood sugar is not as high as previously. He had his first glucose curve at the vet on February 10. While there his AM glucose was good enough to skip his insulin. Our vet thinks that Milo might be starting a remission..The Vet also recommended that i pre shoot at least before giving him his insulin. If his glucose is Greater 10 (mmo/L ~ (Canada) Give him 1 Unit Lantus and if below 10 skip the insulin. Sorry for the lengthy post! So glad to have found this awesome and supportive group.

6. Bron and Sheba (GA)

It will be easier to help you once the SS is set up and you have been able to add some data to it.

Critter Mom likes this.
  7. Bron and Sheba (GA)

We recommend testing before every shot to see it is safe to give the insulin.
    We also recommend testing at least once during the cycle to see how low the dose is taking Milo.
    Lantus dosing is based on the nadir not the preshot.
    You will want to keep giving the insulin for as long as is safely possible......we go down to a drop of insulin before stopping........as it’s important to make sure that the remission is a strong remission, and Milo doesn’t fall out of remission further down the track.

Critter Mom likes this.
  8. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Hi @Mariaana and Milo , am sending you a PM now for the info I need to set-up your Spreadsheet and Signature.

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
  9. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.