Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by _katelyncross, Apr 8, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. _katelyncross

_katelyncross New Member

My sugarcat is Chance, he is 3. He was diagnosed on April 4th/2021, we were put on 2U of Prozinc every 12 hours. We changed his diet to Purina DM

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome to the FDMB!

The D/M really isn't necessary. There's absolutely nothing special in it that treats diabetes either. You're paying a premium price for a food with inferior grade ingredients and a well known name (and big advertising budget). The good news is that it's 100% guaranteed! Most of us returned it and told our vet that our cat wouldn't eat it anymore.

You do want to feed a low carb canned or raw diet, but you sure don't have to pay $2.50 a can for it! Most of us feed our own cats Fancy Feast Classics, Friskies pates or 9-Lives ground because they're under 10% carbs, easy to find and affordable.

2U is actually a higher starting dose than we recommend. Most cats should start at between .5 and 1U and then by home testing, you learn how they're responding to treatment and if you need to increase (or decrease) the dose.

There's a lot of good information in the Sticky's on the ProZinc forum too!

3. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

4. _katelyncross

_katelyncross New Member

How does feeding the wet canned food work? Is it a can a day? Half a can in the am and the other half in the pm?

5. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

It will depend on the size of the can and the size of the cat. You will need to give a meal before the insulin dose and then a couple of snacks during all the cycles (a cycle is 12 hours). So if you are using small cans I would imagine maybe 3/4 of a can for each main meal ( that would be 1 1/2 cans) and then another 1 1/2 cans for the snacks during the day and evening cycles. We suggest snacks during the first 6 or 7 hours of the cycles. 2 or 3 snacks each cycle.
    I feed a raw diet so someone may want to correct me if I am wrong with the portions of the cans.

I agree withChris that 2 units is too high a dose to start with.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.