New overwhelmed member

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Lalkabee, May 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lalkabee

Lalkabee Member

Hello, I am a new member but i have been reading the Forum for a week. My apologies if my english isn't very good, i am french Canadian.

I am the proud mom of 2 babies, Bee and Pie. On April 16th Bee (10 years old) spent 2 days at the vet hospital. On top of the diabetes, she had a bladder infection. She is now back home since 2 weeks and doing much better. She is on 1 unit of Prozinc. My vet sold me Royal Canin Diabetic wet food and a big bag of dry. The ingredients scared me...told her that and also decided to not feed her dry anymore, so she sold me Purina DM. I won't be able to afford the DM, so i am using 1/3 of a 5.5oz of it mixed with 1 can of FF pate (2x per day). I try to feed only 2 times but Bee is very hungry.

Did my first curve today, i am freaked out...Only 1 test left to do today. It as been hell. I am really bad at taking the blood samples even with all the advice on this forum. There no blood or too much and i am so nervous, i can't stop shaking. The BG seem to high but my vet is telling me to give it time because of the new diet.

Anyway, i want to say Hi and Thank you for this forum, hopefully i will get better.

2. Dusty & Roe

Dusty & Roe Member

Hi I’m New here too and it is all Overwhelming I really understand . Just wanted to let you know all the people on here are so supportive and helpful they have helped my sanity and that’s a lot lol ( laughing ) This is all such a learning process

3. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

WELCOME! I know how you feel I was the same way when we found out Trouble had diabetes. This is the right place to help you help Bee. Congratulations you already figured out the spread sheet! One thing though it doesnt include your insulin type. You may want to add that. I'm also guessing that one unit of Prozinc is give twice a day right?

Just wanted to welcome you and say...It WILL get easier! :coffee:

BTW I sucked at testing too. ;)
    jeanne

Deb & Wink, Lalkabee and Dusty & Roe like this.
  4. Lalkabee

Lalkabee Member

Thank you so much for your reply. Reading your message made me cry and laugh at the same time...that's how exhausted i am today! I will see you around :)

Deb & Wink and Dusty & Roe like this.
  5. Lalkabee

Lalkabee Member

Thank you Jeanne for your support :) . I will add the insuline type and yes, two time/day at 8 am/pm. I have a question about the spreadsheet...do i have to save it every time i add something to it (before closing it) ?

6. Dusty & Roe

Dusty & Roe Member

Are you kidding me I will even check in with you !

7. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA) Well-Known Member

I can promise Dusty will. She’s great about that

Welcome and google drive will auto save it for you so you don’t have to :)

good for you for not feeding her dry even though the vet recommended. It’s much better not to! And fancy feast is fine, you don’t have to spend a ton of money most of us here feed our cats FF :)

testing is nerve wrecking. I don’t know that it will ever not be, truly if you care I mean. It seems to me a bit like public speaking or performing, if you’re not nervous you’re dead ;)

you’re doing great, hand in there, and I’m sure you’ll get warm welcomes from the other fellow Canadians here too! :bighug:

Dusty & Roe, Deb & Wink and Lalkabee like this.
  8. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Sorry I should have included that I no longer have a diabetic kitty. Trouble passed away long before we even had spreadsheets. But that just goes to show what a tight knit family we have here. I as well as others stay to pay it forward. We stay because we love FDMB.
    @AleluiaGrugru&Minnie might know the answer to your spreadsheet question. Ale?:bighug:

OOPS I see shes already answered it. :p

9. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Deb & Wink likes this.
  10. Diane Tyler's Mom

Testing
    We all know the basics:
    • Warm the ear with a rice sock or a warm washcloth wrapped in a plastic bag.
    • Either freehand or use a lancing device; new members usually start with a larger gauge lancet such as 28g or 29g until the ear learns to bleed; then progress to a 31g or 33g which are finer.
    • Be sure to poke in the "sweet spot" and not the major vein that runs along the length of the ear. Poking the vein will not only hurt, but will result in a lot of blood. The sweet spot is on the edge of the ear.
    [​IMG]
    But did you also know there is a particular way for the lancet to be used? It has one side that is beveled so the sharpest part goes in first, if used correctly.

Deb & Wink and Lalkabee like this.
  11. Diane Tyler's Mom

Lalkabee likes this.
  12. Lalkabee

Lalkabee Member

Hi and Thank you...forgetting to save my spreadsheet will be one less thing to stress about hehe. Bee's diabetes just came at the wrong time (not saying there is a right one) as i was struggling with my own health problem, money and Covid-19 on top of everything (can't visit my SO and family anymore). I am so glad to have found you guys :) I am ready to fight for Bee, i love her so much.

13. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

:bighug:

14. Lalkabee

Lalkabee Member

Oh, i watched this video a few days ago! The sweet spot isn't so sweet to me :p ...i might hit the little vein or is it normal to get a lot of blood between it and the edge of the ear? I should maybe try a smaller lancet (currently using size 28). I made a little rice sock today and my cat tolerate it way better than the pill bottle filled with warm water, it also stay warm longer. Thank you so much for your help :)

15. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

it depends. So no 2 times are the same I feel. Sometimes I get way too little and can’t squeeze any more out so I have to prick again. Then sometimes I go get a lot of blood and feel horrible but once you apply pressure with a cotton ball it stops and there shouldn’t leave a bruise. I find it’s best to the putter edge as much as possible abs also the higher part of the ear closer to the tip. I use 28 also

16. Lalkabee

Lalkabee Member

Exactly...The lancet went through the ear last week...i felt so bad and i hated myself even more because i didn't even have enough blood for the strip. Her ears are a bit bruised at the moment, but OMG the curve is done!

17. Lalkabee

Lalkabee Member

So sorry about Trouble :(

18. Diane Tyler's Mom

Sometimes I'll get a lot of blood, might have hit a vein, or I might even get a lot at the edge of the ear. You could try a smaller lancet and see how it goes.
    Make sure the beveled part is facing up. Good luck

19. Diane Tyler's Mom

You can put a little neosporin ointment with pain relief on them, not the cream, has to be the ointment. What a precious face Bee has

20. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Boujour from the west coast of Canada. We don't have Neosporin in Canada, but you can get Polysporin with pain relief, it's the black and yellow box.

A favour to ask of your spreadsheet entries. You will see there are two tabs, one labelled US mg/dl and the other World mmol/L. Could you put your entries into the World tab, instead of the US tab. The US uses a different measuring system than us, but the spreadsheet will automatically convert the numbers to the US numbers for you. The majority of people here are from the US, so we use mg/dl as the common "language" of blood sugars.

There is no need to feed the expensive vet food. The vast majority of people here feed low carb wet or raw food that is available at pet stores, or even the supermarkets. You can always return the unused stuff for a refund, tell the vet clinic the cat wouldn't eat it.

21. Lalkabee

Lalkabee Member

Allo et merci de me repondre :)

I am looking but can't see the tabs...can you tell me where they are located on the spreadsheet? Can i switch them back and forth after, my vet do want my data to be non-US. You are from Canada so what do you think about Boreal wet food? the Tuna and chicken 5.5oz has 0 carb. Bee like it for treat but i wonder if its a good idea to use it for her main meals mixed with the FF. I can't return the food because of the covid...i will try to return the dry if i can later but i am gonna give the wet Royal Canin to Pie. I tried to tell my vet about cheaper low carb food and she was rude, same when i asked if i could use a meter for human...Edit: She never offered to test BG at home, i asked about it because of this forum

22. Wendy&Neko

Try the bottom left of the Google docs spreadsheet if you are editing it? And yes, easy to switch back and forth. Actually, you can just use the World one and pretty much ignore the other one.

We have had people feed the Boreal before. I think it's a little higher carb than they suggest on their website. Out west, there aren't very many stores that sell it. This food list is for the US, but over half the products are available here. You want under 10% carbs.

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  23. Lalkabee

Lalkabee Member

She is so cute :) . I got the polysporin ointment with antibiotic and pain relief this week. I was preparing for the curve day like if it was gonna be the apocalypse ><

24. Lalkabee

Lalkabee Member

I think i entered all my data under under US mg/dl...do i have to copy them to world mmogl/L so they can be converted after? This is the boreal food i am talking about...http://catfooddb.com/product/boreal/Red Tuna with Chicken in Gravy

Edit: Got it and the US numbers are there, thank you

Last edited: May 1, 2020
    Reason for edit: update
  25. Wendy&Neko

Maybe delete the first two rows of numbers in the US tab. The rest looks good. Are you just blood testing once a week? We strongly recommend testing before every shot, at a minimum, to make sure it's safe to give insulin.

It's not a great idea to feed cats fish every day.

26. Lalkabee

Lalkabee Member

I agree about fish...that's why i was thinking about mixing. I plan on doing regular testing but her BG is so high atm. Also dealing with her antibiotics for her bladder and eyes...my own health issues...me and her are a train wreck :(

27. Dusty & Roe

Dusty & Roe Member

Hi just checking in on you how are you today ? Bee is Beautiful . !

Deb & Wink likes this.
  28. Lalkabee

Lalkabee Member

Hey you :) Thanks for checking on me. Bee still have a cute kitten face and can do very good 'sad puppy eyes' to manipulate me :p I am ok...i tested her BG pre-shot today and was worried about the result. How are you, and how is your baby? Add a pic of your baby, i would like to see her.

Deb & Wink likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.