New prozinc user - a few questions

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Nikki-Jo, May 23, 2020.

1. Nikki-Jo

Nikki-Jo New Member

Hey all.... so my kitty was started on prozinc 1 unit every 12 hours back on April 19.

I have since raised him to 2iu every 12 hours.

Hes about 380-400 prior to meals, which are typically 12 hours apart.

I did a glucose curve and his lowest registered value checking every 2 hours came
    In about 4.5 hours after the shot. Then 2 hours and 15 or so mins after that, he shot right back up. Seems like a short half life?

Here’s the values

0820 Pre meal: 351

0830 Fed half can of low carb friskies classic pate

0845 2iu given

1045: 192

1248: 145

1500: 281

1700: 303

I have three questions

1) do you think I should increase units ?

2) do you think I’d be better regulating him with a longer acting insulin? If so, any recommendations ?

3) has anyone noticed a spike in the starting values after starting insulin? His AM and PM shots are coming in in the high 300s to
    Low 400s lately and this is higher than his values were at the point of diagnosis appx 1 month ago. I’d expect them to have gone down some especially with a total dietary change. I have eliminated his kibble totally, only
    Give low carb treats and sparingly, and have Changed him totally over to a lower carb wet food, typically friskies classic pates and only 1/2 can at a time... so, really a very low carb content.

also, I am using a relion prime meter and all readings have been done using the same meter. I haven’t started a spreadsheet yet as I only did one glucose curve .. the rest of my readings are 12 hours apart and in line with his meals and shots.

Thoughts?

Thanks !!!! ❤️❤️

Deb & Wink likes this.
  2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

1. Based on these readings alone I’d say yes, going to 2.25u.... but since you have readings you wrote down, can you post a picture of the readings you have?

2. prozinc is a good insulin.... you don’t need to switch.

3. insulin needs fluctuate. It’s not a set it and forget it thing. You’ll find the right dose and eventually the numbers will improve.

I’d work on that spreadsheet, and if you could set up a signature that would help because we won’t have to ask the same questions repeatedly. To do that, click on your name at the top and choose signature. Add info like your cats name, date diagnosed, insulin type, food you're feeding, meter you use, and any other health concerns and medications.

JOJI and Kit and Deb & Wink like this.
  3. Nikki-Jo

Nikki-Jo New Member

Thank you. I’ll work on this today and touch back.

JanetNJ likes this.
  4. Nikki-Jo

Nikki-Jo New Member

5. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Hello! :)

As Janet said, Prozinc is a good insulin, however if you feel it is not doing enough for your kitty you can switch to Lantus, it is most successful in cats.
    Have you read the sticky for Prozinc's Start Low Go Slow protocol? That will teach you how long to hold a dose and when to increase/decrease/maintain.

Also see you're feeding twice a day ... kitties should be getting their bigger meals at shot-time but they also need mini meals throughout the day (and night). If your cat is a grazer you can let him free-feed, otherwise get an autofeeder (most of us use Petsafe 5) to schedule meals. Usually for Prozinc you want to offer another snack around +2 and then at or shortly before nadir. 4-6 meals per cycle is easier on the pancreas than two big ones for breakfast/dinner.