New ProZinc User

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Angela & Blackie & 3 Others, Jun 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

Angela & Blackie & 3 Others Well-Known Member

Blackie, who is a 10 yo female domestic shorthair, was diagnosed in March with diabetes. We first put her on Glipizide, and that started making her vomit after a few weeks, then we put her on Vetsulin. Found out that was being recalled (according to the vet, the company wasn't making it anymore), and now she's on ProZinc, and has been since May 15 of this year. Vet recommended we put her on the Hill's Prescription W/D dry, and she was on that for some time. She's been through 2 curves at the vet's, and both times, they've increased her dosage. In fact, each time we go there, they have increased her dosage. The last time we were there (June 19th), she was at 8 units BID The time before that was 2 weeks prior to the 19th, and she was at 6 units BID. The vet wanted to jump her dosage 2 units in 1 day! On the 19th, I wanted to switch her to a commercial brand wet food (Fancy Feast Classic), but the vet wanted her on the Hill's Prescripion W/D wet. The vet was all for putting her on wet food only (providing we did that we can leave the dosage at 8 units BID), though, but not onboard with the FF... Yet. I said, "Ok, we'll try this for a week, then we'll try the FF diet, and we'll stay at the 8 units BID." Blackie was fine the rest of Saturday, all day Sunday and then all day Monday. Monday, June 21st, a friend came over and offered to show me how to hometest and brought over a spare meter, etc. Monday, Blackie was fine. Tuesday, she was fine in the a.m., and after 8 units and food, but that afternoon, she hypo-ed. She went down to 21. I panicked, called my friend, and through her, I was able to save my Blackie. That night, I dropped her insulin right to 1, and switched her food to the Fancy Feast Classic wet. The next morning, I called the vet, and told her what had happened. She asked me what the symptoms were, at which point I told her that Blackie was staggering (which was the most noticable symptom that I could see). I gave her the #'s, and told her what I was doing. I asked her what we should do next? There was about a 10 second pause on the phone, and she told me to keep doing what I'm doing, and to bring or fax in the #'s. I'll do that this weekend as it'll give the vet more information as to what's going on with Blackie. I'll ask the lady at the front desk to copy the pages as I need my log book.

I hope to not get another hypo episode like that again. Anyway, and with my friend's help, we're GRADUALLY increasing her insulin levels, not jumping. Had it not been for the spare monitor, I wouldn't have known what to do.

Does anyone else have success with using the ProZinc insulin? I'll be starting her on 1.2 units this evening. I use a I-100 insulin syringe now, and I know that the 1.2 for U-40 is 3.00 for a U-100, as per the conversion chart.

Also, can I prefill syringes with the ProZinc? It was suggested that I could, but I'm reluctant to do so as I'm used to gently mixing it.

How many times should it be gently rolled side to side or top to bottom (hoping that makes sense).

2. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Angela!!! Glad things are going better & you have someone who can help you out. Sounds like you are on the right track!

The prefilling makes me nervous too - I think some have done that though for a petsitter. There are some specifics I think of how you have to store the syringe, and then I guess they roll it gently before using. I have never done it, but perhaps those who have will chime in with more info.

I roll the vial side to side several times (have never counted!!!) til it is mixed well. I don't think there's a magic #, but you want enough of course that it is fully mixed.

Lots of people are having a good run with ProZInc, hopefully it will work great for you! :D

3. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

Thank you, Joanna. :) I subconciously count to about 14 or 15 times when I'm either gently rocking or rolling it. LOL Hmm... This could be a great name for a rock and roll band... The ProZincx!!! LOL :)

I'm doing the best that I can, and I'm glad that I've stumbled across the main FDMB as well as this one. Since I'm the only one that gives Blackie her shot, and tests her blood, I need to learn as much as I can, and not necessary in a short period of time, though (if that makes any sense). :)

4. Laurie and Mr Tinkles

Laurie and Mr Tinkles Well-Known Member

Hi Angela,
    I'm glad you made your way over to PZI land! Sometimes posts in Health get "lost" in all of the traffic. It's quieter over here, and you can get PZI/Prozinc specific info. If it's something urgent, you still want to post on Health, though, because there isn't always someone around here. :smile:

I'm glad you are using the u100 syringes, that will make your dosing adjustments much easier! Yes, there are people who are using Prozinc successfully, and some are in remission.

I haven't pre-filled syringes either, because I am the only shot-giver in my house at the moment. You might try searching for "pre-filled syringes" because I know there is info somewhere on that topic.

I roll the vial several times too, like Joanna, but I don't count either. Maybe around 10 times, because I want to be sure I'm getting it well mixed.

5. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

Thank you, Laurie. :) I guess I'm still apprehensive about doing it since I fear that the insulin may not get mixed up properly or something. Knowing me, I'll stick with what I know best, and try not to handle the insulin too much while drawing. :)

I think right now in this stage of treatment, I'm trying to find a right combination of food and insulin dosage. I'm getting help from a very good friend of mine who has been through this before. PMPS showed yet another red #, and I called her up earlier to tell her about the other good #'s (had 2 blues, yeah, Blackie! LOL). I have patience. After all, I cross stitch, so must have patience. LOL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.