Info Sourcing Insulin More Economically

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Marje and Gracie, Mar 24, 2024.

1. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

We’ve all noticed how the cost of insulin continues to rise. Many members have found more economical ways to source it and some of these methods are provided below:

1. Order from Mark’s Marine Pharmacy in Canada (information provided by Chris & China (GA)
    You'll pay about 1/3 to 1/2 as much as you pay here in the US!!

Marks is fantastic and has been used by hundreds of other sugarcat moms and dads from all over the country. Insulin is shipped with a medical grade icepack as well as enclosed in a special envelope designed to control temperature. During warmer months, they may also suggest buying a small cooler too.

Current prices are: (as of 03/24)

Shipping is $25 (up to $500 worth)

Lantus cartridges (box of 5) $159.99
    Lantus Solostar pen (box of 5) $164.99
    Lantus vial $110.99
    Individual pens $49.99

Basaglar Kwikpen (box of 5 pens) $139.99
    Basaglar cartridges (box of 5) $139.99
    Basaglar (1 pen or cartridge) $39.99

Semglee (box of 5) $129.99

Levemir Flextouch (box of 5) $169.99

During the winter they will want to know what kind of temperatures you're expecting in your area before they ship so there's no chance of your insulin freezing in transit, so if you can, plan ahead and order when it's not going to be any problem!!

In the summer, it's best to try to order when your temps are forecast to be under 80 for the upcoming week. For an extra charge, you can also add a cooler and extra ice packs to help keep things cool. They include a temperature gauge so you can see if your insulin has gotten too hot too.

Here's a video explaining how they ship to keep temperature-sensitive medications as safe as possible.

2. Use a Discount Coupon at CVS (information provided by Staci & Ivy) (be sure you follow the directions exactly as written under “Exact Prescription Wording”).
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Use a Manufacturer’s Savings Card (be sure the manufacturer/pharmacy thinks the insulin is for a human and not a cat; this can be an issue with a prescription if your cat’s name is “Fluffy” instead of “Alice”, for example).

Lantus Savings Card
    Levemir Savings Card
    Basalgar Savings Card
    Semglee Savings Card

We are leaving this thread open for members to add their experiences in saving on insulin but please be sure your post is short and concise with any necessary instructions or photos. Please do not clutter the thread with comments on whether a specific method did or didn’t work for you or just on general discussion as it makes it difficult to wade through the chatter to find the information :) This thread is solely for information on resources in acquiring less expensive insulin.

Thank you all very much.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2024
  2. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

There's a coupon on GoodRx to get a box of Lantus pens for $35 (US only). I made sure the vet used the exact wording in #2 for the prescription.

It really depends on the pharmacist working that day and which pharmacy you use. Some members have reported issues using the coupons listed above at the pharmacy.

Check the Supply Closet forum here on FDMB for insulin someone no longer needs, preferably someone who lives in your general area so there isn't any shipping involved. I've gotten insulin from a local FDMB member whose cat went OTJ pretty quickly and the bottle worked it's magic on my then-diabetic, lowering those pink numbers to blue until it went BIPO :facepalm:

Last edited: Mar 25, 2024
  3. Jason - Kona's Dad

Jason - Kona's Dad Well-Known Member

FYI - my experience last week getting a refill at Walmart.

Box of 5 Lantus Pens was $96 using the GoodRx. I asked why it wasn't $35 and they said it was because my dose was written for 0.75U and the coupon is $35 for a "monthly supply."

Still, for less than $20 per pen is AMAZING! My very first single Lantus pen from my vet's store was $200. :blackeye:

Staci & Ivy and squeem3 like this.
  4. Staci & Ivy

Staci & Ivy Well-Known Member

Units specified seems to be critical on the prescription to have it covered properly. (Should say maximum of 50 units per day as in the attached instructions above).
    I’m glad you got a better price.

Jason - Kona's Dad likes this.
  5. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

My prescription didn't specify a dose but the pharmacist still asked for a dose so the prescription could be processed in their system.

This is what the prescription info sheet has on it:

20240325_152041.jpg

6. JoM

JoM Member

I tried to share relevant info, but my post was deleted.
    Ok, I got one pen for $21.68 at Walgreens with Lantus coupon. If you want to know details, ask.

7. Daphne'sChallenge

Daphne'sChallenge Member

I haven't seen anyone post this, but my vet called the RX to the human pharmacy and we paid $35 for Glargine, as a result of the recent insulin pricing changes.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2024
    Reason for edit: deleted political comment
  8. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

This is a not a good thread to talk about Levemir substitutes. The article you linked talked about Lev being phased out in the US. Ask your pharmacist about availability in Canada. I've heard it may continue in Europe.