new, still testing under 170, over 115

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by MHHCoach, Dec 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MHHCoach

MHHCoach Member

So tux who had a dental infection, random super hard mass grow at the base of his tail in April 2020. had no sign of diabetes, but was very ill, and fully recovered.

for 14.5 years he was free fed dry food (blue buffalo), and stayed at 7.5 pounds.

Saturday he went in for a dental cleaning in which they found he gained 1.5 lbs, but he apparently had a bad molar the extracted, and a murmur now.

during the appt saturday his glucose was 296, and fructosamine was 487.

i was told he's diabetic, give 2u 2x a day of vetsulin see you in 2 weeks.

i totally swapped him to all wet food, started the 2u, saturday night.
    he had 4 doses total at 2u
    (sat night, sun, mon morn.)
    1.5 mon night. 1 Tuesday morn and 1 u Tuesday night, none this morning.

I've finally had a few glucose readings as follows: (I'm working on the chart)
    12.22 6:30 am 1u (no test yet)
    12.22 5:30 pm bg 120
    12.22 he ate a few bites and went to 125

12.22 9:00 pm 124 - vet wants 2u, I'm thinking 1u, ended up learning after I gave it that it wasn't needed.

midnight he was at 118

12.23 8am 162 pre food/no shot

12.23 2pm 119

his energy is lower today, ate this morning but not interested yet this afternoon.. been very lazy today, but not dehydrated.

so we are on 1u given at 9pm 17 hours ago.

I was doing 630 am, 630pm until yesterdays mishap in the evening.

but does this seem like diabetes, too early to tell, maybe the 2 weeks were elevated due to milk/dry food and tooth issues?

2. MHHCoach

MHHCoach Member

vet still wants 1u if numbers are in the 100s ?!

his 4pm glucose is at 147 relion, 148 alphatrak

3. Ann & Scatcats

Ann & Scatcats Well-Known Member

Hi,yes all those are still diabetic numbers.

4. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

At 147/148, we usually suggest you don't shoot anything until you have more data and experience. Cats tolerate high numbers better than humans....it's the low ones that can kill quickly.

Have you read the Beginners guide to Vetsulin?

Critter Mom likes this.
  5. MHHCoach

MHHCoach Member

I did, which I'm thinking I'm going to lean into that more than the vet recommendations.

it just feels like they are taking just the 487 as the true unaffected numbers. but if the tooth had been an issue for a while that's going to throw off the numbers.
    he does act better with .5 -1 u, when at mid 100s or seems so far... but I'm all of 24 hours into testing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.