New sugar baby

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Becky Swift, Feb 15, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Becky Swift

Becky Swift Member

Hi I am Becky. I live in Canada and my fur baby is Dusty an 11 year old blue point Siamese who has just been diagnosed diabetic Feb 13. Thank you for the support.
    I am learning about so many things from different members. Vets should send people home with an info package to save parents stressed and struggling at 4 am.

Critter Mom likes this.
  2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Becky and welcome to you and Dusty..
    Can you tell us a bit about Dusty. When he was diagnosed, what insulin he is on and the dose.
    Are you thinking about home testing? I would recommend you do as it will keep Dusty safe.

Are you feeding a low carb canned diet?

Here is a link to useful information as about the spreadsheet, setting up a hypo kit and setting up your signature
    Click on the link
    https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/new-how-you-can-help-us-help-you.216696/

Also a list of suitable foods
    https://catinfo.org/docs/CatFoodProteinFatCarbPhosphorusChart.pdf

There is lots of other links I can send you but we will start with these so we don’t overwhelm you.
    Ask as many questions as you like, we are happy to answer them.
    Bron

3. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Becky and sugarcat Dusty! Glad to see you over here from the Facebook group!

I sent you a Facebook message so I could help with getting a spreadsheet set up for you so you may need to check your "message requests"

4. Becky Swift

Becky Swift Member

5. Becky Swift

Becky Swift Member

Hi Dusty is 11. Had him weighed in Sept as I thought he was looking a bit skinny. Weight the same as always 7.2 kg.
    He has a tooth needs dental work for bit not emergency. Bought him soft food and kept with his oral care kibble.
    Took him back for weight and he was down to 5.5 kg. Labs done showed elevated sugar. 33.4 (Canada) Feb 13.
    Started insulin Feb 14th at noon. Bought test kit and vet showed sugar test and how to give Caninsulin. Started 2 u twice daily.
    Forum said test before each needle and fast 2 hrs prior.
    I am giving him Friskies pate. Low carb.
    Sugars 29.2624
    Did post test at 2 am and one today 5 hrs post which was 7.6
    Had another lab but no result back yet.
    I have 4 Siamese cats same age. They of course want kibble and wet. It is holiday in Ontario today so no one to ask questions of.
    Thank goodness for this forum

Sta

Critter Mom likes this.
  6. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

This.

Welcome, Becky and Dusty. :)

Mogs

7. Becky Swift

Becky Swift Member

Thank you

Critter Mom likes this.