New to Cabergoline

Discussion in 'Acromegaly / IAA / Cushings Cats' started by Howiesmom, Feb 3, 2021.

1. Howiesmom

Howiesmom Member

I just picked up Howie's Cabergoline prescription from the vet and would love to hear people's tips/experiences in starting out!! I got chicken flavored liquid and he will get .6mL that I plan on giving in the AM. It says to store at room temp, but is it like insulin and it keeps longer in the fridge? How long did it take for you to start seeing any effects? I know diarrhea can be a side effect but is there anything else I should expect? What if he hates the flavor even if its mixed in his food? Anything else I should know? THANKS!!!

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Snuffles has been on it about 1 1/2 months. Not really seeing much effect but insulin increase seemed to have slowed and BGs are lower overall. I have the marshmallow flavor and just add it to his food. I keep it at room temp. I see no need to refrigerate it sine it only lasts 60 days.
    What dose? Snuffles is on 10mcg/Kg.

3. Howiesmom

Howiesmom Member

Thanks for the info! The bottle just says .6mL but my vet and I talked about 10mcg/kg so I’m assuming that is what the .6 mL equates to? He is about 13 lbs. I wanted bacon marshmallow flavor but he ordered the chicken flavor without me knowing. Hopefully it goes well in his pork food. I read that it is bitter, so I hope this isn’t a problem with him. He is very food motivated so maybe won’t know it’s in there!

4. cabreu

cabreu Member

Good luck with it! I hope it will bring Howie's insulin dose down.

Does the bottle say how many micrograms (mcg) per milliliter (ml) it has? This will help you determine how many mcg per 0.6 mL. My solution has 100 mcg/mL, and I give Willow 0.5 mL = 50 mcg (she weighs between 5-6 kg).

I don't think refrigeration is a good idea because it will separate, and you need to shake it each time you use it anyway to mix the particles with the liquid. Also, try not to get it on your hands, and wash your hands after using. Nasty stuff for healthy humans!

5. Howiesmom

Howiesmom Member

My vet put his own clinic label over top of the Wedgewood label as they had prescribed it for 2 doses a day. So it is quite possible that info is on the original label. Thanks for the heads up about washing hands and shaking the bottle!

UPDATE: I just tore my vet’s label partially off and it is 100 mcg/mL.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2021
  6. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

It's ECID on how long until cats see effects. I've seen about a week, to 2-3 months. In case Howie is one of those that responds quickly, I'd try to stay away from a dose that leaves him solid green.

Howiesmom likes this.
  7. Howiesmom

Howiesmom Member

For those whose kitties had diarrhea with it, how long did it last? He got dose #1 this morning and I came home to soft stool in the potty box which I’m sure will be diarrhea tomorrow or Saturday. Any other side effects? He has weepy eyes tonight and is very clingy to me. Trying to figure out side effects or I’m becoming a kittie hypochondriac!

8. Wendy&Neko

GI upset has been the only side effect I've seen. Weepy eyes could be an acro thing - Neko had it too, soft tissue growth blocking the tear ducts.

Howie hasn't spent this much time in green for a long time.

9. Howiesmom

Howiesmom Member

He has never seen green until Inauguration Day! Of course last night he climbed downward even at +3 through +5 so I ended up giving him some HC food mixed in his mini meals. Im a little nervous tonight will be the same. His PMPS was 75. I’m dropping his L dose tomorrow to 42 units as he has spent 6 cycles in mostly greens at 46 units. I know you said it could take up to 6 cycles to drain the depot from the higher dose. Am I wise to sit at 42 units for another 6 cycles in case it’s the same thing? I’m nervous the cabergoline coukd kick in when I haven’t found a good L dose yet that will keep him in some safer zones.

10. Wendy&Neko

I'm glad you are dropping. If you need to, you can drop again after 4 cycles It's much easier to go up in dose if that was too soon, than wait too long at Howie's size of dose.

Howiesmom likes this.
  11. Howiesmom

Howiesmom Member

You are so wise! Thank you!

12. cabreu

cabreu Member

:D

13. Larry and Kitties

My Snuffles occasionally had softer feces but then he had that before starting the cabergoline but seem to be a little more frequent now.

14. Howiesmom

Howiesmom Member

He has definitely started diarrhea today and is lethargic...sleepy kittie all last night and all day/night today. Hopefully this is temporary. He looks like he’s not feeling well. Nothing is different besides starting cabergoline.

15. Howiesmom

Howiesmom Member

Wendy, can you check my SS and see if you recommend a decrease starting tomorrow? He’s has spent time in both blues and greens at 42 units. I’m going to assume yes, but would appreciate some confidence in that decision!

16. Wendy&Neko

As a rule of thumb, after Neko had treatment for her acromegaly, I moved my reduction point to 70 from 50. It gave me a little bit more margin of error. I see you got a 68 today, so yes, I'd reduce and do it tonight. Rather be underdosed than overdosed with cabergoline on board and a large depot. It is possible the larger depot is influencing today, but caution is key at this point.

17. Howiesmom

Howiesmom Member

Thanks for reminding me of that! I will say that I’m appreciating the slowdown on my insulin supply. I just ordered another 15 pens from Marks yesterday and they called to make sure I actually wanted that much! I look forward to the day all his insulin fits in one syringe too!

18. Larry and Kitties

You can use 1/2ml syringes since this hold 50 units and less. You can also get 1 ml syringes ,100 units or less but for those each mark is 2 units.

19. Howiesmom

Howiesmom Member

Thanks! My vet let me know that too after I had just bought a 100 pack of 30 unit syringes. Hopefully I’ll be under 30 units by the time I finish them. Decreasing to 38 units tonight. He shot his lowest level ever (59) at +10.5. Luckily he’s on his way up now (very slowly). I’ll probably give MC food for his dinner since he is so low.