NEW to everything and would love a second opinion...

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by ASHFUR, Feb 24, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ASHFUR

ASHFUR Member

Hi everyone...

My name is Kristi, my cat Ashfur was diagnosed with diabetes on Feb 1st 2021. I need to know if its normal to hold a diabetic cat at a starting dose of lantus insulin (2 units AM / 1.5 units PM) if his BG still is not reaching below 300's for the lowest part of the day? My vet tells me we are looking for "trends" not perfection but high numbers are still harmful to the cat right?

I wish I could post all of the pictures of his freestyle Libre graphs and show you what his curves look like on a daily basis but I could not figure out how to do it. Instead my profile picture is a picture a combined monthly graph showing the curves over the past few weeks. His insulin dose has only been changed once 10 days ago. from 1.5 in the AM to 2.0 in the AM and same 1.5 in the PM.

So my question is should I worry that his nadir isn't falling lower than what it is on his present dosage amount? I personally figured the point of having all this data (from the freestyle Libre) would be to adjust his dose until we get him closer to a healthy cat range. My vet seems to think the numbers look great and he's perfect where he is at? Does the graph look good? It looks super high to me still...

Does this make sense to hold the same dose? Is this a slower process than what I am thinking? I just need a second opinion.

Thanks for Your time and I apologize in advance for the lack of details.

2. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

upload_2021-2-24_15-50-57.png
    I'm surprised his numbers are so consistent in range throughout the day.
    It looks like he has had some numbers in about the 270? range. Were those recently?
    Lantus works best when the same dose is given every 12 hours. We normally recommend doing dose adjustments in 0.25 unit increments. Do you have the syringes with 1/2 unit marks on them?
    Perhaps you could split the difference for awhile and instead of dosing 2 units in the AM and 1.5 in the PM, dose 1.75 units for both 12 hour cycles. Also, be sure he has his main meals at shot times, and small mini meals until the nadir (which is usually around +6 (6 hours after the shot) with Lantus).
    I would suggest reading the yellow Stickies at the top of the Lantus forum. It is a lot of information, we know, so read a little whenever you can and ask questions. We don't mind questions at all.
    Welcome to the board :bighug:, the best place you never wanted to be.

I hope to see a spreadsheet set up in your signature someday, and a picture of your Ashfur in your profile. :cat:

Critter Mom likes this.
  3. ASHFUR

ASHFUR Member

Yes the day he had the BG's in the 270's was on Feb 21st. and Yes I have syringes with 1/5 unit markings.
    He actually HAD one day where His Nadir was 170 I(it isnt showing on the accumulated picture for some reason) and it was following a night that he missed a dose. He refused to eat one night and I didnt know what to do so I skipped his shot. The next morning he ate like normal and I gave him his 2 unit dose and his graph was the best it had ever looked. I was curious as to maybe the dose was stronger since the last one was skipped? Or maybe it was just coincidence? I dont know. I just would like to see more of those days.

I will start dosing him same in the evening and morning. I could split it like you said 1.75 in AM/PM and if the curves continue to be high when do I consider an increase? I was reading that you pause for a week and see how it goes. My vet has him paused indefinitely. That is where I am getting confused....

4. FelixMomRachael

FelixMomRachael Member

Not eating would have meant a lower blood sugar over night and into the next day until he ate. I know, it's a balancing act. Going slowly down prevents bouncing where kitty's body overreacts to a lower than normal sugar level and dumps sugar from anywhere possible to prevent injury.

5. ASHFUR

ASHFUR Member

Yes that makes total sense.

6. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

7. ASHFUR

ASHFUR Member

Thank you for that link. Ill give it a try tonight after work. I have so much stress about this kitty its all I think about!

8. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hang in there....it will get much easier!:bighug:

Critter Mom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.