? New To Group - Lots of Questions

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Haylee and Micky, Jul 21, 2021.

1. Haylee and Micky

Haylee and Micky New Member

Hello everyone!

I'm going to include as much detail as I can in this post, so I apologize for it's length. I want to encompass as much information/questions as I can in one go.

My sugar kitty is Micky. I made an intro post for us in the Welcome Forum, I believe, but some quick info about him!

He is almost 11 years old, and was diagnosed on May 30th. It was a rough thing to accept at first, but much better than I thought I was going to hear.

He (and his non-diabetic 'brother') is eating Weruva Brands Wet Pates (usually the Press Your Lunch chicken flavor or the Meal or No Deal chicken and beef) and Dave's Turkey Flavor. I have been steering away from regularly feeding flavors including salmon or shrimp, because I think I saw that those flavors can be harder for their (already overworked!) kidneys to process. So fishy flavors are a special treat!

Micky is on 6 U of Prozinc a day (3 U am, 3 U pm), but we are working on a glucose curve today, and I am thinking of telling the vet that I want to try him at 2.5 U, as his numbers are quite a lot lower today than the last time.

Which brings me to my first question/concern: Micky's numbers were in the low 80s this morning and (I think against my better judgement) I gave him his shot, which makes me fear he will continue to drop today. His next test is within the half hour, so I'll be watching his numbers as well as him. But in the event that his numbers get too low, what should I do?

I test currently with an AlphaTrak 2, as that's what the vet recommended before I put some research into it. She did mention to me last curve that numbers below 100 are concerning, so 80 is kind of scaring me.

As I mentioned above, I think Micky needs to be somewhere within the 2-2.75 U range per shot, as last curve we did he was still in the 400s, and now he's down to low low 100s. What do you think?

My vet is a pretty good lady from what I can tell, and there is a plethora of information within the Message Board walls, so I finally have faith that Micky is going to balance out one of these days.

-Haylee

2. Shelley & Jess

Shelley & Jess Member

I recommend sticking to just the one thread that you started in Feline Health (Welcome & Main) until you get sorted out.
    Introductory Post for Micky and I

I'm going to copy and paste part of your post there that's concerning and tag a couple of members to get more eyes on it. I won't be around to help this morning.

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  3. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Tagging @JanetNJ

@Panic

Haylee it would be help if you would set up our spreadsheet so you can track his BG and see how the insulin is working
    I will give you the link and it will also explain how the SS works

If you have trouble setting it up , we have someone who will do it for you take a look at other members spreadsheet to see what it looks like , at the end of everyone's list you will see the link to their spreadsheet

https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/spreadsheets-tech-support-testing-area.6/