New to Prozinc help with dosage conversion

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by mdmelvin1128, Feb 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mdmelvin1128

mdmelvin1128 Member

Hey guys, my cat was diagnosed early last month, and has just recently been put on Prozinc. He just got home from the vet today, and according to them he has been doing really well on this insulin. My issue is that they have me giving it to him in a regular syringe. http://www.medi-vet.com/prod-Syringe_1c ... -2833.aspx . i went to the Prozinc website and they say to use a U40 syringe, which I have. I don't like the regular syringes, they are too big, and they hurt. I would rather use the U40 syringes, or even U100, I have both. I'm not sure why they started using the regular ines, and I plan to call and ask tomorrow. I was wondering if anyone knew how to convert the dosage between the different syringes. They have him on .25 in the regular syringe, I need to know what that would be in a U40. Also, when I got him home, I noticed that he has neuropathy in his hind legs. I've read about the methyl B-12's, and was wondering where I would get that to give to him.

2. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

ok, real quick. please don't give any insulin right now ok, until we get this syringe thing figured out. tuburculin syringes are often seen when cats are overdosed by accident so i'm gonna get someone that knows syringes well ok. wait for me(us) and then we'll figure this out

3. mdmelvin1128

mdmelvin1128 Member

I don't have to shoot again until in the morning, so there's no real hurry. I'm so upset with this vet, but they allow me to pay them out instead of all up front, and right now I really have no other choice.

4. LynnLee + Mousie

good. i'm looking but it seems most have gone to bed already.

5. LynnLee + Mousie

6. Susie and Moochie

Susie and Moochie Member

O M G!!!

I'm sorry to be dramatic but I am shocked that they gave you TB syringes to use.

The dose - if my math is correct, and I believe it is - is really high. Let me find a TB syringe and I'll be right back

7. mdmelvin1128

mdmelvin1128 Member

Oh my gosh, I'm sorry, it's .025 that they have him on, not .25, that would be a lot.

8. Susie and Moochie

Susie and Moochie Member

Okay, breathing again

Alright. 0.25cc is what they vet prescribed it sounds like. 1cc = 100 U100 units or 40 U40 units. :shock:

What that means if I'm reading right is that the vet told you to shoot 10 U40 units or 25 U100 units! Please do not give that much insulin. There are some cats here with other conditions who get that much insulin but that is a scary, scary dose for most.

My suggestion is that you decide whether to use the U40s or the U100s and use only one of those types. If you choose the U40 I wouldn't shoot more than 1U to start. If you choose the U100s that would measure to the 2.5U mark.

9. Susie and Moochie

Susie and Moochie Member

Re: New to Prozinc help with dosage conversion(ETA)

WHEW!!!!!

Okay - that's MUCH better! That actually IS 1 U40 unit or 2.5 U100 units

ETA - and that's exactly why TB syringes don't get used for insulin :mrgreen:

10. LynnLee + Mousie

wow! i'm refreshing my memory while waiting and wow! you've had 4 insulins in two weeks? i understand the R to vetsulin and then to lantus thing but why did he get switched from lantus to prozinc?? the lantus didn't even get a chance to work. well, on to what you've got now.

we might not have to wait for anyone about this in all honesty :)

given that he's so new to this still and hasn't been on any one insulin long enough to do much, i'd go with the u100 syringes as they are easiest to give small doses with and easier on the eyes for many and i'd start with 1/2 or 1 unit twice a day.

if i remember correctly prozinc is a u40 insulin but you can use the u100 syringes. kitty will be happier you do too. you just have to do a conversion. the conversion is 2.5 times. so 1 unit of u40 would be drawn to the 2.5 mark on the u100 syringe. do you understand syringes well as far as how much each line is?

11. mdmelvin1128

mdmelvin1128 Member

Yes, I understand the syringes, and the conversion between the U40 and U100. I've concluded that my vet is incompetent, at least when it comes to diabetes, thank God I have you guys to ask questions. So, the conversion would be 1 unit in the U40 syringe, or 2.5 units in the U100 syringe. That is good to know for the morning shot.

12. LynnLee + Mousie

13. Susie and Moochie

Susie and Moochie Member

my brain stopped doing that too most days which is why I had to actually look at a TB syringe :lol:

And yes, you have the U40/U100 conversion right :D

Just one point though. If you use the U100s with a U40 insulin please make sure you still refer to the 2.5 as 1 unit here when you post because otherwise it gets really confusing for some of us (me). :mrgreen:

14. WCF and Meowzi

WCF and Meowzi Well-Known Member

but how did they expect you to measure 0.025 cc on a tuberculin syringe? i just pulled up one to have a look, and the line between 0.02 and 0.03 is really close. i'm not sure even someone with very good eyesight and a steady hand can consistently, if even at all, draw up 0.025 on a tuberculin syringe.

confused_cat

15. Terri and Lucy

Terri and Lucy Member

Looking at your spreadsheet, I wouldn't drop the dose to 1.0 unit. He's not doing too badly on the roughly 2.5 units he's getting so why start over from scratch? I would drop the dose to 2.0 units (2 in U-40, 5 in u-100).

Do your U-100s have 1/2 unit markings?

16. LynnLee + Mousie

wait, Terri, he's not getting 2.5 units according to Susie's math, he's actually already only getting 1 unit, just in the wrong syringe up until last night

17. Terri and Lucy

Terri and Lucy Member

From everything I've read there is no direct conversion between insulin units and ml/cc because any conversion would be based on the total volume within a syringe. So you'd get a different equivalency for a 100 ml syringe than a 30 ml syringe.

So I will take back my recommendation to start at 2 units and agree with starting at 1 unit in an insulin syringe. However, I do think you will need to be prepared to up the dose every 2 days (4 shots) until you get to something close (but better) than what your current spreadsheet is showing.

18. LynnLee + Mousie

it will be interesting to see what happens over the next few days. i myself wouldn't worry too much about the spreadsheet data to this point simply because no one insulin has been given a fair chance yet. test and record your data and let's see what prozinc does for you. several people are reporting that they are using more prozinc than their old pzi though so something to keep in mind as you go forward

19. Susie and Moochie

Susie and Moochie Member

This is now a bit OT but I am still baffled that a milliliter, which is a volume measurement, can be one amount/volume level in one syringe and yet another, different volume in a different syringe.

I will admit I was never good at metric measurements but I was under the impression that it there was a scientific standard.

I could be wrong.

20. Terri and Lucy

Terri and Lucy Member

A milliliter (ml) is never different from one syringe to another. The volume of an insulin unit is what is different. There is no volumetric standard for an insulin unit. That's why the volume of 1 unit in a U-40 syringe is different from the volume of 1 unit in a U-100 syringe. The concentration of the insulin crystals may be more standardized, but the volume of liquid used to create the insulin varies.

21. Janet & Binky (GA)

Janet & Binky (GA) Senior Member Staff Member Moderator

No, actually, the size of the syringe doesn't matter. The only factor to consider is the markings on the syringe, which depend on whether the syringe is designed for use with a U-100 insulin or a U-40 insulin.

A U-100 insulin contains 100 units of insulin in 1 ml of fluid. So .01 ml of a U-100 insulin = 1 unit of insulin.

A U-40 insulin contains 40 units of insulin in 1 ml of fluid. So .01 ml of a U-40 insulin = 0.4 units of insulin, and 0.025 ml of a U-40 insulin contains 1 unit of insulin.

Consequently, a U-100 insulin syringe has 1 unit marked at the 0.01 ml point, and a U-40 insulin syringe has 1 unit marked at the 0.025 ml point. (A TB syringe is a different beast, and prescribing it for insulin is the sign of a vet who has very little education or experience with diabetes.)

-- Janet

22. Terri and Lucy

Terri and Lucy Member

I will simply say that this is a long-standing difference in interpretation. My information, that there is no volumetric standard for an insulin unit, came from the chief pharmacist at the North Carolina State Veterinary School. The measurement standard is in the number of crystals (dry measure); the volume can vary--thus the U-40, U-20, etc.

Varying interpretations, some of which agreed with Janet's interpretation, were provided by the pharmacists at BCP, Hocks, and two local veterinarians. If pharmacists and professional vets can't agree on this conversion, I think it's probably a good indicator that we shouldn't accept anything as fact.

23. mdmelvin1128

mdmelvin1128 Member

Well, that is what I gave him this morning, 1U. He is doing ok, I've tested a couple of times today, and updated his spreadsheet.

24. Janet & Binky (GA)

Janet & Binky (GA) Senior Member Staff Member Moderator

This is correct.

Well, here I disagree. What is fact is that there are people who can't handle numbers. What is also fact is that there is continued confusion of the issue when people refer to "unit" as a measure of volume rather than a measure of insulin crystals. But what I wrote is not a matter of opinion -- either my facts are correct or they aren't, and if they aren't it's because I mistyped. How to measure insulin isn't a matter of opinion. It's basic science -- no wait, it's not even science. It's basic cookbook stuff.

I'd like to propose that we invent a name for the volume ".01 milliliters", which is equivalent to ".01 cc" and "10 microliters". This is the volume of fluid that contains 1 unit of U-100 insulin, 0.4 units of U-40 insulin, 0.25 units of U-25 insulin, and so forth. My personal idea is that this volume should be called an "austin" after the FDMB mascot, but we can discuss this on Think Tank. Then we can avoid use of the term "unit" for a volume.

-- Janet

25. LynnLee + Mousie

purr-fect Mandy :smile:

btw, did i ever mention that I can't help but think i'm looking at my Mousie when i look at Tigger's picture. :D

26. Susie and Moochie

Susie and Moochie Member

he really does look like Mousie :)

This will be so much easier for you both with the right syringes - nice! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.