Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

Good morning! I have taken Baby & Sadi to the same vet since they were kittens (they will both be 9 in a few months)
    I have always felt they were in good hands there, I really have. However, the fact that Baby was DX with Diabetes & they did not call to check on us...AND that she was at the ER Vet after an OD & they knew.. but did not call to check on us....leaves me craving a more compassionate Vet office.
    I have no idea how to "shop" for a Vet.. except I do want one that is close to me (to minimize the car stress)
    Thankfully, that gives me about 4 or 5 within 2-3 miles. Any ideas on how to introduce myself, specific questions, etc?

2. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

Hi Nicole

when I had to shop for a new vet - I made a "consult" appointment just me and her, for which I gladly paid the fee of a regular check up visit.

Basically, I sat down with new vet and explained the problems with last vet, explained what I've learned about FD from this board, and explained to her that I want to treat my cat with this type of diet, this dose and would really like her support and services should I need them.
    She was very willing to do this as long as I kept her posted with the progress.

Just one of the ways you could approach it , by arranging a consult, just u and the vet. Or u could do the consult while new vet does their own exam of Baby.

3. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

Great suggestion, Ronnie. I think I will do the consult with Vet & I only...
    Letting them know the education that I have received from FDMB.
    Thankfully my current Vet lets me treat Baby how I want (meaning, they called in the Lantus - even though they did not think she needed the Insulin)
    Anyway.. I will shop around & see what we come up with.

I forgot to mention even at the ER Vet the other night - in the middle of Hypo. one of the Techs tried pushing dry food on me, claiming.. her teeth would get bad.. I politly said, this is not the time or place & I have made a decision regarding food & am not looking for advice. Thank you...... geez. Baby does have nice teeth, but if something happens..we will cross that bridge then. Sadi has always been on canned.. but does need her teeth cleaned.

4. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

What I did was spend some time on the phone calling the local vets. I asked on the phone, what their protocol is for treating diabetic cats. When they all said, you must do x,y,z, I said thank you and moved on.

The one I chose, the receptionist told me that they are 10 vets in the office and while yes they follow x,y,z practice, they will work with you if you have a different protocol to use.

I made an appointment, took Maui's records and Maui and spent 30 minutes talking with vet about the issues that occurred at former vet and what my needs and expectations were.

The vet listened, answered my questions and didn't feel threatened by it at all. Then the vet said, ok, what do you need from me at this point. Then we moved forward with exam, scripts, lessons, etc.

I think Ronnie has a great idea too. My situation, I didn't have time to consult and then make appoint, so I did it all together.

good luck and let us know how it goes.

5. kate and lucky

kate and lucky Member

Good luckwith the vet finding :smile:

Until I came to FDMB I had never heard of a cat having a dental!
    Your right about the dry food. Iasked Jojo in our early days and she said it was a myth that dry foosdlooked after them.

Saying that, Lucky never had a dental in 16 years! It does seem to be recommended once a year and particularly for FD kitties as can make a difference to their Bg's.
    I think their the same as humans-you either have good genes or not so good, thus nice or not so nice and healthy teeth.

6. Victoria & Sundance

Victoria & Sundance Member

There's been a little discussion on Think Tank The Vets' Office - What should and shouldn't we expect?. You might want to read through that if you have time to get some ideas of what is important to you. Gia made a good post about how she found a new vet.

You might also want to talk to your current vet and let them know how you feel. They might have a reason for their behavior. It's worth a shot anyway... you either mend the hurt feelings and maintain a stronger relationship or you move on knowing that you might have taught them something.

Good luck.

7. Lisa and Merlyn (GA)

Lisa and Merlyn (GA) Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.