New Vetsulin user, starting 2nd day

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by Pjmuellner, Aug 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pjmuellner

Pjmuellner New Member

I'm planning to give Penny her dinner and her nighttime 2 unit Vetsulin. Last night she got her first dose, this is very new. I'm doing better at testing her but her ears look like she has measles. I'm working tomorrow and won't be able to test as often (but I will be home for lunch). She seemed a little quiet today but maybe she was avoiding me because of the testing.

Should I have any reservations giving her another 2 units with her dinner tonight?

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

It's hard to know if 2 units is too high a starting dose or not. You'll need more data. Give the same 2 u dose tonight and make a point of testing at +2 because this test often forecasts what the cycle will be like. If the +2 number is quite a bit lower it can mean that the BG will be dropping significantly and more testing will be needed to see what's happening.

As you get more data on her responses you won't have to test as much.

Pjmuellner likes this.
  3. Pjmuellner

Pjmuellner New Member

I am so grateful for your (and other) responses. I'm unsettled with this but I would be freaking out without the positive affirmation and sharing of experiences. Thank you.

4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

It looks like for now the 2 units is ok. For her sore ears you can put a little bit of neosporin ointment with pain relief on them. Also the closer you aim for the edge of the ear the less it hurts. IMG_3612.JPG

AlphaCat likes this.
  5. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

You're welcome! I also responded to your thread on the main health forum. This is all very stressful at the beginning but it will get better and we're always here to help. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.