New vial potency question

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by Jenna & Kitsu (GA), Jul 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jenna & Kitsu (GA)

Jenna & Kitsu (GA) Member

Hey all,

Kitsu has been using the same vial of Vetsulin since she was diagnosed back in February. I've been fortunate that her dosing has been so low and that she doesn't need a lot of insulin each day, so that it was able to last this long. However, we are nearing the end of her vial and I don't want to run out before I move abroad, so I decided to get a new vial ordered in from the vet and will be picking it up on Wednesday. I don't plan to start using the new vial until July 24th, since I will have family in town visiting and I won't be home to test Kitsu throughout the day to see how she's reacting to the new vial. So she will still be using the old vial until then. My question is, should I reduce her dosing a little bit when I start using the new vial, or keep her current dosing the same and just heavily monitor her?

Thanks in advance!

2. Jenna & Kitsu (GA)

Bumping this up as I haven't had a reply yet. I've been stretching her first vial, but want to start using the new vial soon, since that one will be the one that goes with me overseas when we move. So I'll ask again: Should I be concerned with the potency of a new vial of Vetsulin and reduce her dose on the first shot, or just give her the normal dose as if nothing changed?

3. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Sorry you didn't get a response. I suggest you try keeping the usual dose but monitor. We all pay closer attention when we start a new vial of insulin.

4. Jenna & Kitsu (GA)

No worries, Kris, and thank you for the reply! I started her on the new vial this morning, but gave her 0.25 unit less than usual only because her BG was lower than it usually is at AMPS. I’ll check it again in a few hours and see how she’s doing. Thanks again for your help :bighug:

Kris & Teasel likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.