Newbie & prescribed Novolin N

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by Carribou, Jan 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carribou

Carribou New Member

Hello! My 9.5 year old cat Ollie was diagnosed on January 3, 2011. Her blood glucose level at the vets was 562. She was demonstrating what I now know is peripheral neuropathy. Everything else was in the normal range. The vet prescribed 3 units of Novolin N twice a day and told me to come back in a week.

After getting my knowledge on here, I am now scared to death ;)

I have ordered a blood glucose monitor but it has not arrived. Her appetite has decreased terribly, so I have been bribing her with canned food. She is eating a lot more canned food now and a lot less dry. Her peripheral neuropathy has gotten markedly better over the past week. She pees twice a day, which is less than it had been.

We go back to the vet tomorrow for blood tests, and I need some advice on what to say. Clearly he should have prescribed a slower acting insulin. Can she switch over now or is there some..process to it?

2. Pam and Layla

Pam and Layla Member

Hi and welcome to the fdmb.

I used N in the beginning with my cat. That's a large dose to shoot without knowing Ollie's glucose numbers.

I might suggest you ask your vet to give you RX for a better insulin for your cat - Lantus (Glargine). Take some links in for him to read and research if he isn't familiar with the insulin.

Here are some links:
    http://www.uq.edu.au/ccah/docs/diabetesinfo/link4.pdf

http://www.tillydiabetes.net/en_index.htm

The reason I would urge you to get on a better insulin is that newly diagnosed cats often have a better chance for remission.

If you decide to continue with the N insulin, then discuss starting at a smaller dose - maybe half or one unit BID.

There is to magical transistion between insulins. When you get the Lantus (or Levemir) just give it at the next time Ollie is due for a shot.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Best,
    Pam & Layla

3. Sweetgrass & the Furries

Sweetgrass & the Furries Member

Welcome. I absolutely agree with Pam. Please take the info and try for a different insulin. N is notoriously hard to work with, and that is a whopping starting dose.
    Glad you will be home testing. Perhaps consider cutting dose in half and testing daily for ketones...especially in light if a diet change which will lower carbs, while you wait to switch insulins.

4. Carribou

Carribou New Member

Ollie and I just got back from the vet,and her glucose level was 171..this is 8 hours after her morning Novolin N shot and 4 hours before her evening. The vet said he didn't have any better luck with Lantus, so I guess we're staying on Novolin N for now. I will be glad to have the ability to test her myself.

5. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

I'm not certain why your vet hasn't had luck with lantus as it is a WAYYY better insulin than N! But if you are testing you will soon be able to show him how the N is working...

Jen

6. susan k rupel

susan k rupel Member

hi there my name is susan rupel and my 14 yr old feline has diabetes and she is taking 5 units twice a day and she stays in the high range all the time.she is taking novolin n.

7. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.