Newbie with a ProZinc question

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by stopigirl, Jun 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stopigirl

stopigirl New Member

Hi all,

My kitty Alexander is 13 and just DX 2 weeks ago. He is cur on 1 unit prozinc 2 x's a day and doing well with it. My question to you, which i am sure has been asked pleny of times, is.... I accidentaly left the bottle of prozinc in it's box, on the counter all day. It is the only bottle I have. He now needs his second dose and the vet isn't open until the am. Has anyone used prozinc after it has been left out all day?

thank you in advance....

Jo

Owned by Alexander L. Rasputin (13) and Mindy Sagwa Kobiashi (5)

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Yes Jo, we've all done that at one time or another...it's safe, I mean it was'nt sitting in the sun or anything was it?

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Are you hometesting Jo?
    Lori

4. stopigirl

stopigirl New Member

Hi Lori,

Thanks, No we are not home testing yet. I'm kinda freaked out by it. He was DX a week and half ago and has changed so much. walking better, drinking less, bright eyed starting to jump on things again.

I left it in the box on the counter. not in sunlight. it was warm when i got home. mixed right up no clumps or streaks.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

would you mind learning to home test...it really is the only way to regulate your cat and potentially save his life if he goes into remission and your not aware of it...and shooting him.
    it's really easy and everyone here does it...i can't stress how important it is.

6. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

7. stopigirl

stopigirl New Member

I would love to learn. I am working with his Vet to get him on track. it's on my list of questions to go over with her. especially since the last time he stayed her he was low because he refused to eat. he makes a liar out of me. at home he is more active, running, playing with his toy mice or balls, no vomit, fur looks good. he goes to the vet and it looks like he has been through a car wash, fur all mangled, refuses to eat (even if I bring food to her) vomits. all lethargic.

he gets home, i can't get the door on the carrier open fast enough he wants food. i think testing at home is what he will really need. I'm used to it. my DH is a diabetic. it's just pricking the cat... I hate hearing him cry.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Jo it's really hard to get an accurate read on your cat at the vets office, not to mention expensive. we can show you how to do it yourself at home, walk you thru everything you need to know and you can see the difference it makes...sorry to say most folks here know more about treating feline diabetes than most vets. the post above mine i believe has a link to home testing. check it out, so will I.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

thanks hope, jo there are actually alot of video's on that link that will show you actual members of our group here doing hometesting. check out a few of them. they are great.

10. Donna & Buddha

Donna & Buddha Member

Hi Jo! Testing your kitty's blood sugar at home is no big deal. He won't cry. He doesn't when you give him his insulin shot, right? Many cats, not right at the beginning, but after a few days, will come to look forward to getting tested because they get extra attention and often treats. No, he won't like the actual ear poke, and it will probably take you a while before you get good at it, but keep at it, and you will both realize that it's no big deal.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I swear Jo, most if not all cats grow to love the ritual. it's like you get out your tester and they come running over and assume the position. it's really true. i just did my evening pokie and shot in under 60 seconds.

12. stopigirl

stopigirl New Member

thanks, we are going to check out the vids and talk it over. when i open the fridge or pull out a needle he comes running and stands in front of me. and it's only been a week and a half. I just know he knows that those shots are good for him. i'm sure he'll learn the position. when we start testing. he's pretty smart. we can't fool him with the laser pointer anymore. he learned where it comes from.

of course right now he's begging my DH for food. which i am sure at 4:30 and 6:30 am there will be more begging. Have any of you found a wet food that satisfies? The kitties like the meow mix but it's pretty expensive for such a small can. and we wind up using 2 or 3 at a time for feeding. Friskies seems to hold him over a little longer.

thanks for all your advice. there is a lot here to take in. i'm sure i'll have more questions

Attached Files:

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Jo you need to get a copy of janet and binky's food chart, it will list every canned food in creation and it's carb count. you will just feed the can's with 10 carbs or less. i prefer 7 carbs or less.
    feed you baby as much as you need to right now as he is starving becuase the diabetes does'nt allow for proper consumption of food. thus the excessive thirst and hunger.
    most of us use fancy feast.
    but the other brands are ok too.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

how many kitties do you have?

15. FurballLover

FurballLover Member

Hello Jo, and welcome!

Like your Alexander, my Charlie wouldn't eat at the vet's (even though he's a big piggy with food). Back when he was diagnosed last fall; I took him in for a curve. Unfortunately, at the time I didn't know about hometesting and thus, we had him on the wrong dose. It wasn't until he had a severe hypo in January that we joined the wonderful fdmb community and finally started his hometesting. That, combined with a low carb diet had him in remission in under a week.

Whenever Charlie sees me get his testing kit ready, he jumps right up to his 'testing spot' and starts purring. He doesn't even get a treat, just lots of luvin!
    In my experience, testing is much easier than getting them used to the injections.

I see others have answered your questions about leaving prozinc out. If you don't mind I would like to ask what you are feeding? Diet is the other very important half of the diabetes equation (just like with humans).

Here is a link to all kinds of great info:

FAQ-Newcomers Info

OK, after I posted, saw your answer to food question. Here's a link to J&B food charts:

http://binkyspage.tripod.com/canfood.html

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

thanks jen, i was trying to get a link to J and B's food chart. :mrgreen:

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I just opened your pic of alexander, what a handsome boy he is. really a cutie pie.

18. FurballLover

FurballLover Member

Lori,
    Its one of my go-to bookmarks! Still trying to find a variety for the kitties that both walmart and petsmart carry on a regular basis. Of course, there are plenty of flavors they stick their noses up at, urrrgggghhh.

He is a beautie!! I just want to reach in and scratch his chin!

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

jen have you been getting the 30 cent cans of FF at walmart...i've bought about 200 of them. :lol: of course tomtom is a hoover and will inhale anything put in front of him all while loudly purring as if he's never eaten before :roll:

20. FurballLover

FurballLover Member

Oh yeah--my laundry room is stuffed to the gills!! They like the chicken. Turkey-maybe 2x a week, and the orange label one, cant remember if its a beef or what. But they have their days that all they want is friskies. Little buggers know I will do whatever they want!

21. stopigirl

stopigirl New Member

I just had a whole post and it i have no clue where it went....

thanks for the compliments, I'll give him an extra scratch.

there is so much info. Thanks for the food chart. that is really going to help! my head is spinning!

I have 2 kitties. al (alexander, big al, allie allie allie, ace, big a) he's 13 and Mindy(mindy moo, mooie, minerva, super moo, gray, blue) she's 5.

I know i am going to have more questions or concerns. it seems i found a great place. thank you all. good night for now.

22. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

of course we will, they are so good at training us :lol:
    tomtom likes me to carry him to bed after we watch tv in the living room at night.
    he gets mad at me if i just leave him there and won't come to bed for an hour.
    i literally tuck him in ohmygod_smile

23. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

'night jo, see you again soon.

24. stopigirl

stopigirl New Member

lori, your tom sounds like my al... as long as it came out of a can. he'll eat it. mindy is a bit more upity about what flavors she eats

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.