Newly adopted kitty. Switching from vetsuilin to Lantus. My other diabetic is DX 5 years on Lantus

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Julie Ireland, Feb 20, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Julie Ireland

Julie Ireland New Member

New Kitty adopted from friends today. 5 yr old spayed female. She's 16# on vetsuilin x 2 weeks. Just tested her on alpha track got 79. Said dose was given about 7:30 2 units. And fed Friskies pate. Gave gravy food and came up to 99 now. Will continue to monitor. Im out 8f alpha track strips so used the relion and got 66. Gave a little more gravy food. She isn't eating so used syringe. My other cat is DX 5 years on Lantus so want them on same. Advice on switching her over. She is just chilling on the chair for last hour.

Critter Mom likes this.
  2. Julie Ireland

Julie Ireland New Member

83 now on relion so moving in the right direction!

3. Summer and Susie (GA)

Summer and Susie (GA) Well-Known Member

Sounds like you did the right thing, Julie, but I am not one of the pros on this site. 2 units sounds like a lot to me. My cat has been on Vetsulin since December. Mostly between 1 and 1.25 units. Her numbers run from around mid 100's, lot of 200's and 300's during AMPS and PMPS (preshot). Maybe the experts will say to cut back the dosage a bit. I think on Vetsulin you should become concerned when the glucose drops below 90. Hopefully, you will hear back from one the pros very soon. I will be switching to Lantus in about a week. Have you created a spreadsheet yet? You will need to do that. Don't forget that if your kitty test at 200 or lower, in her preshot test, then you need to "stall" from feeding and giving the shot. Test again in about 20 to 30 minutes to see if her glucose has risen above 200 then you can probably feed and give the shot but at a lower dose than 2 units. There is much to read on this site. Good luck.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2021
    Critter Mom likes this.
  4. Julie Ireland

Julie Ireland New Member

Back down to 66 again gave 5cc of maple syrup continuing to monitor closely . Sounds like she could have been having serious hypos. They borrowed my meter but brought i back Wednesday. I think she.said her +5-+6 were around 76 . Obviously no more insulin till she starts eating? Right now she isn't eating i have syringed her some gravy and the syrup...

5. Summer and Susie (GA)

@Marje and Gracie, @Panic, @JanetNJ - can someone advise Julie?

6. Summer and Susie (GA)

I would not give her anymore insulin until she starts eating. I am trying to get you some help.

Critter Mom likes this.
  7. Summer and Susie (GA)

@FrostD, can you help this woman?

8. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Hi there - I'm actually in the hospital, had a baby yesterday. So I can't follow this as closely as I'd like to.

What is the current dose?

When is the next shot time?

Any history of ketones or DKA?

Completely low carb diet?

I probably cannot check back, so some guidance:
    - Skip the shot if the preshot test tonight is below 200. Same with the morning shot.
    - If tonights preshot is between 200 and 300, give half the usual dose (they're usually more sensitive after hypos, and I'm guessing she was borderline today).
    - Going forward (starting tonight if preshot above 300) reduce the dose by 0.25 units (0.5 units if you can't monitor closely). If AM preshot above 200 I'd give this dose.
    - Test for ketones, especially if there's a history of them

Others may have slightly different advice, I'm just going on the cautious side since I don't think I check back in

Summer and Susie (GA) likes this.
  9. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Ohhhhh! Congratulations, Melissa! :woot: What are you doing here?! You need to look after yourself and your brand new bairn. :)

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Mogs

10. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Trying to stay awake of course! And thank you! :D

11. Critter Mom

Hi Julie,

Reviewing the thread now. Can you let us know ASAP how many hours ago you gave the most recent dose of insulin? (Need to know this to judge how strongly the insulin is working at the moment.)

Am actively monitoring here for updates from you.

Mogs

12. Critter Mom

SITREP ---------------------------------------------------------

07:30 Julie's local time - 2.0IU Vetsulin (2 weeks on this dose) - Fed Friskies paté

Posted at 17:40 GMT
    +??.?? - 79 (pet) - gravy food
    +??.?? - 99 (pet) | 66 (human) - gravy food

Posted at 17:50 GMT
    +??.?? - 83 (human)

Posted at 20:00 GMT
    +??.?? - 66 (human) - 5ml maple syrup + gravy via syringe

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Mogs

13. Summer and Susie (GA)

God bless you and Mogs for getting back with her. Congratulations on your new baby! I thinks Mogs has this covered now. Take care and rest!

FrostD and Critter Mom like this.
  14. Summer and Susie (GA)

Thank you so much. I was getting a little worried about her kitty.

Critter Mom likes this.
  15. Critter Mom

16. Summer and Susie (GA)

Thank you. I just hope we hear back from her soon!

Critter Mom likes this.
  17. Critter Mom

I'd say that Julie's doing OK. She has several years of experience as a feline diabetic caregiver and she was doing all the right things earlier to manage the low run. :)

I hope her kitty gets her appetite back quickly.

Mogs

18. Summer and Susie (GA)

Thanks for letting me know this. I was unaware and very concerned. Maybe I can sleep tonight without worrying about her kitty - and Julie.

Critter Mom likes this.
  19. Julie Ireland

Julie Ireland New Member

Sorry kitty had 84 last check. Licked some.food from my finger. No shot tonight. Will keep checking. Every couple hours but I think we have a possible remission. She hasnt been over 92 all day. Her mom dropped her off about 10 this morning and said she ate and had her 2 units at 7:30. No more insulin unless she goes over 200. And starts eating on her own. She's just scared Im.sure. will keep posting her progress.

20. Julie Ireland

Julie Ireland New Member

Shes at 68 now. Going to see if it drops any farther. If she holds steady. Maybe thats her normal? My non diabetic cat is 72.

21. Summer and Susie (GA)

The glucose sounds good if it is normal for her but it is her not eating that concerns me. I think you are right not to administer the insulin until she starts eating well and if her numbers go up after that. Keep checking her and let us know how it goes. We have Mogs onboard now and she knows her stuff.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
  22. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

What was she eating before you adopted her? If it was a different food, that may be part of the issue. She may not like the Friskies or her stomach may be upset with the food change.

Also if she was on a high carb food such as dry, that may have also contributed to the lower glucose readings.

If her readings get back up high enough to shoot, I suggest switching to the Lantus but starting low with 1/2 to 1 unit depending on her BG.

23. Critter Mom

24. Julie Ireland

Julie Ireland New Member

She's been under 70 all day. 56-64 I syringed her 60cc and she ate some on her own. I tried tuna. And beef. Holding insulin. Last dose was 7:30 am yesterday.

Critter Mom likes this.
  25. Julie Ireland

Julie Ireland New Member

Her mom is coming back tonight and may take her home. She might eat better at home. Ill send some Lantus with her and one of my meters. if she is not diabetic then she can be maintain ed on low carb and be with her 2.little girls that miss her.

Critter Mom likes this.
  26. Critter Mom

Be great if she's in remission. Fingers and paws crossed...

Mogs

27. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

If the mom does not home test make sure she knows not to give insulin yet if she is on a low carb diet. She needs to test to make sure it is safe to give the dose.

Critter Mom likes this.
  28. Julie Ireland

Julie Ireland New Member

Went home.with her mom. Packed her up with some food a meter and a pen of Lantus and said dont shoot without calling me. Test her a few times a day ill see her at work . Lucy was very lucky....

29. Julie Ireland

Julie Ireland New Member

Sent meter home with her shes a nurse she will be more careful now.

30. Julie Ireland

Julie Ireland New Member

Lucy was 72 this morning. Day 2 off the juice! Yeah Lucy!

31. Critter Mom

Great news! Go Lucy. :cat:

Mogs

32. Summer and Susie (GA)

That is terrific news, Julie. Is she eating?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.