Newly diagnosed diabetic

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Cpatt, Apr 17, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cpatt

Cpatt Member

Hello all! Just want to say thank you for everything that you do. I was doing research on feline diabetics due to our newly diagnosed diabetic cat appropriately named "Dude" and I ran across this place. We are three weeks in and seemingly more confused the more we read. We are doing home testing with Alphatrac2, have gotten both cats off of dry food completely, other cats name is Willie. Vet prescribed Vetsulin. Anyways, I've got a ton more questions but will wait until we run a curve spreadsheet to ask. I have been doing alot of reading on the site about they way vetsulin works and that answered alot of questions I had. Again, thank you!!

2. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Welcome to FDMB.

One consideration... Vetsulin is not recommended for treating feline diabetes. The American Animal Hospital Assn guidelines (click on the link) recommends either Prozinc or Lantus. Vetsulin was developed for treating diabetic dogs and dogs have a longer metabolism than cats. Vetsulin, while dosed twice a day, does not provide enough duration to last 12 hours. It can also drop blood glucose numbers hard and fast.

It's great that you have changed your cats' diets. Canned food is the way to go. If you've not seen this chart, it lists most of the canned foods that are available in the US. You have lots of low carbohydrate (less than 10% carb) choices.

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  3. Cpatt

Cpatt Member

Yes, thank you. I'm just finding out that info about the Vetsulin off of this site. Who am I to question what a vet recommends when all this is thrown in your face all at once. Unprepared we were, to say the least. I've got a feeling I'm not the only one this has happened to. Both cats are on a FF mixed with a couple versions of the chicken Tiki Cat. That chart is one of first things I found and has basically been the food bible for us.

4. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

You are not the first person that has been prescribed Vetsulin. It can be very difficult to confront a vet -- some are of the "my way or the highway" attitude. It may be helpful to print out the article and bring it with you or email it to your vet and ask what he or she would think about a switch to either Prozinc or Lantus.

If you end up switching to Lantus, it's expensive if you buy it at a local pharmacy. You can purchase it through Canada -- many here do so (Mark's Marine Pharmacy) or there are generic, biosimilar versions of glargine available (i.e., Basaglar).

5. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Semglee is the latest generic glargine (Lantus) and the cost through GoodRx is comparable to Lantus from Canada.
    https://www.goodrx.com/semglee

6. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.