NEWLY DIAGNOSED

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by dana moore, Jul 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dana moore

dana moore Member

Ok everyone I finally got my own thread!!! Riley was at 280 during midpoint today. Dr. said to keep giving him 2.5 prozinc because 3 was making him lethargic. I'm still scared of going home and taking his bg but I know it will get easier. Dr also told me to pick his food up so he can't snack during day? So sad. I just want his numbers down. I will keep trying to give him soft food only but he keeps looking for dogs food and my other cats food. Can someone help me out with best food canned please? I was getting too low bg numbers because I was not getting enough blood! Huge mistake I will never make again!

2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

There you are! First, this is a process. Someone called it a marathon, not a sprint. You need to be patient. (We even have pictures of patience pants somewhere on the site - you aren't the first person who has needed a pair). He did drop today so the insulin is working; we'd just like to see a lower range. Can you or hubby get a number around +8? Would be interesting to see how fast he rises.

I think you are on the right track with the food. Wet low carb can make a huge difference (100 points overnight with Oliver when we switched from high carb to lower wet). If the dog food or some of the other cat's food is in the 15-30% carb range, it's like a human diabetic eating donuts and then taking more insulin to counteract it. Once you get him on all low carb, his numbers should go down.

So tell us what everyone is eating and what he specifically will eat. Most people here with multiple cats switch everyone to wet low carb because it is easier. And most people feed mini meals, dividing what he'd normally eat into 4-6 meals daily. He is literally starving because his body isn't converting the food efficiently. Your vet isn't there when you fill up the bowls; you can choose not to share that info?

dana moore likes this.
  3. dana moore

dana moore Member

It was 346 at 8 hrs after prozinc. I'm giving him a mix of WD canned and dry. I just went and got some new canned foods at petsmart

4. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Have we shared this website by a vet? www.catinfo.org. She has a food chart that lists the carbs of many foods. We suggest staying under the 8% range. Although there are fish varieties that are super low carb, it's best to limit them to once/twice a week because of the mercury. Lots of people feed Friskies or Fancy Feast - the pates are the low carb varieties. One thing to make them more appealing is to add a little warm water and make a gravy.

dana moore likes this.
  5. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Found Hills WD on her chart (it's under vet prescribed). Looks like it's 25% carbs.

6. dana moore

dana moore Member

I have 5 cats, and they all love soft food but for some reason Riley is being a brat. I did get some Blue and Friskies Pate on my lunch break today and some freezedried chicken treats. I read WD was very high and I was wondering why would my vet recommend that? UGH. I love my vet don't get me wrong but I have several questions.

7. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Vets are like GPs. They not only have to deal with every medical issue but with a number of different species. I have read that most vet schools offer one workshop on Feline Diabetes and the diet section is done by Purina. Unless you really research the disease and the importance of meat in a feline diet like Dr. Pederson did, you just don't see that part of the picture. Your average vet is going to think pet food manufacturers know what they are talking about, when they only care about the bottom line and cereal is a lot cheaper than meat.

dana moore likes this.
  8. Sue and Oliver (GA)

If you are able to get Riley on wet low carb only, it might be wise to lower the dose until you see how his numbers are affected. The morning after we made the switch, we had to halve Oliver's usual dose or he would have hypoed.

dana moore likes this.
  9. dana moore

dana moore Member

I'm going to try but Riley is really picky at this point. Write what I'm trying right now is to do a little of both more wet food than dry food and then gradually moving into wet food.

Mogmom and Goofus likes this.
  10. Sue and Oliver (GA)

That's a great idea. Sometimes if you switch over too fast, they get upset stomachs.

11. dana moore

dana moore Member

That website is awesome its going to take me a long time to read through it but I'm going to sit down tonight before I go to bed and try to read more. Thank you so much Sue and Oliver.

12. dana moore

dana moore Member

Well I didn't tell you this but he also has inflammatory bowel disease. The vet in the article that you sent me did say that can food also can reverse the effects of inflammatory bowel disease he gets a steroid shot every 30 days for that or else you'll start getting diarrhea. that's what started the diabetes in the first place and January is sugar numbers were perfect until we started giving him shots every 30 days.

13. dana moore

dana moore Member

Okay I just checked his blood glucose again and it was 411 so I'm going to give him 2.5 and he just ate some soft food so I'm just putting some soft food down and that's all I'm going to give them. It's nice to be able to give all of them the same food so he doesn't feel left out. I probably will give him a few bites of dry food later just to balance it a little bit.

14. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Aha. That explains the higher numbers better. Any infection or stress can raise the levels so IBD qualifies. And steriods can raise the levels also. As long as he needs steriods, you just have to work with the insulin and increase as necessary. There are lots of threads with info and ideas for inflammatory bowel disease. Just use the search button on the top of the page. The same for steroids use. There may be steroids that increase or don't increase the levels more. I don't know but I do know lots of people have researched their use.

15. dana moore

dana moore Member

You're so full of information thank you so much. When he was hospitalized two weeks ago he actually had urinary tract infection and he was anemic so now he's on antibiotics too.

16. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Budesonide is an oral steroid which may be given for IBD. It isn't absorbed as much as prednisone or prednisolone, so it has less impact on the blood glucose.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
  17. dana moore

dana moore Member

ok Im very upset. Today we tried getting Rileys reading and it kept saying 80 before insulin or food. just don't think I'm getting enough blood!!! I dont' know what to do. He does not like lowcarb treats, he hates when I touch his ears and I probley poked him 10 times today to get a reading. My husband even tried. He got 78. I gave him soft food lastnight and a small amount of hard. Do you think his numbers went down that much from soft food? I only gave him 1 unit and my husband is home with him. I'm so afraid his bg is high and he's not getting enough insulin, but we just cant get enough blood!!!! A warm sock is not easy either.Help!

18. Mogmom and Goofus

Mogmom and Goofus Well-Known Member

It took me about 6 weeks to get Goof switched to wet food, if there was 1 tsp too much he'd throw up, so everday, I'd put a few less crunchies and a DAB more wet.

19. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

When you get a reading that seems off...whether high or low, but especially low readings, you need to retest again or even twice more. Kitties can have sudden drops which need to be monitored closely. If his number was that low..and you got 2 readings showing that the best idea would be not to shoot. If your hubby is home he should be restesting again and closely monitoring where the levels are.

Also it would be VERY helpful to set up a spreadsheet with the numbers or at the very least post the numbers from the last day or so.

EDITED AT ADD:

Never assume the meter reading is wrong. You can test it on yourself to see if the readings are close to what normal would be for a person With lower numbers always err on the side of caution, especially when you do not have a lot of data as to how your kitty reacts to the insulin.

20. Tuxedo Mom

21. Mogmom and Goofus

The amount of blood required for the test is very small and has nothing to do with the number. But you should retest if you get a wonky number as it's possible to get a bad strip on occasion.

22. Tuxedo Mom

They did 2 readings and got 78 and 80. I really think the numbers may have been correct and that is a low number to shoot on for a newly diagnosed kitty with not much data

23. Tuxedo Mom

Prtocol for PZI and Prozinc:

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/protocol-for-prozinc-pzi.109077/

"Low Preshot Numbers
    The general recommendation for new diabetics is not to shoot a preshot under 200, but to wait 20 minutes (without feeding as food raises blood glucose levels) and retest. If the number is rising and above 200, then a shot can be given with perhaps a little less insulin given."

24. dana moore

dana moore Member

he was drinking a lot of water today so that's a reason why I thought his numbers were off and his bg lastnight was 411 before insulin. Can it go down that much? I know I shouldn't of given him any insulin. I'm trying really hard to do the right thing. Is honey ok to give if he goes into hypo? I just told my husband to make sure he eats more.

25. Tuxedo Mom

It depends how your kitty reacts to the insulin. Since this is new for Riley, you really don't know how he could react. A good example is my kitty last night. He uses Levemir, but the theory is the same. At PMPS her was 319 and at +5 he was 43. I have LOTS of data on my cat but that caught me by surprise!!

dana moore likes this.
  26. Tuxedo Mom

Honey will work. Don't feed him unless you need to. If he starts dropping you can try some honey with a bit of regular food and then retest in about 20 minutes. If he is still dropping then you can try honey and some medium or high carb WET food. You don't want to feed him too much, because if he is dropping you want to be able to get him to eat.

27. Tuxedo Mom

Also if he does start to drop a lot please post his numbers and you can edit your title and add a "911" tag in it to get more eyes on your post.

dana moore likes this.
  28. dana moore

dana moore Member

I'm at work and this is VERY hard to handle. I went through this on Saturday. Same situation. His numbers were all over the place. My husbands at home with him. I thought I should feed him to make sure the numbers don't drop? He is not eating that much as it is. He hates the food I'm giving him. I have really bad anxiety so I'm really in a bad place right now. I just had to take my anxiety meds. I've had 3 attacks since this started and I only get them 2 times maybe a year. I need to relax.

29. dana moore

dana moore Member

Its 80 still after eating some and 1 unit prozinc.

30. Tuxedo Mom

How long ago did he get his insulin and how long ago did he get his food? Just relax and breathe..I will help out as long as I can and see if I can get others to step in as well.

31. Tuxedo Mom

32. Tuxedo Mom

33. Sue and Oliver (GA)

First, breathe. Even if he drops low today, your husband can handle it. He should get a test around 1 to 2 hours after the shot and see where Riley is. And then another test around 5. If he drops into the 50s, have hubby give him a little of his regular food and retest in 20 minutes or so. If he is still dropping, have him give some of the gravy off the higher carb food, then wait and test.

The good news is that you can test so you know exactly what is happening. And you can bring up low numbers with food and finally honey on the gums if necessary. You are doing fine! If the am test was wrong, and he was higher, a little too little insulin in one cycle won't hurt. If he was low, your hubby is there to handle it.

34. Tuxedo Mom

Thanks for stepping in Sue. I know Dana is very worried and I want to make sure she gets the best advice in a calm manner. :)

35. Sue and Oliver (GA)

How is Riley doing, Dana?

36. dana moore

dana moore Member

80 at 2 hrs

37. Sue and Oliver (GA)

So he is pretty flat. The food probably kept him up, though. I would tell your hubby to prepare for an "active cycle" and be ready to give Riley some snacks, maybe some gravy off high carb foods. The idea is to use the food to bring up his levels without filling him up. (You want him to continue to eat if needed)

Maybe get another test at +3. That might tell you whether he is going to stay up or drop down. Again, 50 is the number where you start monitoring carefully and give him snacks to bring him back up.

dana moore likes this.
  38. dana moore

dana moore Member

I'm just in awe if that was really his bg today. He seems to bounce if that's the case. Maybe I should give him a snack before bed to make sure he doesn't drop in middle of night too. If wet food is doing this than that's a good thing. I wont give food anymore if its under 200. promise.

39. Tuxedo Mom

You are doing a great job! The testing is so very important and doing tests at different times from before shot to the next shot tells you a lot about what is happening and how Riley is processing the insulin. Food can have a very big impact on glucose levels so it is important that you do more testing when changing to lower carb foods since that can lower the glucose levels as well. Some kitties drop a lot when put on low carb wet food.

Right now the important thing is to keep monitoring the levels. You can feed below 200 but you shouldn't shoot below 200 at this point. If you are able to get a +5 or +6 in the evening then you will have a better idea how Riley is doing for overnight and then decide how much food/snack you want to give Riley for overnight.

40. dana moore

dana moore Member

How much does the stress cause numbers to rise when you are trying to take his bg and he's a bit upset? and how long does it take for food to cause readings to raise? Like if I wanted to give him a snack while I was testing.

41. dana moore

dana moore Member

Wow so unpredictable.

42. Tuxedo Mom

Every cat is different with how they react to stress. Stress during testing "can" cause glucose to be higher. The more relaxed you are (even if you have to fake it) the more relaxed Riley will be. When I started testing Tuxie it was him howling and me crying. As I learned to relax and get better at the tests Tuxie relaxed too. Now he will run over to his test area when I ask him if he "wants a pokey" since I always give a little bit of food or treat afterwards and he is VERY food motivated. Some kitties are quite happy with extra cuddles and pats.

If you need to give him a snack at the same time as testing that will not affect his glucose levels. Food takes about 15-30 minutes to start affecting the readings.

43. Tuxedo Mom

Exactly. Insulin is a hormone and there can be so many variables as to how a kitty processes it. That is why testing is so important. Some kitties are very predictable and even they can get sudden highs or lows for no understandable reason.

44. dana moore

dana moore Member

thank God I didn't give him 2.5 like vet recommended.

45. dana moore

dana moore Member

So you basically give based on readings but how do you know how much to give? 200, 300, 400 ect...

Tuxedo Mom likes this.
  46. Tuxedo Mom

YES!! And that was a great call on your part. You said in an earlier post that 3 units was making him lethargic. That is one of the major signs of a hypo episode. Some cats can go into low numbers and do not show any signs, and just need to be tested and fed as needed. Once a cat goes into an actual hypo attack then they need to go the the emergency immediately. So you showed good sense in shooting lower. ;)

dana moore likes this.
  47. Tuxedo Mom

OK when it comes to dosing with Prozinc that is not something I am familiar with since Prozinc can be done on a sliding scale while the one I use (levemir) is done differently. Sue would be better to advise you on the dosing since she has used this type of insulin. The only consistent principle for any insulin is do not shoot under 200 when you are first starting.

dana moore likes this.
  48. dana moore

dana moore Member

when you say first starting, why is that? Would you do it after the cat has been diabetic for some time?

49. dana moore

dana moore Member

Who feeds their cats 2 times a day? Riley only shows that he is real hungry after prozinc when his bg is high. He will eat a small amount when I give it to him but that's it and about after 20 minutes he will get up and eat a significant amount more? Maybe it's because the insulin makes him feel better? I hate that 2 hrs later he is looking for food. How many of you feed only 2 times a day? or give snacks in between? How often do you ck his bg numbers daily. What about his poor ears? Don't they get really sore?

50. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Dana, have you seen the protocol we put together for ProZinc? It'll answer some of your questions. It is in blue in my signature. Just click on it.

With ProZinc, you look at the pre shot numbers and the nadirs of previous cycles. So, looking at his spreadsheet so far, we thought the first low numbers were a meter fluke. They could have been or maybe he is getting too much insulin. More data and more time will give us better answers. His numbers today seem true, not meter error, and suggest that 2.5 units is too high a dose. Anytime you get a number too low to shoot 12 hours after a shot, the dose needs to be reduced.

Let's see how this cycle goes and what his pm number looks like. He may bounce from the lows of today, but even if he bounces into high numbers, we'd still suggest reducing so we don't get into a pattern of highs and lows.

It seems complicated at first, but the more data you get, the better you get at interpretating it and figured put how the insulin is working for your kitty. It works differently in every cat.

Do you have any new numbers?

And yes, thank goodness you are testing and not just blindly shooting 3 units. One of the reasons we get nervous when a vet starts on ahigh dose and doesn't insist on home testing.

51. Sue and Oliver (GA)

After a month or so of testing, when you have a pretty good idea of how the insulin works for him, you can start shooting at lower numbers - as long as you know you can test during that cycle.

Neosporin with pain relief can help with the ears. Just a very thin smear. Also, holding the ear for a few seconds after the poke can help with brusing. Their ears toughen up after awhile and become less likely to bruise.

Until cats are regulated and out of high ranges, they are literally starving. The food they eat isn't filling them up but instead is being using by the pancreas for the diabetes. So we do suggest feeding a little more and feeding smaller, more frequent meals. Adding warm water to the food helps make him feel filled up.

Mogmom and Goofus likes this.
  52. dana moore

dana moore Member

okay new numbers at 5 hrs 122

53. Sue and Oliver (GA)

This is looking fine. The amazing thing about him is that he doesn't seem to drop super low. I can say now (didn't want to scare you before) that normally any insulin on an 80 would be dangerous. He only had 40 points to drop for a hypo and that could have happened very early.

54. Mogmom and Goofus

Totally agree!

55. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Okay, tonight, time for a spreadsheet. I think Rhonda set one up for you, right? Is it on your computer? If so, it is easy to easy to put in your signature. Then it updates with any new data you add and we can see his history at a glance. Let me know if you need help.

One reason it is so important is that if you posted tonight for dose advice and said he was 300, someone who didn't know what had happened today might suggest a larger dose than would be best. (My thinking is that he is likely to be high because he is likely to bounce). We need to be able to see what has happened previously to give you good advice.

56. dana moore

dana moore Member

I understand. Thank you. I'm having a hard time getting the spread sheet.

57. Sue and Oliver (GA)

I'll start a private conversation with you and we can go from there.

58. dana moore

dana moore Member

Ok I'm home and Riley is alert and acting really good, thank God!!! Ok so I will take his next reading around 6:30 and let you all know what it is and I want you to guide me. I have read that protocol several times but I someone was saying something about even if he has really high numbers to still give a low dose? I gave him his injection at 7:00 1 unit with 80 bg. never again. My husband said he gave him regular cat food hard at 8:45 and he ate a good bit. His bg was at 80 at 9:00 and 122 at noon. I opened the spreadsheet and now I have to figure out how to use it. Thank you everyone.

59. Sue and Oliver (GA)

That was me. If he is high this pm, it will be because he bounced from the low. (If his body perceives a lower number than it is used to, it releases extra glucose and his levels bounce up). The 2.5 you gave last night was too much (am I right on that dose? See we need that spreadsheet) because it gave you a low number this morning and potentially a very low number overnight. So we need to forget about that dose and give him less.

If he is over 200, I think I'd try one unit. He should be safe with that and you can relax and not worry. I'll be home tonight and watch for your evening number when you post.

60. dana moore

dana moore Member

Ok sounds great thank you so much you are a life saver. I hope this will be a piece of cake one day.

61. dana moore

dana moore Member

should I wait to take it at 6:30 or should I take his bg now. does it matter if its within last hour?

62. dana moore

dana moore Member

I would like to give him some food at 6:30.

63. dana moore

dana moore Member

I just took it and it said 162

64. dana moore

dana moore Member

Okay I retook because I just wanted to see and this time it was 231??? Not even 5 minutes later?

65. Sue and Oliver (GA)

It would be better if you could just give him a little snack now in case you get a wonky number when you test at +12.

That is strange. Any difference in the amount of blood for either test? Too much or too little can mess up the test.

66. dana moore

dana moore Member

yes the second test had more blood.

67. dana moore

dana moore Member

Ok he just ate a small amount of soft food I have to go to samslub and get more strips and I will check at 7:00

68. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Funny that it doesn't give you an error message for too little or too much blood.

69. dana moore

dana moore Member

Okay I got a reading of 182 then 159 then 184 all within about 2 minutes. the 184 had most blood on it. I just fed him some hard food wd since he didnt eat any soft but a few bites. So I guess I gon't give him any prozinc?

70. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Looks like he is somewhere in the 180s. What you can do is stall. Don't feed ( food raises levels) and retest in 20 minutes. If he is over 200, then you could try one unit

71. dana moore

dana moore Member

He just ate!!!! a small amount though. It was the only way he would let me take it agian.

72. Sue and Oliver (GA)

That should be ok. My thinking is that he is really close to 200 and it'd be nice if you didn't have to slip

73. dana moore

dana moore Member

Slip? of skip? Isnt a human glucometer read less than a reg one? slightly?

74. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sorry, skip. I'm on my phone.

If you're uncomfortable shooting, then skip. Always go with your gut.

75. dana moore

dana moore Member

new reading 166 I took mine 3 times in row it was 126, 117, 116.

76. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Not over 200 mg/dl, so I would either stall 20 min without feeding and re-test, or skip.

Understanding the spreadsheet/grid:

The colored headings at the top are the ranges of glucose values. They are color-coded to clue you in as to meaning.

Each day is 1 row. Each column stores different data for the day.

From left to right, you enter
    the Date in the first column
    the AMPS (morning pre-shot test) in the 2nd column
    the Units given (turquoise column)

Then, there are 11 columns labeled +1 through +11
    If you test at +5 (5 hours after the shot), you enter the test number in the +5 column
    If you test at +7 (7 hours after the shot), you enter the test number in the +7 column
    and so on.

Halfway across the page is the column for PMPS (evening pre-shot)
    To the right is another turquoise column for Units given at the evening shot.

There is second set of columns labeled +1 through +11
    If you snag a before bed test at +3, you enter the test number in the +3 column.

We separate day and night numbers like that because many cats go lower at night.

It is merely a grid for storing the info; no math required.

dana moore likes this.
  77. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Ok. Then I'd definitely skip.

Meters have a 20% variance. One meter can vary 20% each time you take a reading. Yours fit within the variance.

dana moore likes this.
  78. dana moore

dana moore Member

sounds great. I wish I had more time to do all this. I have my daughter after work and its so hard to get anything done. She doesn't like me on the computer to much. Shes 3

79. dana moore

dana moore Member

I will test tomorrow around 6 again? Or should I have my husband do it again when he gets home around midnight?

80. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

You do the best you can.

dana moore likes this.
  81. dana moore

dana moore Member

Im gonna go throw up now!!!:banghead: Ok so if the reading is over 200 tomorrow. Give 1 unit or more if its 300 or 400?

82. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Your spreadsheet is all set up. I can add the new numbers to it.

Can you see it in your signature?

Up to you. He is most likely to rise. He shouldn't go lower tonight. Yes, test in the am before feeding. He is likely to be high, after 24 hours since the previous shot. But I'd still lower the dose to 1.5 or one, depending on whether your hubby can monitor and how high he is.

83. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Okay I added the latest numbers. If you have time tonight, take a look. All those blues and greens look really nice today. He surfed along in lower ranges all day. He didn't bounce up and he didn't crash. Both are good things.

dana moore likes this.
  84. dana moore

dana moore Member

Thk u.

85. dana moore

dana moore Member

I love it thank you so much that you are so nice

86. dana moore

dana moore Member

New number is 379 what should I do should I give him one and a half units or two

87. dana moore

dana moore Member

I'm trying to go in and put in this morning's numbers but for some reason its not letting me.

88. dana moore

dana moore Member

I can open it up under my name and I can look at it but when I touch it it doesn't do anything.

89. dana moore

dana moore Member

I went ahead and gave him two units with food. That was the dose that he originally was prescribed before they went up and he seemed to do fine on that but we will definitely monitor.

90. dana moore

dana moore Member

He did not eat after 930 last night and he did not get prozinc last night because his numbers were around 180.

91. Mogmom and Goofus

That's ok, 180 is ok. What time did you last test him?

92. dana moore

dana moore Member

5 am 379. I gave 2 units

93. Mogmom and Goofus

Sounds good. My vet always said to wait 3 days before changing the dose because it takes their body a little time to adjust, unless the numbers went much lower.

dana moore likes this.
  94. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Re the spreadsheet - are you using the one I sent you via email? The one in your signature is a read only. You can't add info to it. Also, be sure you are signed into Google first.

We'll see with the dose. He is high because you skipped last night. Your husband can monitor today for a while, right?

95. dana moore

dana moore Member

yes. he was acting his best ever lastnight getting up on my computer like he used to? idk. This morning he was ok but after I gave him his shot about 30 minutes later he started limping slightly with his right leg. When he came back from the vet he couldn't even walk. Why is it sometimes he limps other times he doesn't.

96. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Let me check for sure. So this morning you went into your favorites on your computer at home, opened up the spreadsheet and couldn't add anything? If so, I'll see what I can do today.

97. dana moore

dana moore Member

98. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Ok. Start over. Go to the email I sent you yesterday. Click on the spreadsheet link. If it then says you need to sign onto Goggle, do that.

99. dana moore

dana moore Member

I went to google and was able to pull it up from work but I have to go home and do it on my computer.

100. dana moore

dana moore Member

to save it to my favorites

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.