Newly Diagnosed

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Julia & Kovu, Oct 16, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Julia & Kovu

Julia & Kovu New Member

Hello everyone!

My name is Julia, I'm from Canada. I have two cats Simba & Kovu, they are almost 5 year olds from the same litter although one is orange (Simba) and one is black (Kovu). We adopted them as kittens from the SPCA.

They have always been big boys and hearty eaters. Over the last week Kovu was eating less, drinking less, lethargic and we noticed he wasn't using the litter box as much. We took him into the vet and he was diagnosed with diabetes. We have started him on Purina DM (I have read the forums and know that this is not the best but that's what we were given from the vet as they did not have cans). We are starting him on insulin on wednesday when we go in for a follow-up appointment and training. I assume they will do the glucose curve then as well. The doctor recommended caninsulin with twice daily dosing.

I have to admit I'm feeling completely overwhelmed and have been very upset since learning of this diagnoses. I'm a nurse and I work varied hours and I don't know how this will fit into our lives. We obviously want the best for him.

I'm questioning a few things...
    1) I'm thinking I should get my other cat tested as they are brothers and he's equally as "fluffy" as Kovu
    2) Does anyone dose once per day? I know that the recommended is twice per day for good control but I don't see how this can fit into our schedules, it seems so rigid. I know that with humans we give Lantus once per day.
    3) Can we do diet control only and no insulin? Like a no carb diet? Or with oral hypoglycemics?

And probably a 1000 other questions will pop up in my head.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
    jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  2. Julia & Kovu

Julia & Kovu New Member

These are our sweet guys

Attached Files:

Critter Mom likes this.
  3. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Waving from Ontario.

Just quickly because I'm flying out the door. Others will respond in depth and with links to various pieces of information.
    1. You can test your other cat yourself with a human glucometer. A number of Cdns use the FreeStyle Lite which takes a small blood drop.
    2. Cats have a faster metabolism and require BID dosing.
    3. Lowering carbs can drop numbers by up to 5 (100 in US numbers) but usually insulin is needed to support the pancreas.

Caninsulin was designed for dogs and is a harsh insulin for cats. It drops them fast and hard during the first part of the cycle. Prozinc would give you an hour's leeway with the shot.

Is there someone else in the household or a neighbour who can give the shots when you are at work?

Apologies for the blunt reply. Gotta run.

4. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB Julia, Simba and extra sweet Kovu (They are adorable btw)
    We are a group of dedicated kitty cat lovers that share a common bond, feline diabetes. we will help any an all that find this forum.
    You may want to start here to get acquainted with how this board works:
    New? How You Can Help Us Help You!

There are many here with crazy and difficult schedules. I'm sure we can figure out one that will fit into yours.
    Theres a ton of information here with good folks to help you navigate it all.

WELCOME TO OUR FAMILY:bighug:

You have found the best darn site on this planet to learn everything you need to know anout feline diabetes
    We look forward to getting to know you and sweet Kovu.
    jeanne

5. Pookie (GA)

Pookie (GA) Member

Hi Julia, I'm Enid (and that's Lola in the sink).

We've only been here a week so I have no expertise to offer you, but welcome to the forum. It's been a lifesaver for us.

E

6. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

The Purina DM dry is carb loaded. The Purina DM pate is low carb. The Purina Savoury is medium carb.
    There is nothing special about the diabetic prescription food except the price.
    Here is a food list researched by a vet that lists foods under 10% carbs.
    • Cat Food - Nutritional Composition, data compiled by Dr. Lisa Pierson, DVM (2017)
    • Note: some of these foods are not available in Canada. Fancy Feast Classic is Fancy Feast Pate in Canada; same with Friskies Classic (pate).

Caninsulin is not the best insulin for a cat. That being said, it may be the only insulin that might work with your shifts. Prozinc, a much gentler insulin for cats, has a leeway of about an hour.
    Required reading
    BEGINNER'S GUIDE TO CANINSULIN/VETSULIN

Is there someone at home who can learn how to test blood glucose and give the shot?

Test your other cat at home with a human glucometer. You'll need to get one anyway. Just as you would not give a child insulin without testing, it is important to do the same with a cat. That is how you keep your fluffy one safe. You to test before giving insulin to see if the number is high enough to shoot. Also important to get some early and especially mid-cycle tests in when you can. Dosing is based on the nadir, not the preshot number.
    Hometesting tips and videos:

Cats have a different metabolism. If you give us some idea of your shifts, we can help you figure it out. Some people here do shift work.

Oral glycemics rarely work with cats. They make the pancreas work harder than it already is.

The shooting protocol for Caninsulin
    • Because this insulin can drop BG quickly, it is important to feed your cat 20 - 30 minutes before giving insulin. This ensures there is food on board for when the insulin starts to work. So, the sequence would be:
    • (1) Test BG.
    • (2) Feed.
    • (3) Wait 20 - 30 mins.
    • (4) Give the insulin shot. (If you are not yet home testing it is still advisable to feed and then wait before giving the shot).
    • Some caregivers feed a snack (or part of the main meal) an hour and a half to two hours after the shot. This strategy can slow down the rate at which the BG is dropping.
    • If you can determine when your cat's nadir (lowest BG) typically occurs during a 12-hour cycle, you can make food available prior to that time. Again, several small meals spread out before nadir can help to soften fast drops in numbers. Timed feeders can be helpful for caregivers who can’t be there in person to feed their cat.
    • Some caregivers using Caninsulin (Vetsulin) withhold food for the second half of the cycle in order to slow down the rate at which the BG rises as the effect of the insulin wears off. If your cat’s BG rises fast after the peak of the cycle you may find this technique useful.
    • In any case, it can be helpful to withhold food for the two hours prior to a pre-shot BG test. This is just to ensure that the test result is a ‘true’ reading and isn’t influenced by food.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.