Newly dx, started at 2 units, worried.

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Jade & George, Nov 21, 2021.

1. Jade & George

Jade & George Member

Vet directed me to start insulin at 2 units 2x/day. Just got alphatrak delivered today but had been trying to test bg with cheap CVS meter but only got two readings out of 14 attempts. All numbers tracked on SS. Afraid to go to sleep or leave the house or let George out of my sight.

2. Hshray

Hshray Well-Known Member

Good job getting the readings! Numbers in the 30s are really low on the alpha track. He definitely earned a reduction no matter what dosing method you are following. Normally the starting dose is around 1 unit twice a day. Some others may be around to comment later, but I think the suggestion will probably to be to start at 1 unit tomorrow morning (assuming his numbers are high enough to shoot). If you need help in the morning, I would suggest posting on the main health forum before shooting as the Prozinc forum is pretty lightly trafficked sometimes.

Jade & George likes this.
  3. Jade & George

Jade & George Member

Thanks so much @Hshray ! I found a package of freeze-dried salmon treats (from an order of Nacho cat food I never got around to trying) and suddenly someone doesn't mind her ear pricks half as much. And I got a few hours of sleep since posting last - and hoping for a few more now that I'm pretty sure I'm past her nadir for tonight.

4. Jade & George

Jade & George Member

AMPS 219. Shot 1 unit while eating breakfast: 1/4 can of Purina DM with a sprinkle of kibble on top (12-15 pieces). Not sure what to do next, but will check BG at +1, +2, etc. Would like to give another small meal at 12n and 4p but haven't consulted with vet yet.

Hshray likes this.
  5. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

I think 1U was a good idea. He may be bouncing from those low numbers so I'd hold this dose for a few days to see what happens (provided of course he doesn't earn a reduction - if he drops below 90 for now you'll reduce by 0.25U...more if he's really going low until we figure out a good dose).

As for food, we'll see his patterns over the next few days as you test. The more data you have the better, but every 2-3 hours is good unless he's going into green numbers or showing big (30+ point) drops.

Have you changed diet recently?