Niki’s numbers keep dropping

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by nikkiaz, Feb 17, 2021.

1. nikkiaz

nikkiaz Member

Niki is going through a hypo event. No symptoms other than low BG. Been feeding and testing throughout the night (please see notes in today’s spreadsheet for the up to date readings). Not sure how to get him up more. All of our food is not high carb.

totally panicked here.

First time right now ever that he didn’t finish a bowl of food.

What else can we do? Can we give him any people food? Help please and thank you!

2. Logan & Sandy

Logan & Sandy Member

@nikkiaz do you have kayo syrup/ rub it on his gums.. or maple syrup rub on his gums?

3. nikkiaz

nikkiaz Member

Yes, we have been giving him Karo syrup - he has been licking it off the spoon. It seems to help in the short run but then his numbers still keep dropping, even with the syrup and all the food.

thanks for replying!

4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

On take a breath. :). Rather than lick it off the spoon, take a finger and rub it in his gums.

Do you have anything like party mix? Or high carb dry food? For the future always keep a few cans of high carb gravy food in stock.

Rub the syrup on the gums and test again since it's been 25 min

5. JanetNJ

Is there anyone in your house that can run to the store and get something high carb? If it drops again despite the syrup, is there an er vet close by? Right now he's low but not panic low. The problem is you don't have high carb food. What is the highest you have?

6. JanetNJ

On looking at your spreadsheet I see there are several times your cat earned a reduction but you did not lower the dose but Instead you raised the dose.

I just read your notes. Can you add those readings into the spreadsheet?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
  7. nikkiaz

nikkiaz Member

Well, he made it through the night. His PMPS was 477 and he wasn’t hungry this morning.

8. nikkiaz

nikkiaz Member

Hi Janet -

sorry your latest message just came through now. Sorry! I will add those notes to the spreadsheet later.

basically we have thought that those readings were artificially low, like they were last night. Since we changed Niki to Prozinc on the advice of our vet (because he couldn’t get regulated...he’s actually been worse all over the board so we want to switch back), I can’t give him a shot. Every single time he has these hypo episodes, it is because I was the one who gave him his PM shot (we have tracked it). I don’t know if it is because of the longer needle or what. We have theorized that it is because somehow I manage to get his shot directly into the muscle, and I have read that if that happens, they will go pretty low. Every.single.time.

I had no problem giving him his shot while he was on Lantus. Or even for our previous sugar cat Anabel. But we haven’t been able to figure out how to correct my issue with giving him the shots. Unfortunately my husband doing it all the time is not sustainable, because he is not home all the time at dinner (like last night). And Niki pays the price.

But last night was scary, because he just continued going down until way early in the morning. That’s never happened before.

thanks so much for helping and caring.

Nancy

9. JanetNJ

If you think you are poking too far, you just have to get the very tip of the needle in. AS soon as you feel it pop through, you are in far enough. She has earned a reduction. Once you see a number under 80-90 you should drop the dose by 0.25. Starting with the next shot, please lower the dose to 1.75. I see you are able to test at night which is good... days that you are home or are able to, try to get a mid day number as well.

10. nikkiaz

nikkiaz Member

Thank you! That is a great tip and I will try it later.

I will also reduce his dose to 1.75.

thanks for caring and for helping!

JanetNJ likes this.
  11. JanetNJ

Happy to help. :D