No insulin a week - Am I doing this right?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Jessica L., Oct 13, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jessica L.

Jessica L. New Member

I haven't given Purrscilla any insulin shots in a week—since we started home-testing more consistently—because of her low PS numbers. Am I doing this right? Are we looking at the start of remission? (My SS is up-to-date.)

Thanks in advance for any help!

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
  2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

You are doing a good job.
    What steroid are you giving and what is dose? Why giving it? Pancreatitis? How long on it and is it going to be stopped?
    I ask since continued use may result in need for insulin again.
    Also looking at your SS I do not see any BG values that ould have required an insulin. What lead to the diabetes diagnosis?

Jessica L. likes this.
  3. Jessica L.

Jessica L. New Member

She's on Budesonide, which was started in May because of pancreatitis. She's still on it (once a day) because it's reduced her frequent vomiting. We lowered the dosage from 0.5 ml to 0.4 ml for the first time two weeks ago. I want to continue to wean her off. I'll be bringing that up the next time we see the vet.

Her diabetes diagnosis was a weird one. The pancreatitis diagnosis led to IBD diagnosis. The vet prescribed hypoallergenic dry food (Purina Pro Plan Veterinary Diets HA Hydrolyzed Formula Dry Cat Food) for the IBD. One of the check-ups after being on that for a few weeks is when the vet noticed her glucose was in the 500s and said she's diabetic. So along with 2 units of Vetsulin twice a day (which I know now was too high to start!), I switched her to low-carb wet food.

I did the math yesterday out of curiosity, and that prescription food I mentioned has 42% calories from carbs. No wonder her BG was so high! I wonder if the vet prematurely diagnosed her with diabetes.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
  4. Jessica L.

Jessica L. New Member

Side note: What does GA stand for on this forum? :)

5. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Gone Ahead kitties that gave passed

Jessica L. likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.