? No Shot this AM?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Kelley and Pip, Apr 10, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kelley and Pip

Kelley and Pip Member

Hi Everyone,

I have tested Pip 4x in the last two hours and they've all come in between 154-175. Could such a dramatic change happen so quickly? I believe since it's Vetsulin and she is under 200 that would be a NS this morning? Or a reduced shot? Any help would be great.

2. Scdal

Scdal Member

I wish someone would respond to you. I don't have the knowledge to advise you. It is frustrating when no one responds. My cat is on Lantus which usually doesn't cause large drops but my cat has dropped from over 300 BG to 43 BG in the same day. I THINK that Vetsulin can cause higher drops in a short time period. Hopefully, someone will respond soon.

3. Kelley and Pip

Kelley and Pip Member

Thanks. It’s been 12 hours since insulin which is why the numbers are confusing me so much.

4. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

Not a vetsulin user, but I would skip this morning with 152 on an AT meter. The other option you can sometimes do in this situation is to wait 30mins (without feeding a meal) to see if the numbers have come up. In this case, though, you have that 175 at +10, that's telling you that the 152 wasn't a fluke or a temporary dip into blues.

I wonder if the 1.0U is a little too much insulin for him? We usually change in 0.25U increments-- tough to see on the syringe, but those tiny amounts can make a difference in a cat's body! With the wrong AT code, you don't have a lot of data you could trust at 0.5U before jumping up to 1.0U. He's mostly been in yellows and pinks (and reds!) since then, but it's possible that he's going low briefly and bouncing back up. He may be just coming out of a 3-day bounce from the blue number on Tuesday, for example.

5. Scdal

Scdal Member

Have you tried posting on the Vetsulin website? If you have, I would go ahead and repost with 911 in your header. I don't care what anyone thinks about it not being an emergency. You need an answer. Once someone responds, you can remove the 911 from your title. I have done this before. Our cats depend on us for their lives.

6. Kelley and Pip

Kelley and Pip Member

Hi @Nan & Amber (GA) and @Scdal.

I started her at 1U and then with the wrong readings (not knowing) on the AT we reduced to a 1/2 dose. Once we realized the code was wrong and the readings were false we went back up to 1U. I am now at +2 and the reading is 160. That was my last AT strip (UGH). My vet was supposed to have some yesterday when I went but they weren't in yet. I went to Walmart and got the Relion and will add a break indicating the change in meter. I think I'll just stick with the Relion. It's cheaper and I can have more strips on hand. At this point I am not going to administer any insulin for the AM and will check throughout the day.

7. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

I'll tag
    @Deb & Wink

@JanetNJ
    for you maybe they can give you some advice
    Note she just switched from the Alpha Trak to the Relion today
    Thanks ladies

8. Diane Tyler's Mom

9. Kelley and Pip

Kelley and Pip Member

@Diane Tyler's Mom Thank you! I am just really starting to confuse myself with all the meters and wrong codes. But she was mid 100's on the Relion too.

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  10. Diane Tyler's Mom

Can you put what is BG was this morning with the relion on the SS

11. Scdal

Scdal Member

I use the relion meter and strips. I love them. I also love that you can get them delivered the same day for free. You can order their 100 count strips from their online website and get a discount for a 2 pack. That gives you 200 strips. When I get down to my last 100, I reorder so I won't run out. I almost ran out of strips during our ice storm so now I keep a stock of them.

12. Kelley and Pip

Kelley and Pip Member

@Diane Tyler's Mom. I just tested again with the Relion at +3 hours since AMPS and it was 171

13. Christie & Maverick

Christie & Maverick Well-Known Member

In most cases, until you get enough data on how your cat responds to the insulin, you can always stall (don't feed) and retest in 20 minutes. You typically want to see the number rising up to 200. This can continue, (stalling and not feeding) another 20 minutes, and perhaps again, if schedule allows. If the number still isn't rising after multiple times stalling, and your schedule doesn't allow for more stalling, then it is usually safer to skip. For new members, it is recommended not to shoot if the BG remains under 200, until you collect enough data on how your cat responds to insulin and carbs. As long as your cat has not had a history of ketones or previously diabetic ketoacidosis, then it is perfectly acceptable to skip.

Beginner's Guide to Caninsulin/Vetsulin

14. Kelley and Pip

Kelley and Pip Member

Thanks! I am continuing to test her and she remains under 200. I did feed her about an hour after the AMPS should have been because she was just so hungry at that point and I was pretty set on not giving the shot. After food she is remaining in the blue but looks to be climbing a little.

15. Christie & Maverick

Christie & Maverick Well-Known Member

All data is good data, especially now that you have switched meters. It will be interesting to see how Pip fares today without insulin.

16. Kelley and Pip

Kelley and Pip Member

@Christie & Maverick another test and we are at 259. Depending on PMPS I’m going to try and do an overnight curve.

17. April & Quincy

April & Quincy Member

Can you give the website, please? All I could find when I did a search was Walmart which is totally fine but if you can get a discount for a 2-pack, I'm all for it! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.