? Non-pate non-fish low-carb food options

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Desi Mom, Sep 29, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Desi Mom

Desi Mom Member

Destiny refuses to eat pates any longer. I think after she has a break from them for a while, she won't mind going back to them eventually. In the meantime though, I am struggling to find non-pate options. I tried using Dr. Lisa Pierson's database, catinfo.org/chart/index.php, but it seems that the majority of the non-pate low-carb options are fish. Cats aren't supposed to eat fish all the time. Also, while the database is really nice, it also seems a bit out of date (for example the Tiki Cat options listed do not match up with the current Tiki Cat options on their website).

I have been doing some research on my own, but the internet has conflicting information. One site says all Tiki Cat wet food is zero carb, however another site says some of them, like the Makaha Grill Mackerel & Sardines or Kapi'Olani Luau Tilapia are over 10% carbs.

Does anyone have a current list of non-pate, non-fish food options?

2. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Have you looked at the Fancy Feast Roasted or Flakes?

3. Desi Mom

Desi Mom Member

That you for replying. She loves the flaked, however they are all fish. I haven't been able to find roasted in any stores yet. This weekend I am going to make a run to Petsmart, which is why I am asking for options now, so I can make a list of what to look for there. I hope they have the FF roasted as well as some other options that Walmart, Target, the grocery stores, etc. don't carry.

4. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

I didn't look at the flavors for the flaked sorry
    I hope you can find the Roasted

5. RavenMystic

RavenMystic New Member

New here.. but have you checked out chewy. Dot Com?? I've seen that they have decent prices and should have non fish Fancy Feast

6. RavenMystic

RavenMystic New Member

7. Desi Mom

Desi Mom Member

Thank you RavenMystic. The link you shared isn't working for me, so I did a search on Chewy for a poultry beef collection and the ones that pulled up were the classic pate, which is what she currently won't eat, or the grilled or gravy lovers versions, neither of which are low carb. :(

8. RavenMystic

RavenMystic New Member

so sorry I thought that would help =( they do have a Fancy Feast Medleys that are flaked and usually are like turkey florentine and stuff like that I noticed but hey I'm not that knowledgeable about Diabetic animals so that's partly why I joined this message board

Desi Mom likes this.
  9. Joe P

Joe P New Member

Purina Beyond has some gravy non-fish flavors that are about 7% carbs. Not great but better than most gravies.

Desi Mom likes this.
  10. Katherine&Ruby

Katherine&Ruby Well-Known Member

Weruva and Tiki Cat have lots of chicken based options that are low carb. The Weruva site posts their carb percentages so it's easy to figure out. I use their low carb BFF pates a lot as a topper for my cats who are on raw food. The smell of the tuna gets them to eat when they are being finicky. A small amount of fish is not bad, only you don't want them to be on a completely fish diet. It's hard to get them off it once they have a taste for it!

Desi Mom likes this.
  11. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Many of the Tiki brand foods are chicken and they are shreds. They actually look and smell like human food! You'll need to read over the labels to make sure they don't contain any fish products. In general, they are a good quality food.

Desi Mom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.