Not eating, breathing funny.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Jajsmom, Aug 10, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jajsmom

Jajsmom Member

Jasper was acting funny today. Found him panting with tongue out again. Real hot here in FL today. Thought maybe he was over heated. Took him inside to cool room. He hasn't touched his food mid day or tonight. Not drinking. He did eat some treats when I tried. Groomed himself. Moved around some. His breathing still seems a little off to me. Number was 320 this afternoon and 304 PMPS. I just realized I dosed him when he didn't eat. Gonna keep an eye on him and call the vet in the morning if nothing has changed. He does seem a little more bonier to me again. It could be something other than diabetes or maybe its just his time. I'll keep you posted.

2. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Try to get him to eat, anything. Yes please let us know. :(

3. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA) Well-Known Member

Can you syringe feed him some water? I’d also try baby food so he has something in him.

I’d suggest counting his testing breathing rate if you can. Wait till he’s been asleep for 15 minutes and count the breathing for 15 seconds. Then multiply that by 5 to get the minute average. You want it to be around 20-30

4. Butters & Lyla

Butters & Lyla Well-Known Member

There is also this posting on how to stimulate a kitty's appetite.
    Some of the ideas from it, in addition to baby food (without onions or garlic), are trying some zero sodium tuna or some baked boiled chicken, no sodium chicken broth, or even no sodium canned chicken. If he will eat treats, maybe you could try giving him some more of those.

5. Jajsmom

Jajsmom Member

I have been syringe feeding water to him. I opened a different cat food. He licked a little, but didn't eat. He did eat a few more treats, but not many. He was at 267 at +2 , so he's in his regular range.
    What was weird was he was laying on the floor. My other cat came to him. Licked him and rested his head on his hind. Like he sensed something. Breathing isn't too bad, but he's certainly not feeling himself.

6. Butters & Lyla

Good job with the water. I see in your signature you give him a bit of dry food at night. Would he eat that?

Sending lots of healing vines to Jasper tonight. :bighug::bighug:

7. Jajsmom

Jajsmom Member

I put his water dish in front of him. He drank some, used the litter box and drank a little more. I had a pouch of premium chicken bites. Gave him some. He ate them, so gave him more.

8. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

I think you may also want to look into an anti aide option for him like Cerenia or ondansetron. The breathing issue is something to keep an eye out for especially if it happens again. It could be indicative of a heart issue so an X-ray could be in order. Do count the breathing as that should also tell you something.

9. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

I would also test his urine for ketones

10. Jajsmom

Jajsmom Member

I think I'm gonna call the vet this morning. He's the same. Im in tears as I write this, but I think I may have to let him go. He just looks pitiful. I think he's probably sick in another way. I'll see what they say, but not sure there's much they can do. Wouldn't touch food or drink just now. Two days ago, he would gobble food . He just sits staring. He's so fragile and I don't want him suffering. I'm so sad.

11. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

Hopefully the vet will find it is something that is treatable. My cat Mona had a similar thing happen last year and it was an infection. After a couple rounds of antibiotics she recovered.

12. Butters & Lyla

I'm so sorry :( It's the absolute worst feeling when our kitties are so sick. You are doing everything you can do to help Jasper. Taking him to the vet asap sounds like the best possible plan. Please keep us updated on what happens. You and he are going to be on my mind all day today. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

13. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Please dont give up. Sending prayers and positive vines to wrap him in comfort.:(

14. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

It could be a heart issue that is treatable. I say this because Minnie’s behavior was much the same and after 2 hospitalizations, a feeding tube, pneumonia and cardiomyopathy, she’s still here and doing really well. Cats have an amazing ability to bounce back. I’d definitely take him to the vet or an emergency hospital though so they can figure out what’s going on and make sure he eats. Sending good thoughts and prayers

15. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

Not meaning to scare the life out of you but other members and myself have had a rude introduction to cardiomyopathy. It's genetic and in our case momma cat and four kittens all had it. Their breathing became labored almost overnight and from then on it was hopeless.
    I sincerely mean this. I'm not a doomsday prophet who assumes the worst every time a cat sneezes but it happened to us. In our case diagnosis involved multiple ultrasounds which ran into thousands of dollars. No NOT let some emergency clinic reach into your wallet for a miracle cure, there isn't one.
    Wishing you all the best and a speedy recovery. The odds are with you that this is something minor.
    Dickson and the boys :bighug: :bighug: :bighug:

16. Jajsmom

Jajsmom Member

I ended up putting him down this morning.

17. thebigfuzz

thebigfuzz Well-Known Member

:bighug::bighug::bighug:

I'm so sorry for your loss.

18. Butters & Lyla

Robyn, I am so, so sorry that you had to let your beautiful Jasper go today. I wish I could ease some of your pain, but I know there are no words.
    My heart is truly broken for you.

:bighug::bighug::bighug:

19. Teresa & Buddy

Teresa & Buddy Well-Known Member

I am so sorry for your loss.

Jajsmom and Noah & me (GA) like this.
  20. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

Our Jasper is gone as well. Please be kind to yourself and above all don't let guilt enter in to it.
    Jasper loved you, you loved Jasper. That's all that mattered.

21. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

I am so sorry to hear that you had to let Jasper go. I know it is hard for you right now but I hope the memories you have of him bring you some comfort.

Fly free sweet Jasper and watch over everyone who loves you.
    cat_wings>o

22. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

I’m very very sorry for the heartbreak of having to let Jasper go. You watched over him and now your angel will watch over you. We go into this knowing it’s finite and still we give all of ourselves to them because they give all of themselves to us. It’s all anyone can hope for in this life. May Jasper RIP :rb_icon:cat_wings>o:rb_icon:

23. Jajsmom

Jajsmom Member

Thank you all! I feel bad for my last remaining cat. He's all alone now. We went from 4 or 5 cats to 1 in the past year. My Husband doesn't want any more cats for a while. We used to have 58 acres and had 4 dogs, 7 cats, horses and chickens. We we moved here with 2.5 acres, it was a lot with the dogs and cats. Now I'm down to 2 dogs and a cat. It never gets easy putting them down, but rewarding giving them a good life.

24. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

2.5 acres sounds like heaven! I have 4000 square feet o_O who knows maybe another kitty will tiptoe its way to you again one of these days. Cats have a way of finding the good homes :bighug:

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
  25. Jajsmom

Jajsmom Member

Actually, two of the cats I used to own showed up at my house.

26. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

I’m not surprised at all!

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.