Not sure if Vet is doing right thing.

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by Cat girl, Jul 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cat girl

Cat girl Member

Hi I Have not been on in awhile.Here is update first.Lantus didn't work for Miss kitty so she was on Novolin N for 11/2-2yrs.Novolin N was needing too many doses to maintain her blood sugar levels.Took her to Vet and having her switched to Vetsulin and vet wanted to start her on a very high dose I don't trust.She said to start Miss Kitty in 2.5 units!Miss kitty was taken in for multiple issues and blood work was done and she is suffering from very very low potassium from her insulin vet said and told me to take Miss kitty off her Insulin completely Until her potassium levels come back up.She is being put on 2 potassium pills a day.Not sure how long Miss kitty will go without her insulin and that worries me.Does she really need to stop her insulin completely to get her potassium back up again?Has anyone else had this issue with their diabetic cat?Miss kitty also is suffering from an allergy or something.Her eyes are watering and she keeps itching her nose and sneezing.I have been giving her Claritin for the symptoms but vet gave antibiotics clindamycine just in case it is infection which has made Miss kitty super sick so I stopped giving it to her.Miss kitty didn't have a fever and after blood work vet never said anything about her white blood cells being up so I wonder if she even needs it?I spoke to vet office today about the antibiotic and am waiting for a return call on it.I'm probably all over the place with this post so hope everyone understands everything ok.Been giving Miss kitty Pepcid and had to give her some Nutri-cal even though it has high carbs in it.She stopped eating completely and had to have something.

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I have never heard of insulin causing low potassium. Interesting. It's it the insulin causing it, or the diabetes itself? Do you have a copy of the lab report you could post?

3. Cat girl

Cat girl Member

I didn't get a copy but I will when I go back to vet tomorrow.I looked online and I found sites that talk about how insulin can cause low potassium.It causes the potassium to go into the cells where it isn't available for the rest of the body.Also just found out her white blood cells are fine and temp.but she wants to switch the antibiotic.https://allnurses.com/nursing-student-assistance/potassium-and-insulin-339630.html
    http://diabeteslibrary.org/insulin-and-potassium/

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.