Not sure what to try next

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by Sandjules & Mama Cat, May 11, 2019.

1. Sandjules & Mama Cat

Sandjules & Mama Cat Member

Posted this under the general health board too ... wasn't sure where it should go.

Hi, all. It has been a while since I've posted, sort of in limbo. Recently had Mama Cat's general bloodwork done again, since she still isn't gaining weight. According to vet she has actually lost 3 lbs since last October. The thing is, she eats everything we put in front of her, usually about. 1 1/2 can of friskies each day ... if not more. Given she paces all the time and has some twitches, vet thought for sure it would be a thyroid issue, though her levels were fine before. Thyroid came back ok, but liver enzymes were high. Everything else ok. He then did a scan of her liver to check for abnormalities ...nothing. All organs look good.

After consulting with two vets ... one says change from friskies back to DM can, and see what happens. The other vet says to try Science Diet liver formula and maybe a liver supplement like Denamarin ... first vet said not necessary since she doesn't have liver problems. Attributes high numbers to diabetes and pretty much shrugs it off.

If she were an old person someone would say we should give her ensure. LOL

So what now? I feel ok with her BG levels ... probably some room for adjustment, but I wouldn't want them to go much lower. Think I should feed her more? Try one of the other foods with more fat and calories? Is there a dietary supplement to help her gain weight and is safe for diabetic cats?

Sorry for all the questions.... we need help.

Thanks.

2. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Hi Julie, I'm sure you already know but you have received a couple replies on your Main Health post :).