Not too sure how much to dose my cat tonight.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by PatJ, Dec 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PatJ

PatJ Member

Would be glad for advice. My cat went to the vets yesterday morning to have a dental, so was starved from 11.0 the night before and couldn't have his insulin. The vet kept him overnight and because he wouldn't eat she couldn't give him insulin that night or the next morning. I tested him when we got back and he was 25.0mmol/L and a couple of hours later he'd gone down to 21.7, which I didn't think was too bad considering he'd missed 3 shots. I'm going to give him his insulin soon, and I'm wondering if, after he's missed 3 shots, it would be a bit of a shock to his system if I gave him the full 2.50 that he had before he went to the vet? Or would it not be a problem? He's eating well now. Would be grateful for some advice. Thanks.

2. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm sorry no one has responded to your post. It is a quiet time on the board and I do not see any Prozinc users on. I did not use Prozinc.

I think his numbers are high enough. After missing 3 shots, it is important to get some insulin into him.
    A dental can have a good effect on a cat's numbers, in some cases lowering them considerably.
    As long as William is eating and you can get a couple of tests in to see which way he's headed, of 1.5 or 2 units.

Again, I have no Prozinc experience and my advice may be overly cautious.

3. PatJ

PatJ Member

I'd rather be overly cautious than give him too much. I'm just about to give him his insulin so I think I'll try 1.5 for starters and if it's not enough then I'll build it back up again. Thanks for that. I was just a bit worried that it might have been too much for him to cope with to give him 2.50 after a break. It wasn't much of a break, but a break nonetheless. Thanks so much for replying.

4. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

So glad Kel was around to offer a hand on Saturday night. At night it can be quiet here but if you put a "?" prefix on your title, it will grab the attention of those online.

Just had a peak at William's SS and notice he had a BG of 2.9 (52 US) on the 3rd of Dec. I realize you are working back up to the full dose but in doing so I would suggest you take a dose reduction and only go up to 2.25u. You don't want William dropping too low and with ProZinc we recommend reducing the dose by 0.25u anytime you get a reading under 5 mmol (90 US).

Having just had a dental, that may also cause his numbers to start dropping once the inflammation from surgery is gone so you may find the dose will have to be reduced further in the not too distant future.

Hope Williams recovery is going well. :)

jayla-n-Drevon likes this.
  5. PatJ

PatJ Member

Hello MrWorfMen'sMom,

Haven't logged in since Saturday so have only just seen your reply.Thank you:) I'll keep him at 2.25 for a while to see how he goes. Just hope he starts to drop a bit soon. He was 21.7 after missing three shots so you'd think the ProZinc would make him much lower than he is at the moment:( At least he's eating well now:) Thanks again.

6. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

I'd give the 2.25u dose a few days. The inflammation from surgery should be settling now and hopefully numbers will start to come down soon. If they don't then you can always increase again but better to be cautious right now as numbers often drop following dental surgery.

7. PatJ

PatJ Member

Thanks for the advice. I'll keep him on 2.25.He's definitely on the mend, so hopefully he'll start to get lower soon. Then there'll be all the fun of watching out that he doesn't go too low - which he's quite good at! Thanks for helping me.

MrWorfMen's Mom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.