Nothing but problems with Beanie..

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by beanie and zara, Oct 2, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beanie and zara

beanie and zara New Member

I tried out the 31 gauge syringes (Thank you all again for the suggestion!) on Beanie this morning and late today. He still fought me… I hate having to hold him down and plead with him to just get it over with twice a day. Today resulted in a half fur shot because he pulled away and bit me half way through. I love Beanie. as a 19 year old who struggles with anxiety, Beanie is basically my emotional support animal. He has always been here for me, and now I am repaying him by poking him with needles and having to physically restrain him to do so. A family friend that I confided in suggested rehoming him, I can’t possibly do that. My vet suggested I put him down upon diagnosis, NO WAY. I want to be able to have our routine down pat, for this to not be such a horrible situation every day. I am trying everything I can..(thinner needles, treats, speaking to him and trying to calm him)..nothing works with my stubborn boy. I hate to post here so frequently complaining about my problems with Beanie, but I really need some tips on how to let him know that shot time could be over within 2 seconds if he just let me do it! Did anyone else have an extremely stubborn kitty upon diagnosis? How did you manage to encourage your little friend to accept insulin shots? Thank you all in advance. Yet again, I’m struggling.

2. Denver & Magic (GA)

Denver & Magic (GA) Member

Im sorry you’re dealing with this…

The trick I use with Magic is to wait until he’s eating and then start petting him and then give him his shot. He’s so preoccupied with his head buried in the food dish that I don’t even think he realizes he got a shot. That trick may work for you too.

Katherine&Ruby likes this.
  3. beanie and zara

I can try to save a bit of his food, and give him it as he is getting his shot..that could work. I sure hope so anyway, thank you for the tip!

4. Candy&Company

Candy&Company Member

Can you tell me a little bit more about Beanie? I see his picture there and he's ADORABLE but, I also kinda notice the look on his eye and it reminds me SOOOO much of my Fena.

I saw in your post you tried out the 31 gauges? For a cat like this that's TERRIFIC. Keep those! Can I ask some questions?

1.) How is he with touch? For example is he more hands off, stand offish? Does he only like certain touches on certain places?

2.) How easily distracted is he, and by about how much time, do you know?

3.) What helps calm him, and what stresses him out?

3.) Are you alone for shot time? (I was/am).

We can help, please don't give up!

5. Katherine&Ruby

Katherine&Ruby Well-Known Member

This is the way that I got Ruby to learn how to tolerate her shots. She never noticed while she was eating. Now she just sits after her test and waits for me to inject.

6. beanie and zara

Beanie loves being touched. DEMANDS to be petted behind his ears all the time…hates being scruffed. I cant get a good grip on him because he barely has enough scruff to even just pinch. He’s a very smart cat, and distracting him is very hard. He still knows what I’m up to! He loves his mouse toy, he cuddles it when he goes to bed. Ive tried placing it near him for shots, but it didn't really work. For stresses, I’d say me repeatedly trying my best to scruff him is probably why he freaks out so much. I am alone for shot time about 99% of the time, sometimes my boyfriend is in the room with me, it doesn’t affect his behaviour for worse or better unfortunately…Thanks for the encouragement :)

7. Candy&Company

Candy&Company Member

What about his hip area, or the sides of his shoulders? Shoot, there's a picture around here on the forums about all the different places that're good to stick but I can't seem to find them. I'm gonna page some people and see if they can help..

@Sienne and Gabby (GA)

@Wendy&Neko

@Marje and Gracie

@Chris & China (GA)

@tiffmaxee

Is there anywhere on Beanie that he enjoys or doesn't mind you touching him, rubbing, pulling, grooming, etc?

8. beanie and zara

Tried the hip area…paid for it with my skin. scruff he hates, hips he hates, shoulders he hates. He does NOT like being pinched anywhere unfortunately.

9. Candy&Company

Candy&Company Member

Hm anyway you can kinda "ease" him into it? Like giving full body massages where you knead/tent/etc. the skin without any needles in sight? How about when a good treat goes with it? For cats like this, I don't recommend chewy treats, but something a bit more time consuming like maybe a part of shredded chicken, or a wet can treat of a different brand, etc? If you give that, can you rub, touch, pull to get him used to it at all...?

10. beanie and zara

I’ve got some cooked plain chicken in the fridge. I will try to just lightly scruff him a few times and give him chicken…then sneak the shot in

11. Heather38

Heather38 New Member

I do it when my cat is eating and he doesn't seem to be bothered by it at all. Sometimes he winces a bit, but after I shoot I brush him some with his favorite brush near his tail. My completely unfounded hypothesis is that the stimulation on another part of his body away from the injection site redirects his attention and senses there.

12. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

13. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

Charlie's skin is tight around the scruff also. I usually pull up the skin that is lower on his back while he is eating and give it there.

Another thing is that Beanie may be responding to is your emotions. If you are nervous or expecting a struggle, he will pick up on it and react the same way. Relax before giving it to him. Sing a silly song to him while doing it. Yes this sounds like strange but it works.

14. beanie and zara

You won’t believe what worked!
    I gave him his needle, he gave me an angry little meow. I insisted to him it must have been a bug, and I quickly disposed of the needle. Gave him a treat and engaged him in playing with his mouse toy…completely forgot about it and didn’t give me the cold shoulder. Who would have known that chatting his ears off and blaming the pinch on a bug would work:p

Lisa and Witn (GA) likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.