? Numbers all over the place...any ideas as to why?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Hshray, Apr 4, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hshray

Hshray Well-Known Member

My cat is on vetsulin and his numbers are all over the place. We’ve been gradually increasing his dose. He is rarely in the blues and has never had a number in the green. Today we have him two units in the morning and it looked like his numbers were coming down nicely but they started going up again before his usual nadir. Any ideas as to why or suggestions as to what we can do to get him regulated?

2. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

I think you're doing fine on the increases, for one. Some kitties need a little more juice than others. What could have happened today was a bounce.

Note the part in bold, I suspect this may have happened to George today. I think the other part that needs faced is that on Vetsulin, you're only going to get so far. It has a very short duration and due to it's fast action actually encourages bouncing in a lot of cats. I would switch to Lantus or Prozinc which are better designed for felines. If you look at my spreadsheet you can see where we were on Vetsulin and switched to Prozinc with immediate improvement, then with the switch to Lantus even more improvement. Lantus can be purchased from Marks Marine Pharmacy for a third of the cost, making it cheaper than Vetsulin in the long run.

Diane Tyler's Mom and Hshray like this.
  3. Hshray

Hshray Well-Known Member

Thank you so much for the reply! This is very helpful and makes a lot of sense. It’s good to know what is considered a large drop and sounds like that’s probably what has happened with George a few times at least.

And I agree about the Vetsulin too. I will ask the vet about switching to Prozinc and hopefully that will help us get longer coverage and more consistency. I really appreciate the information you’ve provided!

Panic likes this.
  4. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

I would encourage you to do some testing on the Pm cycles as cats often drop lower at night. At the moment you have no idea how low he could be dropping over night.
    I favour Lantus myself. While there are people here who use Prozinc and can help, we have a lot more people who use Lantus.

Hshray and Diane Tyler's Mom like this.
  5. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

I also like Lantus

Hshray likes this.
  6. Hshray

Hshray Well-Known Member

It looks like it may have happened again? really not good numbers today :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.