Numbers all over

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Lisa and little, Apr 9, 2019.

1. Lisa and little

Lisa and little Well-Known Member

hi again! So yesterday we did pretty well and now we are holding flat in the 300s, and have been for the most part. I guess I am just confused as to what to do next looking at late March numbers on 1U. Should I even be considering them at this point? NO I assume. I don’t know if she’s flat while getting used to the tiny increases or if I should bump up again at PMPS numbers permitting which it seems they will be. She was mostly flat on 1.2 (4 cycles) and we have been at 1.3 for 5 fairly flat cycles but for one. Do I give it more time based on yesterday or raise to 1.4 or maybe even 1.5. I hate seeing the pinks but I also know that little seems to respond better and not bounce with tiny increases. I want to go right to 1.5 but not sure I should “skip” 1.4 while I am desperate to get her out of the pinks.. I don’t want to go on a trampoline ride !!! Thank you my Gurus!!!

2. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Hi Lisa! I was wondering how you and Little were doing! For most cats, you can increase the dose 0.25 every third cycle, so you could quite easily to go 1.4u tonight and 1.5 in the morning and still have only increased by 0.2u. Or you could do two cycles at each dose if you want to be a little more subtle. When Sam is doing poorly, I'll often increase by 0.1u each cycle until we get on top of it. Of course it helps that he isn't all that prone to bouncing, so that may be too fast for Little, but you get the idea.

3. Lisa and little

Thanks @Djamila I guess I’m just upset that we are heading up from 1U back in late March rather than down think I’m gonna go slow but we will see tonight how I feel. My patience pants are in the dryer!!

4. Lisa and little

Well I chickened out and shot 1.4. When I see a totally flat cycle it normally means a bounce is eminent but usually the flats are yellow not pinks. Also where the heck is 1.5 on a U100? Think I’ll use U 40 for that as it’s marked more precise. Anyone think it’s an issue going back and forth between U40 and U100? I am not worried about screwing up my dosing so if that’s the only draw back....

5. MamaMug

MamaMug Member

I'm curious to know the answer to this too, as we have both u-40s and u-100s out of our ears at this point. My gut tells me it's likely not an issue so long as you're using the conversion chart ... same insulin, different method of measurement. But I could be totally off.

6. Tina and Gracie (GA)

Tina and Gracie (GA) Member

There is no harm in switching between the two if you are comfortable with the conversions.
    I personally would have a hard time switching between the two, as I like consistency.

7. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

1.5u is like a skinny 4 line. It's part way between the 3.5 line and the 4 line. Yes, it's hard to see, but if you play around a little you'll get a sense of it.

Personally I wouldn't switch back and forth, but I don't have a science-y reason for that - it just feels like introducing an unnecessary variable/risk of grabbing the wrong syringe on some sleepy morning, or doing the conversion when you shouldn't.

MamaMug likes this.
  8. Tina and Gracie (GA)

Tina and Gracie (GA) Member

I guess part of my reasoning for not wanting to ever switch back and forth is for the fear of grabbing the wrong syringe, or math error. :):)

9. Lisa and little

Thanks all. I hide whatever needle I am not using... yes even from myself!! I just feel like I will get a more precise 1.5 with U40.

10. Lisa and little

They call me mellow yellow...:banghead: